Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cover versions

Options
  • 08-05-2007 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

I know it's nay cool to post links to tabs etc up on the forum, but what about someone's personal take on a song?

For example your personal take on a song etc, is that still forbidden or what? It's just I love that sort of thing, like the acoustic versions of the Bowie songs that appeared in The Life Aquatic. Unfortunately I'm not the most technically amazing guitarist out there so I'm woeful at figuring this stuff out for myself, kinda hoped there was a permitted resource for this kind of stuff. If not then it's cool, I dunno the full extent of copyright law but I'd imagine that playing a version of a song without the lyrics would nearly be a completely differant song or something? I mean, people don't copyright all the possible variations of chords for their songs do they?

Just curious, I love bustin' out a bit of full on pop on an acoustic guitar.. kinda spans the divide :)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

To the Playing forum with you!

IMO, it all depends on what you're going to do with the song. If it's a straight copy, ie same arrangement, tempo, key, etc, then don't bother. If I wanted to listen to the song, I'd listen to the proper one. On the other hand, if you're going to screw around with it, I saw go for it. Examples straight off the top of my head would be all of Garage Inc by Metallica or Johnnie Cash's take on Hurt.

As for releasing a cover on a CD for sale, you'd need to check with the royalties as I suspect you'd be liable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Ah no Feyla dude, it's not for recording or anything, it's literally for sitting around a camp fire having a bit of a session. Some people are just fantastic at taking the complexities of a slickly produced hit and then bring it back to the basics of acoustic guitar and vox. :)

Now... where's this playing forum? Ah, I see... good good.

Ah, ok. The copyright bit threw me. Do you mean something like Everlong by Foo Fighters and the acoustic version of that? Just stripped back to one guitar, one voice kinda thing?

Yeah exactly!

Oh, the copyright thing was only cause I wasn't sure if the topic was allowed on boards due to copyright etc.

Nothing wrong with talking about covering a song as far as I know so Boards.ie shouldn't have any issue.

I'd be interested to hear what you come up with.

• Advertisement

Cool... now I'm just hoping someone comes along here with some good ideas. :)

Advertisement