Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom problems

• 07-05-2007 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

:mad:
    Having major problems with eircom and of course tech support are fu****g useless. Im on the 2mb connection and i have been getting terrible speeds over the last 24 hours.
    This is what im shown on my modem/router page:
    Speed
    352/256 (kbps)

Obviously this is wrong. Ive reset the router to no avail. Anybody got any other recommendations on what i can do?

Have been with them for about a month and in general i have been getting nearly the full 2mb connection......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

i downloaded about 5gb worth of stuff yesterday - something ive never come close to doing before - could they be throtelling me or something similar as a result?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

hi digiweb dsl is having probs to in the meath area so its sounds like its not just u.

interesting, im living in donore, drogheda co.meath.

Get this: was on the phone to an idiot from eircom support. He couldnt solve my problem so he said that he was going to send out an engineer to the exchange - he said that it was a free call out if it was an eircom problem but it would cost me 56 euro if they found out i was LYING to them on the phone and im at fault for the problem.

They are all as bad as each other, eircom, dell etc. Id consider myself a fairly calm person, but if i get on the phone with another idiot who can barely speak english than god help me:eek:

Anyone else in the region having trouble....?
    Suggestions for a fix.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Did you connect anything new to the phoneline recently, Sky box, new phone/fax, etc?
    Even if you didn't, disconnect everything from any phone sockets in the house. Then reconnect the modem only, without filter, to the Eircom master socket and 'hard' reboot it by unplugging from the power. Check your speeds again.

i just reset the modem again by holding the reset button for 30 seconds and this is my reading now:

544/256 (kbps)....

I havnt put anything new on the phoneline in a while.
    Maybe it will be back to normal tomorrow after another reset in the morning - or it that just wishful thinking?!...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

i just reset the modem again by holding the reset button for 30 seconds and this is my reading now:

544/256 (kbps)....

I havnt put anything new on the phoneline in a while.
    Maybe it will be back to normal tomorrow after another reset in the morning - or it that just wishful thinking?!...

What are your line stats showing as? they should be in the format xx/yy on the main set up page.

yea my line stats are not that good, but ive been getting nearly the full 2mb for about a month.......my stats are

46/31 dB

anyone got any suggestions on what to try.....?

i have azzureous and limewire installed on my laptop - could this be affecting the connecion.....?

I think/hope its an easily fixable eircom problem and that is the reason i am not getting anywhere near 2mb speeds

My recent speedtest:

123580655.png

Could you borrow a modem from someone else with BB to rule out the modem as the problem?

yea good suggestion but i know nobody with dsl, so thats not really an option. Could my problem be related solely to a faulty modem?
    I wonder how long it will take the engineer to give me a call........ no downloading until then!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is your laptop connecting by wireless or by cable? Have you scanned the laptop for spyware, viruses etc?

i connect to the modem both wired and wirelessly, so its not distance from modem etc thats affecting the speed. Yea ive run nemerous spyware programs today and i found a few and deleted all of them, so as far as i can see they is nothing on the pc now.
    One thing they did tell me on the phone is that there is a lot of things running in the background - i think there was 20 active tcp connections. Im a bit lost at this stage at what i can try......

I think its fair to say that you can rule out anything computer related (spyware, wireless/wired connections, etc). The modem should sync at the correct speed whether there is a computer conected to it or not.
    Your modem is not syncing at the correct speed so that would indicate:
    1. A faulty modem. (Not ruled out yet)
    2. Dodgy internal wiring in your house. (Not ruled out yet)
    3. Too many devices connected to the phone line. (Ruled out when everything was disconnected)
    4. Faulty BB filter. (Ruled out when everything was disconnected)
    5. A problem with the line between your house and the exchange. (Not ruled out yet)
    6. A problem with the equipment in the exchange. (Not ruled out yet)

Thats basically what you're looking at. If you can rule out as much as you can at your end, and the problem still exists, then it's reasonable to assume that it's Eircoms problem.

Btw, did the problem start with the recent return of wet weather?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

All those MS patches again today maybe ?

Advertisement