Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Readings over the net - an experiment.

Options
  • 07-05-2007 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I was thinking about the experiments we did a while back where people were guessing what a user was concentrating on and then a recent "online tarot reader" and wondering about whether people think reading is easier/harder/the same over the interweb as in person.

My understanding was there should be a physical connection, but with the phone readings and online sites now offering tarot etc, I guess the trend has gone the other way (if you believe in such things).

In any case, I was wondering firstly what everyones opinions are on it.

Secondly, I was wondering if anyone wants to enter into an experiment.

I'd be interested if 2-3 people who can read and 2-3 people who can't would be interested in trying a reading. If we get volunteers, I'll pick 2 from each and they can PM me readings (just in case they are accurate).

I'll post the results of accuracy.

It'll be an interesting test, mainly because I can assure everyone that my posting style and previous posts will not actually give any accurate info on me personally ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

Ooh good one

By read I assume you mean read tarot cards and if so count me in

Ladybird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Ooh good one

By read I assume you mean read tarot cards and if so count me in

Ladybird

Well no, I'm happy to have different methods of reading too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Interesting experiment. You know you'll have hundreds of people wanting a free reading now!

I'd say my previous posts give away too much about me to be useful for experimental purposes (oh to be cool and mysterious like psi:cool: ) but hey if anyone just wants the practice I'd quite happily be a guinea pig!

I have had an online reading before, just a fun thing, no money involved or anything. To be honest, though it was very detailed and there were a few small things spot on, most of it was quite vague as in there were quite a few statements that you would twist to suit many life circumstances or people. It was nice reading though and I don't see any harm in it as long as people aren't forking out loads of money for it and aren't making drastic life decisions based on the outcome.... hmmm... but you can't control for that can you? Sometimes people turn to readings because they have big decisions to make.

Hmmm.. I'll be interested to see others' responses to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

psi wrote:
    Well no, I'm happy to have different methods of reading too.

Gosh I am a dimwit tonight:) I was thinking that I can read cards & palms & given that I can't see anyone's palms on the net, I had tarot in my head ...ok will stop the braindump now :D

littlebug wrote:
    Interesting experiment. You know you'll have hundreds of people wanting a free reading now!

The perks of being a forum mod ;)

Well I think it's an interesting topic. I'm fairly neutral on the paranormal. I'm neither a believer nor a skeptic, I like to remain open to everything. I've seen things to convince me that our current understanding of the way the world works is insufficient to explain everything, but thats another topic.

Ideally what I'd like to see is maybe a couple of people with different skills and then just some people guessing and see who has the highest accuracy.

Not because I believe it would prove anything, but it would be a nice contrast of different styles over the web.

Incidently as an off-topic aside, a good friend of mine used to read tarot in a house we all shared. She was learning and would generally read on Sunday nights. She had some rules, such as 1 reading a week and she wouldn't/couldn't take money until she had finished learning.

What always made it interesting was that when she'd explain a card, we all knew each other well so we'd all immediate relate what we knew about each other's lives.

An interesting note is that in one reading she predicted a life changing event that would eventually lead to fortune and salvation for one of the girls. That girl entered and won a world renowned beauty pagant, which eventually led to her acknowledging and overcoming and eating disorder.

Anyways, still looking for people to play this game :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Gillybean72

psi wrote:
    Hey,

I was thinking about the experiments we did a while back where people were guessing what a user was concentrating on and then a recent "online tarot reader" and wondering about whether people think reading is easier/harder/the same over the interweb as in person.

My understanding was there should be a physical connection, but with the phone readings and online sites now offering tarot etc, I guess the trend has gone the other way (if you believe in such things).

I'd be interested if 2-3 people who can read and 2-3 people who can't would be interested in trying a reading. If we get volunteers, I'll pick 2 from each and they can PM me readings (just in case they are accurate).

It'll be an interesting test, mainly because I can assure everyone that my posting style and previous posts will not actually give any accurate info on me personally ;)
    I would be interested in doing this, but I prefer to do it on AIM or MSN as its easier for me to get a connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I'd happily be a guinea pig for someone to try a reading of any kind on... I'm neither very informed on the paranormal, nor am I a complete sceptic, but I am getting more interested in it

Just a thought on someone who hasnt read before and would like to try.. if they google lotus tarot and find the free tarot reading site by Alison Day and use the universal 6 card spread and apply the same concentration to the querant as if they using normal cards... Im sure they will be pleasantly suprised if they trust in themselves enough.

