Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extremely Tempted

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

How will I know if it's p35 though? Is it like socket 939 etc?

What are the good brands of psu's?

Also, go study! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Antec Sonata II
      2Gig CL4 ddr2-800
      DVD drive
      800GTS 640MB
      500GB Samsung
      Gigabyte ga-965DS4
      6600 c2d
      1240 with delivery, Komplett
        Cooler Master Centurion
        Seasonic 430watt
        2GB CL4 DDR2-800
        DVD drive
        Gigabyte GA-965p-DS3
        SUPERCLOCKED 8800GTS 640MB
        500GB WD Caviar
        Quad Core 6600
        1300 from hardwareversand, but you're getting Quad core and a superclocked GTS which actually beats the standard GTX on a lot of benchmarks.

You don't need XP, monitor kbd etc so I skipped all that.

Sorry just reading this now. So you say a superclocked 8800gts beats a 8800gtx?

Yes maybe it will at 1024*768 up the res to 1680*1050 and add some AA and AF, and the gts drops off to almost unplayable frame rates.

What im trying to get at, is who playes games at low res these days ? if the OP does he would be better of with a 1950pro. That will play any game up to 1280*1024 with AA and AF.

Timans wrote:
        How will I know if it's p35 though? Is it like socket 939 etc?

What are the good brands of psu's?

Also, go study! :)

If its p35, the chipset will be p35, also the name of the board will more then likely include p35. Its still lga775.

Good psu's are:

Seasonic ( first choice )
        enermax
        hiper ( really cheap, and very good )
        tagan
        zalman
        OCZ

Stay away from the following:
        NorthQ
        NZXT branded psu's
        Jeantech

You should be looking for a minumum or 500W, but a 600W would provide a greater upgrade path.

*EDIT*

8T8

Can you merge my last two posts please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I only have a 19" monitor at 1280x1024 but I want would want a gfx card which will look good on all monitors so I can upgrade monitor without fear or badness :p

Anti, pick me out a machine then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Anti wrote:
        Sorry just reading this now. So you say a superclocked 8800gts beats a 8800gtx?

Yes maybe it will at 1024*768 up the res to 1680*1050 and add some AA and AF, and the gts drops off to almost unplayable frame rates.

What im trying to get at, is who playes games at low res these days ? if the OP does he would be better of with a 1950pro. That will play any game up to 1280*1024 with AA and AF.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/evga_e-geforce_8800_gts_superclocked_320mb/page5.asp

54fps at 19x14 4xAA 8xAF is hardly "unplayable", and that's the 320MB version. No it won't beat the GTX at maxed out settings but a) it costs a lot less, b) he doesn't have a monitor to use the extra power with and c) By that logic, the Ultra is the best buy of the lot!

In answer to your question, practically every gamer I know plays at low res (ie 1600 or less), because most people don't have 30" monitors, and most people aren't obsessed with playing bleeding-edge games on bleeding-edge hardware. What I posted is a little over budget, but will be more than enough to satisfy the casual gamer for many years to come. A 1950pro is a great card, but no dx10 limits its futureproofing.

• Advertisement

papu wrote:
        amm it isnt all about watts , too many watts on a shi* psu will blow yer hardware usually 500-600 is a good place to start but if your goin for 2 gpu's and lots of hdd's 700-1kw is where its at

Legion Hardware's tests prove otherwise. they could only draw 530w on a quad-core dual8800 raid rig, and that was peak. 500w should be more than enough if it's a good psu. 1kw psu's are totally ott.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

well......kw psu's are sturdy can support massive amounts of hdd's and usually come with better extras than normal psus , lol why am i defending them i think there silly myself , yeah 600w psu on hardwareversand is really good 90euro bequiet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Regarding PSU's, the most important thing to concern yourself with is the PSU revision. This will appear like ATX 1.0, ATX 2.0, ATX 2.2. ... etc.

If you ever intend to run SLI G80's then you will need to be getting an ATX 2.2 PSU as it has 4 12v rails and has 4 PCIe power connectors.

Note: A 600w ATX 2.2 is a lot more stable than a 800w ATX 1.0

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/evga_e-geforce_8800_gts_superclocked_320mb/page5.asp

54fps at 19x14 4xAA 8xAF is hardly "unplayable", and that's the 320MB version. No it won't beat the GTX at maxed out settings but a) it costs a lot less, b) he doesn't have a monitor to use the extra power with and c) By that logic, the Ultra is the best buy of the lot!

In answer to your question, practically every gamer I know plays at low res (ie 1600 or less), because most people don't have 30" monitors, and most people aren't obsessed with playing bleeding-edge games on bleeding-edge hardware. What I posted is a little over budget, but will be more than enough to satisfy the casual gamer for many years to come. A 1950pro is a great card, but no dx10 limits its futureproofing.

Yeah i see your point there. but a 8800gtx will be a better buy in the long run. As the OP plans ot upgrade his monitor. Also, where on that link does a 8800gts beat a 8800gtx? And to be honest. I wouldnt even waste my money on the superclocked version. Just get a standard one and overclock it yourself. As with 99% of all superclocked card you cant push it any higher.

Meh, I guess I'm just a lot more wary of overclocking a graphics card than I am a cpu. I'd be a lot less confident of not frying the thing.

• Advertisement
      Advertisement