Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tadpoles

Options
  • 07-05-2007 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

I have a pond out my back garden and have recently
    found tadpoles in it and would like to raise one into a
    frog and keep it inside as a pet just wondering if
    anyone knew about the care of these

thanks in advance bye

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

They breed in my pond every year too, I never felt the need to bring one inside tho because obviously our climate suits them. I suppose you could put them into some kind of tank heh, bear in mind that they spend a lot of their time out of water, so if you do decide to take one inside bear that in mind. Also, tap water is bad for their skin, make sure any water used has been left to stand for at least 24 hours. I have seen mine basking in the sun too so maybe a uv light might be a consideration ?. Not sure if they are diurnal or nocturnal. They eat insects, I fed mine some baby locusts last summer, they loved to eat them. Hibernation is also a consideration, as it's part of their natural life cycle.
    I'm only barely touching on stuff here tbh, I'm sure you would get better advice from other posters on here, or on the nature forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Could you not just leave them where they belong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If there are a lot of tadpoles some will grown into adult frogs (a lot get eaten) why not just provide plenty of cover for the frogs in the pond so that you have a few to watch rather than putting a wild frog into a cages environment where tbh they won't be that happy. Plenty of cover should encourage frogs to stay.

I don't think it's wise taking one as a pet they require a lot of care and if you get it wrong the frog could die at least in the pond they can hop in and out and find all the food they need. Just plant plenty of plants to encourage the insects they like to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I thought it was illegal to keep a frog as a pet, endangered or something like that.

I guess its not but check out http://www.ipcc.ie/frogkills.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

That site is excellent Saruman. There are several pairs of adult frogs that breed in my pond every year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It is certainly illegal to take a tadpole or frog as you suggest, without a licence.

Advertisement