Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grid.org closes doors, servers

• 08-05-2007 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.grid.org/home.htm
    On Friday, April 27, 2007, Grid.org announced it has completed its mission to demonstrate the viability and benefits of large-scale Internet-based grid computing, and will be retiring its famous efforts to support critical health research.

Grid.org was the largest and most ambitious public interest grid venture ever attempted, and thanks to Grid.org and its millions of members, dozens of similar global grid projects have been able to catch on and succeed by following its footsteps.

Thank you to all our members!
    The excellent work Grid.org has done, both in contributing massive compute power to critical health research and in establishing this Internet-based model as beneficial, would not have been possible without the faith, efforts, and support of our millions of members worldwide. Thank you so much for your years of ongoing support!

Sad to see it die. In spite of a sometimes buggy client, it happily accepted a couple of months worth of cycles from me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Now to see if i can poach some of them griders to start folding ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

I do like a poached gridder on toast for my breakfast :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Might be time to drop the Grid sticky at the top if it ain't coming back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

While on the subject of stickys...maybe an update to the Folding@Home one that gives a description of the different clients (cpu, gpu, smp plus console vs gui).
    Might encourage a few more Folders. Perhaps also a post or two in Tweaking and Modding pointing put what a good tool for testing/burning-in a folding client or two can be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement