Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Biffy Clyro

• 07-05-2007 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Just had the new biffy clyro single living is a problem because everybody dies on repeat for the last while and i just gotta say my god what a song.

Is the rest of album of the same calibur, If so i NEED to check it out.

What do the rest of yous guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

radio edit was cut to shreds, the album version is about as epic as... well i can't finish that, but it is ****ing mind blowing.

the new album from what i've heard of it, isn't of the same calibur (it's more poppier), but if you haven't already check out their older albums namely infinity land and the vertigo of bliss, after you listen to the vertigo of bliss say this to yourself... "how the **** did they record the instruments in one day" - they did it somehow :P

the new album - puzzle - ain't out until the 4th of june, and has some predictable Storm Thorgerson artwork though :(

nope i complain about every single thing that i love discussing.

don't you see the irony in your post by the way?

i don't really see how the above post is complaining.

i agreed with the orignal poster that the song in question was brilliant, i then went on to answer his question about the album being of the same quality, i answered in my own opinion but didn't state that it was - since we are on a discussion board i figured that it's implied in any one of my posts. i then went on to say that the orignal poster should check out some of biffy's older material which is - in my opinion (of course) - of the same if not higher quality than "Living is a problem...".

the thing about the artwork, well i just don't like storm thorgerson, i think he's one of the most boring artists around.

all my posts our my opinion it's up to you whether you want to take them. if you think i moan all the time, you obviously don't read my posts very well.

now back on topic...

patricide, if you become a member on www.biffyclyro.com you can listen to two songs on the new album called "now i'm everyone" and "get ****ed stud" you can also sample recently released singles "semi-mental"(download only) and "saturday superhouse"(had cd and vinyl release) there too and on their bebo ( http://biffyclyro-music.bebo.com ) they have a acoustic version of saturday superhouse which imo is why i love biffy so much, they can take away the hugeness of their songs and strip it down to the bare essentials

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Nice one creamo, just saw the artwork. I like it its nothing too out there but its not basic either. heard the non radio edit there.....god that ****s cool.

Must go buy a few of theese albums now, o well there goes my going out money..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

Haven't heard the album version of "Living is a Problem" yet but even the radio version is ****ing amazing for me.. the album does look to be different from the older ones, but that's a good thing. No point in rehashing the old stuff.

There's a video of Saturday Superhouse acoustic on Youtube, they did it on Gonzo a while back. Very cool. Biffy can pretty much do no wrong in my eyes, that said I haven't really got into their b-sides yet. Their cover of Buddy Holly is fantastic though, it's not a thing like the original!

yeh it's what i love about biffy, i may not be mad into the newer stuff like i was their older stuff but the fact that they don't repeat themselves, do great strip down acoustics and make covers their own songs is what keeps me listening.

if you liked the "buddy holly" cover check out their covers of fleetwood mac's "you can go your own way" (glitter and trauma b-side) and franz ferdinand's "take me out" (was a radio session track) absolutely brilliant.

i have the upmost respect for any artist that doesn't do a carbon copy of a cover.

• Advertisement

yea i concur, just playing the cover straight gets boring. seems like ages to wait for the release of puzzle god damm i wanna hear that album. From what i say from an mtv live set the last day they are one amazing band. Who knew they could play it all so tight live.

Patricide wrote:
    seems like ages to wait for the release of puzzle god damm i wanna hear that album.

hey you're lucky you weren't a fan from the start ;), since blackened sky they released an album a year from 2002-2004, puzzle has been three damn years in the making, let's hope it's 3 times as good :p

oh yeah, that set is on mtv overdrive at http://www.mtv.co.uk/overdrive/MUSIC/id/32722 if anyone hasn't seen it. been at 3 Biffy gigs (but only seen them twice :p) and they are a godamn amazing live band.

they're prolific bastards, as well as those 3 albums a year they've between 5 and 11 b-sides per album! :eek: (thats including the iname and thekidswhorocktodaywillpoptomorrow eps)

yevveh wrote:
    oh yeah, that set is on mtv overdrive at http://www.mtv.co.uk/overdrive/MUSIC/id/32722 if anyone hasn't seen it. been at 3 Biffy gigs (but only seen them twice :p) and they are a godamn amazing live band.

they're prolific bastards, as well as those 3 albums a year they've between 5 and 11 b-sides per album! :eek: (thats including the iname and thekidswhorocktodaywillpoptomorrow eps)
    Nice one, ill be watching that again. Was one CRACKING set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

mon the biffy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just heard that song on tv there. Quite good. Maybe not as epic as you said people, but still a very good song. Must check out for some tour dates actually. Want to see these guys sooner rather than later.

Might want to go back on that thing I said just there. Heard it again today, it is quite epic alright. While not as epic as Citizen Erased or Song for the Dead, its getting there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I love Biffy and even though this new song is a little more mainstream than their usual stuff it is still genius and totally blew my mind when I heard it. This epic stuff suits them quite well. :)

New album is just ****ing immense, sheer audio bliss from start to finish for 49 minutes :D

i don't think "living is a problem..." is as mainstream as the previous two singles "semi-mental" and "saturday superhouse".

