Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

refund for a 2.25EUR bottle of water (500ml)

Options
  • 07-05-2007 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi, I went into a deli-type place in Stephen's Green and got two bottles of water. The cashier said 4.50 and i thought it was a mistake, but seeing as there was a queue I just paid and walked out. But then looking at my receipt I went back to get a refund, explained to the manager that my friend and I agree that 4.50 is too much to pay for one litre of water (500ml bottles), he made a face and more-or-less threw the money back at me without saying anything.

What I wanted to know is if anyone else had it in them to bring water or item of similar value back to get a refund because of the extortionate price? Were you treated like an idiot?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You knew how much it was at the counter when you paid. You had no right to a refund.

The manager gave you one out of goodwill, and was unhappy about it.

That's all I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Yeah i would have thrown it back at you aswell im sure he has better things to be doing then dealing with sombody moaning over €2.25.

lol i doubt anyone else has had to bring back a bottle of water or an item of similar value, you could be on your own there my friend :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Yeah i would have thrown it back at you aswell im sure he has better things to be doing then dealing with sombody moaning over €2.25.
    If you get overcharged, does it really matter by how much before you should complain?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭InTouch

Alright then I suppose I was a bit harsh in bringing it back for a refund, but I don't think I'm the only one who has ever done that. Although Irish people are bad at complaining... I don't think that price is fair, almost five euro for a litre of water. But I suppose they've to roll in the cash some way or another...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If the price is on display, then he could have told you where to go, price you see is price you pay which you did. You don't pay if your not happy with price, not afterwards. Manager sounds like he did you a favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

once you walk away from the till tbh, you've feck all comeback.

when you go to the till with water you are making the offer to the cashier that you want to exchange money for the goods this implies you are willing to pay the price that they advertise.

if you don't like their prices then don't buy simple as.

the price wasn't advertised. I was about four paces away from the till when i stopped and looked at the receipt. It's an open place , Stephen's green ,where all those little restaurant cafes are. I think Ireland is just used to paying a lot for so little.

InTouch wrote:
    the price wasn't advertised. I was about four paces away from the till when i stopped and looked at the receipt. It's an open place , Stephen's green ,where all those little restaurant cafes are. I think Ireland is just used to paying a lot for so little.
    "The cashier said 4.50 and i thought it was a mistake, but seeing as there was a queue I just paid and walked out."

You were given the price and you agreed to pay it. They gave you the price before you paid it. You didn't blindly pay it, you considered the price but thought it best to not hold up the queue. Your problem unfortunitly.

I agree with you there. I've learned my lesson on that one! :D I'll think twice next time I want to buy water in the centre of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i buy 2 litre bottles of water for 33c from dunnes. 4 times the amount for 1/6 of the price. can't go wrong there :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

IMO it is extortionate what retailers charge for water.

In musgraves 24 bottles of 500ml ballygowan is about €10.50 (44c per bottle) + VAT. A 24 pack of 500ml coke is just over €14 (59c) yet magically in most shops the water ends up dearer than coke when it hits their fridge!

IMO decent retail price for water is about €1.10 - €1.20 and for Coke €1.30 €1.40.

Water brands such as river rock & Galway and some others are about 20% cheaper than ballygowan and as such should retail at a straight €1.

If you get overcharged, does it really matter by how much before you should complain?

He wasnt overcharged though, that was the correct price for the product.

Try working in the airport and see how much a bottle of water costs you :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

What price does the bottle of water need to be before it's okay to take it back for a refund? If the price wasn't clearly displayed and you felt it was overpriced upon paying then you were right to go back. More fool to those who would just walk away

Why would you pay for it in the first place if the shop guy makes you aware of the price?

By all means - if you don't try you won't get - so try and get a refund if you want one.

The point is that the price is made clear at the counter and it's paid anyway - don't expect them to hug you for asking for a refund, don't even expect a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Without coming across as a grumpy old man, I think people should start complaining as soon as they think they are being overcharged, regardless of how much it is; otherwise the following scenario applies:

Week 1: something worth €2 is priced at €2.50; you buy at €2.50, thinking it's overpriced, but you don't complain because it's only overpriced a little
    Week 2: some other retailers follow suit because they hear someone's getting away with the extra 50c; the €2.50 becomes the norm in your head, and comparing prices reinforces that notion

Fast forward to Week 6, now that you're used to the €2.50
    Week 6: something perceived as worth €2.50 is priced at €3.....

etc, etc.

I seem to remember bars of chocolate jumping from 35c to 75c or so when we switched to the euro - now it's the norm.