It will make the experiment even more interesting!

ps I got my new man to use my cards and he turned 3 cards for me and they were spot on, he didnt know the meanings, but the cards meant alot to me..

I have a training book i showed him and he thought it was great how the 3 cards for him and for me were totally different AND totally accurate to our present situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭chebe

I'm in. Well I haven't posted on Boards in a very long time, so no chance on people cheating by researching me. But I've also been known to do a Tarot reading, but haven't in a long time, though if you're short on the readers I could do that too. I'm also very curious about physical distance/barriers/lack of connection having any effect.

Btw, hello, nice to meet you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

Oh go on then.....hee hee,count me in so......never did online readings before...prefer the human contact as I like to discuss things after a reading...never had an online reading done for me before either.
    Be interesting to see the results alright with the lack of connection as the reader is picking cards for the enquirer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

I'd be interested. Recently I've been asked to do an 'absent client' reading and never tried it before properly so I'd be interested to give it a go and it'd be interesting in comparison to an in person reading. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Just a thought on someone who hasnt read before and would like to try.. if they google lotus tarot and find the free tarot reading site by Alison Day and use the universal 6 card spread and apply the same concentration to the querant as if they using normal cards... Im sure they will be pleasantly suprised if they trust in themselves enough.

ps I got my new man to use my cards and he turned 3 cards for me and they were spot on, he didnt know the meanings, but the cards meant alot to me..

I have a training book i showed him and he thought it was great how the 3 cards for him and for me were totally different AND totally accurate to our present situations.

I just tried the free reading site, it was quite uncanny how accurate it was!

magnumlady wrote:
    I just tried the free reading site, it was quite uncanny how accurate it was!
    there you go! its an amazing site and I have full membership too which means I can do celtic cross and loads of other spreads.

Glad you liked it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

Actually I tried that site out and it is VERY accurate.

Its amazing how an online deck can do it yeah?

Right, if those who volunteered want to PM me with the criteria for their readings, we can try sort something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I presume you mean people who are doing the readings have to pm you? Or everyone? Never had one done before, so not sure of what you'd need to know!

The people who are carrying out the readings.

I have one so far.

I'm sure there are requirements on the part of those reading, so we should sort them in advance to give a degree of uniformity to the readers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Just a thought on someone who hasnt read before and would like to try.. if they google lotus tarot and find the free tarot reading site by Alison Day and use the universal 6 card spread and apply the same concentration to the querant as if they using normal cards... Im sure they will be pleasantly suprised if they trust in themselves enough.QUOTE]

I've used this although i'm not a full member anymore. Its fairly accurate although hard to understand sometimes, particularly when you ask a specific question.

Back on topic, has the experiment been done yet? Interested to see the results.

I have 3 people so far who have offered.

1 guesser and 2 readers.

One more guesser would be good.

I'll be supplying my name, my DOB and a question.

I need to come up with a question :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

You could also try facade.com. They do free readings with a number of different decks, layouts. celtic cross, single card, twisting path etc. There is no registration. You can also do rune and I Ching readings if you want, too.

You could also try facade.com. They do free readings with a number of different decks, layouts. celtic cross, single card, twisting path etc. There is no registration. You can also do rune and I Ching readings if you want, too.
    Yeah, used that one before, sometimes you get real dark readings, we worked this out at a psychic training forum as we all got horrid readings that were similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

psi wrote:
    Hey,

I would be very interested in receiving a reading, but sadly I am not qualified to give a reading in return.

Ok, I've sent details to 5 readers and 3 non-readers and sent my name, DOB and 1 question.

Ideally they'll all PM me back and I'll compare and contrast answers and give a review here.

What I'll do, is give a list of 1) spot on, 2)could be right and 3)very wrong for each group.

I won't give names of who said what, but each reader will know themselves.

I'm rather curious as to the answer (I'm actually a little nervous about it to be honest).
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Yeah, used that one before, sometimes you get real dark readings, we worked this out at a psychic training forum as we all got horrid readings that were similar!

I'm sure that depends on the pack you choose. Something like Rider Waite doesn't give dark readings (well not for me anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭celtic1888

Hi

had a reading online with GillCarr & i must say she definately was "heading" the right direction with regards me....fair play

Have everything from everyone now (although some people didn't understand the procedure and thought *I* was reading them - I haven't a clue about that).

