Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Predictions

Options
  • 07-05-2007 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

hi, im new to this and I was just wondering what other teachers in other schools are predicting to come up this year. My prediction is as follows:
    The single text:Macbeth, Kingship/the plays relevence in the 21st centuary or Macbeth/Lady Macbeth
    The Comparative:Theme/Issue and general vision and viewpoint
    Poetry:I personally hope Monatague but its nearly a guarantee that one of the female poets will be up.
    Everyone seems to be saying plath but there is a strong chance Bishop could be up as the have asked Plath two years in a row a few years back and the same with bishop.
    Any opinions?
    Im a repeat btw!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

The relevance of Macbeth in the 21st century?? I dunno where'd I'd even start if I had to answer that one :rolleyes:
    I'd say Cultural Context is more likely to appear than Theme or Issue for the comparative, not that I have any basis for saying that.
    As far as poetry goes I'm hoping Plath will come up since I've put so much effort into learning her stuff. Allegedly Plath and Montague are the most highly tipped for the paper this year, so if you want to be really economical learn them inside out and ignore the other 6. I'd be very surprised if neither of them came up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 sully88

thanks, our teacher is really tipping the relevence of macbeth in the 21st centuary to be there. I dont know what thats based on though! Last year i was told for definate a question was going to be on the paper for the single text at an easter revision course, so i learnded off an A grade answer. But of course it didint come up. So dont put all your eggs in one basket or you could have to do this again like me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

English is probably the most unreliable thing to give any tips on. Like, there's no way in hell of knowing what will come up as there doesn't seem to be much of a pattern. The only lucky thing is that there isn't a whole lot they can ask you on Macbeth..

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

There's no way you can predict what is going to come up. Ok...there has been an irish poet and a woman poet up every year. You never know..they may change it/ not decide to put them on. And as for macbeth, its so hard to predict for that. All you can do is learn quotes, have some notes on kingship, magic, relationships, and each of the main characters and i would say you would get away with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

English is probably the most unreliable thing to give any tips on. Like, there's no way in hell of knowing what will come up as there doesn't seem to be much of a pattern. The only lucky thing is that there isn't a whole lot they can ask you on Macbeth..
    Wait...what?
    You can't predicate exact questions but you can save yourself a lot of time.

For example, for the comparative, you'd be pretty safe just learning general viewpoint and vision. Because theme/issue and CC came up last year.

And for poetry, Plath is the more likely of the female poets because shes only come up twice, and bishop three times including last year. Montague is also a good bet because its his first or last year on the course( I can't remember)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Montague Plath Kavanagh Frost....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Montague SHOULD come up, his last year on the course and he hasnt come up yet....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I'd love Frost to come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Montague SHOULD come up, his last year on the course and he hasnt come up yet....

LOL, it's his last year again now? I thought it was his first...then his last....which is it, seriously??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

or you could go and find out >_>

In fact, it's neither his last nor his first, he was on in 2002 but didn't make it onto the paper. He is also on the syllabus for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 eimear89

Poetry: Kavanagh, Montague, Frost and definitely Plath. There's only two female poets on the course and Bishop was up last year

Comparative: general vision + viewpoint and cultural context. Theme/Issue is unlikely seeing as it's been up two years running.

Macbeth: erm, the usual I suppose. Imagery, appearance vs. reality, characters etc. This is the question I'm worrying about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Maybe I'm mad, but does this board contain last years predictions?
    Iam too lazy but who wants to see if last years predictions actually came through

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

Just a general caveat in regards predictions for the English paper: don't rely on them too heavily. Especially with the first year/last year on the course logic. The same poets have been used in various combinations on the LC course for years, so it's never their last year on the course. With famale poets, that one in impossible. I remember when I was doing mine, everyone had learnt the same famale poet because she hadn't come up in previous years, and it was her "last year" on the course. She didn't come up, leaving a lot of people feeling a bit silly.

