Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tikka T3 Vs. Rem 700

Options
  • 08-05-2007 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Im upgrading my .22lr browning for something in .223 rem soon hopefully, being a student I plan all major purchases around the summer working season!:) and have narrowed my choice down to prob a T3 or 700, I was looking at a couple tonight a new T3 lite stainless for 900€ or a 2nd hand Rem 700 vls with a hogue stock, screw cut for a moderator and a custom trigger for a 1000€
    Two different styles of rifle the T3 being a lot lighter than the remmie but the extra weight wouldn bother me too much.

Ive had a look at the bore on the remmie rifling seems sharp and the barrel and stock are well cared for to my non expert eyes! Is there anything else i should look for in a 2nd hand rem 700?

The tikka seems to be universally liked around here judging from the comments of owners who post and it felt good in my hands trigger was much better in my opinion than a similarly priced rem 700 sps Ive tried aswell

So thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Its going to be a hunting rifle yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

Personally I'd go for the tikka. Their isn't an enourmous difference but I found the action on the tikka smoother it and overall it just 'felt' better. No differance in accuracy that I noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Either are good.I personally would go the Remmy,but as there has been custom work done to it,make sure the dealer gives you a warrenty on the full gun and checks out the trigger mech,as you dont know who or what installed it.So long as it only one owner on the gun you should be fine.Plus check the screw cut that it was done properly,if somone buggerd it up accuracy will show that it is a bodge job.Would suggest to dealer,that you would like to test fire it,due to the 2ndhand nature of the gun,it wont depreciate in value,and because of the screw cut you want to see it's accruacy.
    If he says no,haggle at least 300 quid off the price because of the risk of inaccruacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Personally i prefer Remmys but i'd the Tikka is a safer option under the circumstances. CG is on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WallysWorld

Hunting mostly with a bit of range work possibly, dont have to lug the gun major distances though to get near to where id normally go so weight isnt too much of an issue. Ill def have the trigger checked on the Rem the rifle is set up for the range and the trigger pull is feather light, too much so for hunting I think.
    Whats a reasonable price to get the barrel threaded on the tikka, Ill probably have to get either rifle moderated because there are houses and horses beside some of where I hunt, Its generally fine with a .22lr they barely notice but Id like to keep the noise levels down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WallysWorld

Got a sudden rush of blood to the head and decided to get a Remington 700 VS SF II! Ive fired a friends and they are a beautiful rifle once the trigger is lightened off a bit, it can put 3 rounds through the same hole at a 100 yards in the right hands. Ill have to sell my soul to pay for it,:D but its a rifle for life so Im happy with my desicion. Anyone else out there have one want to give their thoughts on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

it can put 3 rounds through the same hole at a 100 yards in the right hands.

Same as my Tikka T3 Tac then :D .

Great rifle by all accounts which I'm sure won't dissappoint. Best of luck with it :) .

Advertisement