I'll go through them all in detail and post tomor morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

psi wrote:
    Have everything from everyone now (although some people didn't understand the procedure and thought *I* was reading them - I haven't a clue about that).

I'll go through them all in detail and post tomor morning.

Hee hee..........now THATS an idea PSI, can you rise to the challenge.........perhaps this is Spirit doing its work in weird and wonderful ways huh?? LOL

Ta Da!

Ok, I'm going to post responses to major points in the readings I received. I value my own privacy, so I won't compromise anyone elses. I will put the reading number above each section and if the person who gave the reading wants to comment publicly of privately they may do so.

Couple of people (one in particular) when talking about general feelings, hit things on the head (if someone asked me to describe how I felt the last while, I think I would have written something similar to the PM I got).

Oh and the King of Wands (and and cards in general) seemed to come up alot, but the King of Wands was first card a couple of times.

Ok the Readings, in no particular order:

Reading 1:

1. Person I'm seeing is earth sign not fire, Optimistic or good natured is not a way I'd describe her (not he), she's a bit bitchy really :). I'm not satisfied though, so that's right.
    2. Not sure about any offer I'm pondering?
    3."dwelled too long" possibly issue with last relationship, waited too long to act.
    4. Yes, there is a water sign (pieces) I know is interested in me.
    5. I just took a new position a year ago, travel seems unlikely
    6. fight/relationship with younger sibling, child? Not sure about that. unless the "child" bit is metaphorical ;)
    7. I've no children and none currently likely.

Reading 2:
    1. Probably changed ALOT in the last few years - for one thing a half brother came into my life about 2 years ago.
    2. No aunts of note but a my mother is more friend than traditional mother figure.
    3. in very casual relationship now, noone in work that I've noticed - is someone (again) in the field who has a crush, but not in my work.
    4. children far away is right!!
    5. balance is right
    6. very true about previously being financially burdened
    7. indecisive/not taking action is true (or has beeen of late)
    8. Not sleeping is freaky. The weather change here has screwed my sleeping patterns.
    9. 3 year/travelling is interesting, I have 3 years left here on my contract and nothing else is keeping me in this state.
    10. J in glasgow? nope. I have work connection in S.A> but very formal and not very strong.
    11. On older person ill at the moment is male.
    12. Boat seems unlikely as I'm landlocked :( I miss the sea (I lived by the sea until last year).

Reading 3:
    1. Only moderately spiritual, no known psychic gifts, I can be sensitive but not really idealistic.
    2. Honesty and deep deep deep down romance, yes.
    3. strong future over the next 4 years (career wise it's make or break)
    4. making way for new things/challenged/finding balance .... pretty much sums up how I've been feeling of late - scary!
    5. Work.. conflict "discomfort is closer"
    6. financially and carrer wise, very sound, so not true about falling behind.
    7. conflict work resolution is because of interference, yes
    8. I have people under my supervision at the moment, so unless you mean more people... (I'm not sure I could handle more....), no.
    9. Move of home/career, if it's of my own free will, not for 3 years
    10. Education, only further qualifications I can receive are professional ones.

reading 4:
    1. Only only siblings are younger, none 2 years older.
    2. The girl I'm seeing is indeed 27, small though rather than mediim and it's very casual.
    3. Kids with this person is unlikely (not least because of gender issues).
    4. mind at ease.... well more that I was curious if anything serious was coming from any direction

reading 5:
    1. Happy chirpy person....I am visiting a person next week who is probably the happiest chirpiest person on the planet (annoyingly so) and who has a crush on me, Otherwise, dunno too many.
    2. Only close female is far away from me geographically, but does give me good advice.
    3. not sure about giving up close to the finish line. Don't see what it could be.
    4. Baby into my life. Ermm I'm seeing a girl very causally at the moment.
    5. popular.... hrmmm not so much here, I'm new in town.

So thats all so far, a few things that were common among the readings.

1. Children or a child or baby.
    2. Travel
    3. References to a person that fit the description of a friend who has a crush.

Thanks a million to everyone who took the time. All in all, I was quite shocked by the trends throughout the readings and a couple of things made me double take!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Very Interesting.

Do you have any comments on the readings from the readers versus guessers? I mean did either group have any more or less hits than the other?

Advertisement