'Living' is amazing. Thank you for the anonymous tip of the cap there Cremo ;) I'm debating whether to get it now or wait til it comes out and buy it.. I'm buying it on June 4th regardless, but should I wait.. should I not.. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pariko

You really that fond of it Cremo? I've listened to it twice in it's entirety now, and it's a good album alright, but not as mindblowing as I thought it might be. I kinda had unfairly high expectations of the tracks I hadn't heard I suppose, given that so much was made available / played live before now... all that's been said about the running order being important rings true though. Oh, but I hate what they've done to Love Has a Diameter, it sounds like U2 :( A Whole Child Ago on the other hand was a nice surprise, by far the danciest thing they've ever done.

yeah i might of been a bit hasty with my last post, maybe it's the surprise of having something tangible from biffy in 3 years, so i'm not sure, think i need to listen to it in a different mood (i'm fairly pissed off and run off my feet atm).

i knew the album was going in a different direction so wouldn't really surprised by that as much but the lyrics are great i have to say.

yeah there's a bad U2 vibe off "love has a diameter".

great thing though is, biffy's next album will be a whole new direction again.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pariko

Yeah, a big f*ck off heavy schizophrenic Eradicate the Jaggy Stress direction hopefully ;)

Oh, and by the way, despite all I've just said it's still one of the best albums any of you scrubs are likely to pick up this year, so be sure to buy it en masse come June 4th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I just listened to Biffy Clyro for the first time earlier tonight. I listened to some of the new album and some of Vertigo Of Bliss. This band really aren't as good as I'd hoped...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

Lovin new album so far :) Flows really well... Just got sent this epk thingy, sent a shiver down my spine...
    http://streamos.warnermusic.com/wmedia/wmiuk/biffyclyro/EPK_RUDE_OutJune4_Hi.wvx

http://streamos.warnermusic.com/wmedia/wmiuk/biffyclyro/EPK_RUDE_OutJune4_Lo.wvx

• Advertisement

yeh got the new album today, does flow well i have to agree.

loving "folding stars" and "9/15ths" at the moment. also on the making of puzzle documentary they said "the conversation is..." is in one hell of a bizarre guitar tuning so much so that it took them a day and a half to record it. i'd love to know what tuning they used.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

Got the album.I'm a big Biffy fan.It's a good album with some quality tunes on it (Living,Who's Got a Match,Machines) but it's missing what I and I'd say alot of others love about Biffy.That strange time signature dis-jointed sound.It lacks their quality heaviness.It's clear they are trying to crack the mainstream.Era I still like them!Any word of an Irish tour?

http://www.drownedinsound.com/release/view/10307

Pretty spot on review here.

As for live dates they're supporting the Who in Marlay Park, and they're playing T in the Park so they're pretty much definitely playing ****** too.

My friend go the album, so I have it on my computer anyway. I'm quite liking this one. Some very good stuff on it. They are playing an Irish date, but thats about it so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Right, got the album during the week. Don't think it is as good as Vertigo of Bliss anyway (haven't got the other albums yet) but i definately love it. Folding Stars, Now Im Everyone and 9/15ths are probably my favourites. The album version of Living is a problem... is so much better, they shouldnt have cut it down for the video.

Mongo wrote:
    but it's missing what I and I'd say alot of others love about Biffy.That strange time signature dis-jointed sound.It lacks their quality heaviness.It's clear they are trying to crack the mainstream. Any word of an Irish tour?

couldn't sum up the album any better myself. i miss those odd time signatures so much :(

they are doing a support slot for the who in which if they play anything pre puzzle we could see a mass casualty list in marlay park :D

they are also playing that festival that can't be named.

they are then setting up a UK tour for november so i'd imagine we'd see them back here around december as they like touring here in december.

Ok, listened to the album more on two long bus journeys. I know my favourite song from the album anyway: Who's Gotta Match. Its so damn catchy, cant help but sing along. Overall it is an excellent album, pity I wont get to see them live anytime soon. I'm now afraid that they're gonna get too big and only come to Ireland and play somewhere like the Ambassador(nothing wrong with venue, just wanna see them elsewhere). Fair play to them for going straight from Glasto to Paris, probably sacrificed a higher slot to do so. Things definately looking up for this band.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the one bad thing about the album. It comes in Who's Gotta Match? Why do they have to sing exactly like Fall Out Boy? At least it only takes about 3 seconds, and the other 2.20 make up for it, but still...I was shocked and disappointed.

where do they sing like fall out boy?

it's strange but i can actually hear the lyrics in who's got a match unlike in fall out boy's songs.

After the second verse, they sing it once normally, then the big layered vocals that instantly make me think of FOB(unfortunately).

I'm a fire and I burn tonight
    I'm a fire
    I'm a fire and I burn tonight
    I'm a fire

Its the bit where it says "I'm a fire"(above) only. After the second verse. Its so similar, its uncanny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,893 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just downloaded 'Puzzle' there on a recommendation and I think I'll be getting the rest of their albums straight away. It's brilliant. 'Machines' is just beautiful. It's my new 'Glycerine'.

Advertisement