Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P35 chipset

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The P35 is a moderate improvement over the P965, it now has dual x16 PCI-e slots though they are not electrically x16 each I think x8 or x4 only.

The P35 also brings DDR-3 support but implementation is up to vendor can use DDR-2 as well.

The 35 series chipset also does away completely with PATA IDE no more integrated controller pure SATA though of course vendors can stick on a third party controller in the board if the wish.

The 35 series also does PCI-Express 2.0 which increases the bandwidth and is backwards compatible with current PCI-e 1.x spec but it's usefulness is dubious.

The main difference with the X35 chipset is that it will have proper dual x16 PCI-e slots.

Still if anyone has been holding off on a Intel system build better off getting a P35/X35 now with DDR-2. It will take a while for DDR-3 to ramp, performance wont be worth it & the DRAM makers will milk it for all it's worth while they can.

Review here of Gigabyte P35

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

525Mhz on AIR :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

If there is no ide channles whats the deal with opticle drives then?? do they use sata now too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

If there is no ide channles whats the deal with opticle drives then?? do they use sata now too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

yep, you can get a wide range of optican sata drivers these days. Though they are no faster at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Well heres the question you should ask yourself. Well rounded tried tested reviewed and improved p965 that are getting great results ORRRR. Brand new tech that costs more and are as yet unprooven. God dont you just love the thrill of the unknown.... lol

optican... lol again
    Not quicker but are tidier. if that matters. but generally more expensive too.

Well the death of IDE is welcome the inclusion of PATA IDE was what was keeping the optical drive makers from fully embracing SATA so now that has started to change.

I'd say the 35 series is just a matured 965 series so DDR-2 support should be pretty much solid at this stage though I would not risk being an early DDR-3 adopter as it could be a repeat of the RAM compatibility problems of DDR-2.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-133-CS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=923

Here is first samples off ddr3 and prices looks quite impressive as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Review of the Gigabyte P35-DS4 at Legion Hardware.

This board has an single IDE channel for all those stuck in the dark ages :D

ricka05 wrote:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-133-CS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=923

Here is first samples off ddr3 and prices looks quite impressive as well.

:eek: £293 for DDR-3 that's €429 euro's flippin hell that is ridiculous anyone who buys that needs to have their head examined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Strictly for early adopters with to much money me thinks. You could by ddr2 with higher clock and better timings for a fraction of the price. Although i dont know enough about this stuff to know if you can even compare them as they're different technology. What is goin to be the advantage of ddr3 anyway. any one any info on it? is it just the evil corporations needlessly forceing new technology on us to make us upgrade?... Again

Cant disagree-for this money i can get mobo+cpu+ram bundle...Prices should go down when other manufacturers will join the race.

p.s.
    How well will perform ddr3 comparing to ddr2 ?

Advertisement