Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messenger & UCD Computers

Options
  • 08-05-2007 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

Right...firstly, i too am appauled by the high level of bebo usage in the campus computer labs (as i have been waiting in long queues many times) but messenger is different (whatever!) as it is advertised on some of the flatscreens eg outside library

it is not possible to log onto web messenger anymore as the updated computers have these "pop-ups" that do not allow you to sign in

are we expected (or even able) to download it onto the computers as one of our personal settings?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

No you can't download it.

When the pop up thing pops up there's a beige line that appears at the top of the page, if you right click that you can allow pop ups from the page, refresh the page and log in and it works fine.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

that's just a feature of IE7/Mozilla Firefox by the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Yeah. If you're using Firefox the pop-up bar will show up, you can click on it and tell it to allow pop-ups from that particular website. Alternatively you can use ebuddy.com which, if I remember correctly, works around pop-up blockers.

www.meebo.com

sign into any of your messengers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

www.meebo.com

sign into any of your messengers
    Wow, that thing is very cool!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

www.koolim.com is the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

fantastic!

both are also ways for fraudsters to get your IM password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Red Alert wrote:
    both are also ways for fraudsters to get your IM password.

How? Or is this just paranoia on your part?

no, but once you give a site your password to another one it's usually a dodgy sign. i don't like when sites offer to email everyone in your contact book either by asking you for your hotmail or gmail password - take it from me , it's always bad news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I agree with RedAlert.

If you've no problems using the original sites, then why go to a 3rd party site that you know nothing about. I'm guessing these crowds will probably send all your contacts emails inviting them to sign up to some idiotic site - for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

To the OP, when you go to log in the first time, just hold down the CTRL key, ahich allows the pop-up for that page. Means you dont have to click on the beige bar, and then click on "temporarily allow pop-ups"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dewey101

http://webmessenger.msn.com/

Check out the above service for just these situations - as advertsied on the UCD Library website:

http://www.ucd.ie/library/services_&_facilities/chat/index.html

Slan,

DB

Advertisement