Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Montague

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭seinstein

If you've ever seen the feature-length BBC drama, Martin Chuzzlewit, the amazing Pete Postlethwaite plays the character Tigg Montague and Montague Tigg, and instructs his friend (in what to call him) 'Crimple', "Montague please, Crimple...", pronouncing it as mon-ta-gew. Now if these are supposed to be acting out proper English characters from their day (it's a period drama, btw!), then the aforementioned pronunciation is more than likely the correct one! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭óbriain1988

he can only not come up for so long like - i say he'll be up this year... would prob prefer kavy baby though.

oh and it's most definately monta-gew..... never heard it the other way - my teacher says it the first way and he was taught by him (which kind of makes me montague's next in line.....no? :() and i was watching a show on rte the other night and it had an interview of him and he was introduced as monta-gew.

like i mean you can probably pronounce it the other way too like.... you'd be very very wrong though like. there's no doubting that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

&#243 wrote: »
    he can only not come up for so long like - i say he'll be up this year... would prob prefer kavy baby though.

oh and it's most definately monta-gew..... never heard it the other way - my teacher says it the first way and he was taught by him (which kind of makes me montague's next in line.....no? :() and i was watching a show on rte the other night and it had an interview of him and he was introduced as monta-gew.

like i mean you can probably pronounce it the other way too like.... you'd be very very wrong though like. there's no doubting that! :D
    Its settled then:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 stickytape

he lectured my teacher in College i think when he was in cork and he said the poet himself pronouned it Mon-ta-gew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cossyx

lemansky wrote:
    well my question as to how to pronounce it is specific to how HE pronounces it......I mean I didn't pull the Mon-tag pronunciation out of my ass.There are real people oyt there who pronounce their surnames like that.:)
    He lectured my teacher too, she pronounces it Montag-you I presume that's how he pronounces it so?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

cossyx wrote:
    He lectured my teacher too, she pronounces it Montag-you I presume that's how he pronounces it so?:confused:

He lectured one of my teachers too. Apparently he had a terrible speech impediment and was almost impossible to understand. He probably still has it today

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

definately Monta-gyou is that makes any sense. he's not french so the ue is pronounced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Mon-tagew, which is also the same as mon-ta-gew or mon-tag-you etc.

I honesly dont see where the logic is in pronouncing it mon-tag, a silent u and a silent e, never heard of that before.

Advertisement