As for the scenario in question, you should have embarrassed the shop by asking for the manager and holding up the queue; but yeah, once you agreed to pay it you were only entitled to a gripe - you weren't entitled to a refund.

Feck it, for €4.50 you could nearly have bought a scone in a hotel! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

[/QUOTE] As for the scenario in question, you should have embarrassed the shop by asking for the manager and holding up the queue; but yeah, once you agreed to pay it you were only entitled to a gripe - you weren't entitled to a refund.
    [/QUOTE]

I found recently that a regular bag of crisps in Centra is 89c - I simply asked if this was the correct price and I was told yes - I simply said I'd rather shop elswhere and left the crisps and the other few items at the counter. - Funny the londis store about 200 yards away charged 55c for the exact same item.

I have an advantage - I'm in retail and know the cost prices of many items so it really pisses me off when shops take the mick on prices . A bag of Crisps cost Centra approx. 22c - 25c. I understand all the costs of operating a retail store (€332,000 rent in Liffey valley for 2000 sq ft!!!) & the need for profits but to charge almost 80% over the rrp of a product is a joke!

Slice wrote:
    What price does the bottle of water need to be before it's okay to take it back for a refund? If the price wasn't clearly displayed and you felt it was overpriced upon paying then you were right to go back. More fool to those who would just walk away

Wrong :rolleyes:

Contract was complete when the OP handed over his money. He was refunded out of GOODWILL the shop was under no obligation to refund him after he paid for the goods.

The price not being displayed is a different matter completely

would you mind defining OP please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

InTouch wrote:
    would you mind defining OP please?

Original Poster

OP = original poster
    (unless you're asking something else ..)

++ edit ++
    beaten by tvnutz

• Advertisement

ciaranfo wrote:
    OP = original poster
    (unless you're asking something else ..)

++ edit ++
    beaten by tvnutz

No I'm just not used to these abbreviations. Thanks for the definition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

In fairness the transaction just occured - it's hardly as though the OP left the shop and returned a few days later for a refund. But of course you're right - the shop has no obligation to give a refund but that doesn't answer the question; how overpriced does a bottle of water have to be before it's okay to kick up a fuss over it? Putting all your faith in the market alone doesn't mean you'll get a fair deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mcaul wrote:
    I have an advantage - I'm in retail and know the cost prices of many items so it really pisses me off when shops take the mick on prices[/QUOTE]
    You dont have to be in the trade to know when you are being ripped off!

I would like to know those prices though. I have a strange knack of remembering/knowing prices of stuff in supermarkets, I rarely shop in newsagents or centra/spar etc, I am always astonished at the prices in there, and some nonsensical pricing. e.g. for ages I could get packs of ham and I think sausages in my local centra for less than in tescos, but sugar was over twice the price. Crisps are just unbelievable. At the moment tesco have 4 litres of pepsi for €1.57. 20cent for 500ml.

I have never brought stuff back after paying. I have refused expensive pints (price was not displayed in the door). I saw a mate in tescos bringing back bottles of beer though, said she wanted the money back, when asked why she said "cos I just saw they are only €1 next door", got the money back no problem.

I dont know why dunnes & tescos dont start with more of these mini stores similar to centra & mace but at reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

mcaul wrote:
    I have an advantage - I'm in retail and know the cost prices of many items so it really pisses me off when shops take the mick on prices . A bag of Crisps cost Centra approx. 22c - 25c. I understand all the costs of operating a retail store (€332,000 rent in Liffey valley for 2000 sq ft!!!) & the need for profits but to charge almost 80% over the rrp of a product is a joke!

What sort of crisps cost 22c - 25c??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

gillo wrote:
    What sort of crisps cost 22c - 25c??

A bag of Crisps cost Centra approx. 22c - 25c.

as in centra pay that for them, then YOU have to pay for them over 6 easy monthly installments.

@PCros
    Where did you get this completely incorrect information from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

ciaranfo wrote:
    @PCros
    Where did you get this completely incorrect information from?

K my post just vanished? Anyway yeah is that not the law with refunds?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭pleba

a shop can be fined for not displaying prices. I think the max. fine is €3000 per product. Unfortunately there are many many shops that don't display prices on all their products. They are breaking the law by not doing so.

PCros wrote:
    K my post just vanished? Anyway yeah is that not the law with refunds?:confused:
    One of the mods must have removed it for being incorrect.

To answer your question, you are NOT entitled to a refund if you simply change your mind even if it's 3 seconds later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

OP, walk up Croagh Patrick in the middle of summer and ask one the locals selling water what a bottle of water costs.
    Then you'll know all about expensive water

Advertisement