Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barking dog!!

Options
  • 07-05-2007 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm hoping someone has a solution to my problem. My neighbours scottie never stops barking when its in the back garden. Their garden backs on to the side of my house which means that the barking is really loud as we hear it through our air vents. Sometimes on a Sat/Sun morning. Every time we go into our garden front or back it starts to bark(constantly). To have a BBQ or eat in the garden is a nightmare. The owner of the dog is very aware that this barking is annoying to us.
    Last summer I couldn't take anymore and while it looked like the dog was about to ruin yet another evening BBQ I got the garden hose and pointed it throught he fence at the dog to shut it up and guess what it worked. The BBQ was saved as was our sanity. however, about an hour later the Gardai arrived to inform me that a complaint had been made against me by my neighbour. How embarrassing....for the cops not me. they actually had to respond to this complaint. What a waste of taxes and resources! Apparently the lady said I had sprayed her teenage daughter too. Well that defo didn't happen. Nice of her to admit that even if the daughter was in the garden she was doing nothing to control the dog. I called into the lady and asked the gaurds to witness. She gave me a bit of abuse and reckoned that if I didn't want to hear dogs barking I should have bought a house in the country and not an estate. This ladys other daughter is also a guard so no guesses as to why the ey responded. She said she feels threatened by us!! I am reluctant to call to her to ask her to keep thew dog quiet as her attitude is most unfriendly. Any suggestions?? I have read about some sonic gadgets but I have a hamster (so I am an animal lover too.). I am afraid it may affect the hamster. All suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JB1

HI,
    difficult problem you ahve there.I reckon you aren't on speaking terms and the neighbour would not agree to keep the dog inside when you have a BBQ or early mornings?

A sheltie is a sheepdog and will gurad his property (in the absence of sheep) vigorously-so he barks.Unless very well trained, they won't stop barking.
    I guess you ahve to get used to it if not on speaking terms wiht your neighbour-as long as the dog is in her yard there's nothing you can do.

However, it might be an idea just to sit down with your neighbour and talk.Other option might be to bribe the dog with a bone when you ahve a BBQ-that'll keep him too busy to bark..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

also....

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA32Y1986S25.html

1) Where, on a complaint being made to the District Court by any person, it appears that a nuisance has been created as a result of excessive barking by a dog, the court may—

( a ) order the occupier of the premises in which the dog is kept to abate the nuisance by exercising due control over the dog;
    ( b ) make an order limiting for such period as may be specified in the order the number of dogs to be kept by the respondent on his premises;
    ( c ) direct that the dog be delivered to a dog warden to be dealt with by him in accordance with the provisions of this Act as if the dog were an unwanted dog.
    (2) Before any person makes a complaint to the District Court in relation to a nuisance caused by the excessive barking of a dog, he shall serve notice in the prescribed form, within such time as may he specified in the notice, of his intention to make such a complaint on the occupier of the premises in which the dog is kept.

Contact your local dog warden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭okgirl

Madsl,

I think I may contact the dog warden for advice. But before that I might call into her and ask her to keep the dog quiet. I should tell her that if she isn't going to that I intend to contact the dog warden.
    We have joked about killing the dog for years but it's not really an option as we would be the chief suspects.

I am going to look into the sonic gadgets too.
    Thanks

Advertisement