All bets off, if you do three poets one of them will come up. Do whatever you feel most comfortable with. There is no point in studying a poet you simply cannot grasp just because everyone thinks they will come up. The same goes for the single text and comp. studies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Everyone is saying Plath will come up. It could be Bishop. Plath had a double whammy 03, 04

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

All bets off, if you do three poets one of them will come up.
    what? That's not true at all, it's likely, certainly, especially if you choose three highly tipped poets, but not definite, not by a long shot. Study five poets, one of them will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

plath frost montague kavanagh

Bam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 parky1303

Hey. I may be insane but i've decided that they'res just too much on the english course to be learning on top of every other subject soooo....

-For poetry, I'm ONLY learning Plath because if you make a list of what female poet came up every year, you'll see that if bishop came up again, it wud look a bit too patterned. I know they mighn't even give a female poet, but sher whats life without the risk...

-For comparitive, I'm only learning Theme or Issue to A-Grade and i'll skim over General Vision and Viewpoint just in case, but if you make a list of what came up over the years, it seems much more likely that a combination of T&I / GV&V is coming up.

-I will say that Macbeth is the least predictable because there's such a large scope of possible questions, But I'm tipping (in order of likelyhood) Kingship, Lady Macbeth, The witches influence in macbeths downfall, Relevance in the 21 century and know a rough character sketch of macbeth banquo and macduff.

And that's it my friends

Maybe I'm mad, but does this board contain last years predictions?
    Iam too lazy but who wants to see if last years predictions actually came through
    They did, mine did anyway. I got every poet right last year, and the topics for the comparative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 curious girl

They did, mine did anyway. I got every poet right last year, and the topics for the comparative.

Would be grateful if you would make predictions for what poet is coming up in 2007 from the following poets: Donne, Eliot,Kavanagh, Yeats, Montague Plath, Bishop and Frost. Also on The Comparatives are Theme/ Issue, General Vision and Viewpoint and Cultural Context, whish 2 do you think?
    Thanks ;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Copper_90210

nobody has really mentioned yeats yet! i'm really counting on him. has anyone any reasons why he shouldn't come up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭KarmaCreep

nobody has really mentioned yeats yet! i'm really counting on him. has anyone any reasons why he shouldn't come up?

He's the most recent of the Irish poets to come up. My predictions are Plath (token female and Bishop was up last year), Montague (he has never come up and is the only living poet), Frost (it's been a while) and Kavanagh (again it's been a while and he'll be the token Irish). However since Yeats didn't come up last year there is still a chance he'll come up this year but i wouldn't emphasize on him. Run through the papers and make your own educated guess, you don't always have to follow your teacher's opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

cos hes boring. and no one likes him. and he wroted about swans.

shazzyshaz wrote:
    cos hes boring. and no one likes him. and he wroted about swans.

Oh dear god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

Oh dear god.
    calm. it was a joke. my english is perfectly fine:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Yeats/Kavanagh with Plath/Frost to come up I hope.
    Ideally I'd like to be writing about Kavanagh though, easiest by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

I always wondered why Donne never gets mentioned. Is it because he's been up recently or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

My bets are on:

Single Text - Macbeth: Evil or Witches Significance
    Comparitive: General Vision and Viewpoint
    Poetry: Montague/Plath

I always wondered why Donne never gets mentioned. Is it because he's been up recently or what?

Yep. Last Year.

curry-muff wrote:
    My bets are on:

Single Text - Macbeth: Evil or Witches Significance
    Comparitive: General Vision and Viewpoint
    Poetry: Montague/Plath

Sounds quite plausible.

I got A2s on Montague, Plath and General Vision and Viewpoint so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Thats alright I didnt really engage with his poetry tbh. Style over substance FTL. Yeats, Kavanagh, Frost or Montague would be preferable. Plath is ok but the whole depression thing is kinda overpowering when writing about her and then youll probably answering the same as most other people by refering to the darker side of her poetry.

Advertisement