Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International space station?

Options
  • 07-05-2007 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭

Is that what the bright object in the north/north-west of the sky is right now? I see it most nights..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

No, the ISS, if passing through our patch of sky would only be visible for an hour or two and you would not see it again for maybe a few months or more.

Also to note, Mars is going to get a bit brighter over the next few weeks. Its visible in the East, South East of the sky for 2-3 hours before dawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Leidenfrost

that bright object in the north north west is Venus.

It will be very close to the moon over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The ISS, when passing through our bit of sky, is only visible for a few minutes. It will pass over for about 10 to 14 days and then not be seen here again for a few months. It will next be making passes over us from about June 4th to the 18th and then again from early to mid-August. Check out www.heavens-above.com for details around those times. You will need to put in your location and you can register for free. It is a great site for telling you what you can see at various times. Its times for the ISS are very accurate and I've often used them, along with which direction to look, in order to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Flukey wrote:
    It will next be making passes over us from about June 4th to the 18th and then again from early to mid-August.
    Tis visible over the next week or so from North Co Dublin.

You'll see it from a much broader range than just north Dublin. Unfortunately, the next set of passes, from Thursday, are not at great times, being all in the early hours of the morning. So unless you are up at times between 1:30am and 4am, during which the various passes happen, you won't see it. There will be better chances later in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Flukey wrote:
    You'll see it from a much broader range than just north Dublin.

I'm aware of that. The point I was making was that it was visible next week & one didn't have to wait until June to see it. That's all.

Ok, fair enough. It is always great to see. This time of year is great for seeing satellites, with the sun being only just below the horizon. Keep your eyes open people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

its uhh.....swamp gas..

Advertisement