Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artifacting...

Options
  • 07-05-2007 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a 7900GS off adverts, but didn't get a chance to use it intensively until today. It works fine in the desktop, and the temperatures are normal (about 43 when idle), but after a very short period of gaming it's artifacting badly, and then either locking up or crashing in a rainbow of colors. Rather then accept the inevitable immediately, just wondering if anybody can give me info on what I can do to try and definitely assess what it is!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I know its straight forward but have you checked the temps under load?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah sorry should have mentioned that. In the 50's or early 60's, so no danger there. Running Ati Tool now and it seems ok so far...

Some screens....:(

Guess the card is just screwed....it's been reseated, side of the case is off, fan seems fine, temperatures aren't bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Have you tried a different driver ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

8T8 wrote:
    Have you tried a different driver ?

Agreed, it isnt artifacting in a manner of a card overheating, but rather a driver problem, Try the newest beta driver, then a older driver that you know works. Also reinstall dx10c.

Another thing to try is to remove the card, and clean the pcie contacts, and blow out the pcie slot, incase of dust. Same with under the heatsink.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've tried different forceware ones and it's the same, I'm going to try the ngo forceware ones now....

The game locks up after a few minutes, crashes to either desktop and flashes on and off randomly, or just explodes in color everywhere....

Can you try it in another machine?

No, my other machine doesn't have a good enough psu to run it....I have tried another card in this machine, and it works fine.

I've added extra fans to my case and it seems to help but I'm still seeing the artifacts eventually, although this time the game doesn't crash, just goes weird in spots....temps are under 50 degrees under load

Also tried many different drivers, all the same....And of course, I've left the comp running with the side panel off, everything looks ok, no dust etc...

Here's a picture I took after about 40 minutes into a game...new drivers and with the extra fans

edit: Ran 3dmark, runs fine. But found this on another forum:
    Just a note to those of you having black screens, artifacts, and generally messed up windows when playing games with the 7900. While it may not solve your problems, I'd recommend looking for any "shadow" settings in your game, and disabling them. I'm guessing there's a driver issue involved with those graphics. The games that were crashing on me have run flawlessly since I disable object shadows. Enabling those shadow settings will cause my screen to go black, artifact, or the monitor to shut down, come back like it's trying to reset video settings until the entire system locks up solid and I have to use the reset button. Toggling this on will cause instability within 1 minute of activation usually, and require a reboot every time to clear the problem. Long as that setting is disabled I have no issues at all.

I'll try disabling shadows and see how far I get....the symptoms sound the same anyway...

Running Ati Tool straight after playing a game gives me this in artifact scan....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

try underclocking it?

• Advertisement

Right, how is the heatsink on the card? does it seem tight to the board? can you see any gaps between the gpu and heatsink when you hold it up to the light. Also another thing to try, and really shold be done with all graphics cards , is to remove the stock cooler, remove the stock thermal paste and apply artic5. I did this with my 1950pro cna load temps dropped 10c.

Was gonna say if your up in dub sendmethe card and ill test it out for you, but your down in galway :(

I have a temp 7600Gt so things aren't too bad. One thing - the 'artifacting' picked up by Ati tool was actually fraps, I knew they weren't compatiable but I forgot to turn it off...

so basically - I have a card that's technically sound - runs 3d mark fine, without any problems, good temp, ati tools shows no artifacts after a few hours. But in games just wierd lines and stuff everywhere....

I'm going to reinstall the games now....shouldn't have to, but if it works well....I've had stranger things happen to me. I looked at the card and the cooler seems fine, the card is in brand new condition, not a trace of dust...

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Advertisement