Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

hilux surf import

Options
  • 08-05-2007 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Looking at a 97 auto 3.0ltr hilux commercial.. Any one know any bad points or good points about such a jeep? Im aware of the mileage on imports not always being true etc.. Apart from that though any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

stifz wrote:
    Hi All,
    Looking at a 97 auto 3.0ltr hilux commercial.. Any one know any bad points or good points about such a jeep? Im aware of the mileage on imports not always being true etc.. Apart from that though any advice would be greatly appreciated.

They are just an SUV version of the Hilux pickup, and they are known to go forever (remember the Top Gear episode?). I'd say it would be a good purchase, don't know about the auto boxes, but the manual ones have no known problems anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

edit-as you're aware- If it's coming in from JP, watch out for clocking, it's particularly rife with these. A friend of mine in UK looked up tons of them for his missus (they be quite popular JP imports in UK) a couple of years ago, and eventually bought one, but he reckoned 3 or 4 out of every 5 he saw were clocked (had RAC check done on 4 of them before buying one).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The engine in these 1-KZTE is strong and not known for problems.
    Although there were some problems with cracked heads in some vehicles.
    They are basically the same as a Landcruiser 90 series with a different body,
    so the usual problems may surface, worn tie-rod ends.
    On a vehicle of that age check shock absorbers for leaks, cooling system, and engine for leaks/oil/coolant.
    other than that they are good for big miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

thanks folks,

I've been looking for a good year now. I need to hold off until the end of the summer and them make a purchase.. It seems that the general view is.. it s a good buy. happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I had been looking at same recently. In the end I went for a Landcruiser Commercial.

I got a '01 cruiser for less than you will be looking at for the '97 Surf. The mileage is a lot higher, but given that the Surf has likely had a haircut the difference is probably not all that much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

You could try and look for a Toyota 4Runner in the UK, they are basically the same vehicle. Chances are that a UK version may not be have as high a chance of being clocked.

ballooba wrote:
    I had been looking at same recently. In the end I went for a Landcruiser Commercial.

I got a '01 cruiser for less than you will be looking at for the '97 Surf. The mileage is a lot higher, but given that the Surf has likely had a haircut the difference is probably not all that much.

how much you pay for it if ya don't mind me ask'in?

stifz wrote:
    how much you pay for it if ya don't mind me ask'in?
    €14,750. Has Auto and Air Con. Rare find from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Have you driven a HiLux Surf? If not be sure to bring one for a long and varied test drive before going any further. A mate of mine had one and it was very "Agricultural" to say the least. A real dog of a thing and very tiring to drive on a long run, IMO anyway....

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

buy one you wont regret it

ive have mine about 6 months now and its the best motor ive bought yet.
    very comfortable even on long journeys.

the brother had one for 5 years and the only problem hehad with his was a hole in the exhaust centre section.

try to get the
    SSR-G model highest spec.

mine is an
    SSR-X

just one step down form the SSR-G

mine has auto box, air-con, sunroof, 5 electric windows back window is the 5th one.

i get around 550/600 klms to a tank (€65)
    surfsideuw3.jpg
    surffrontsidehg6.jpg
    surf2oe8.jpg
    surf1pp5.jpg

• Advertisement

It will be quite costly to convert the Hilux to commercial. I'd reckon in the ballpark of €1500. I investigated this when I was buying.
    i get around 550/600 klms to a tank (€65)
    I get around the same in the Landcruiser.

Where did you buy Stephen?

absolute beauty mate. thats exactly the type i was looking into. i can get a 96 for 9k. around 50k on the clock..

And the ssr-x for about 12k but that is immaculate.

As for the test drive - all 4x4's have a degree of agri driving to them. Ineed it for towing both a 20ft boat and a trailer out of the kildare boglands.. Currently driving a 3 series auto so i don't want to loose the comfort of the auto box..

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

i got mine in a private sale but looked at a good few.
    and as i said the bro had one for 5 years so knew what to look for.
    @stifz which part of the kildare boglands u from?
    im from kildare.

Cadamstown, close to broadford & carbury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

All Hilux surfs will have air con. You can't get the 96-02 shape as a UK spec, the 3rd gen is only available in JP and US.

They are a long way removed from the hilux that top gear tried to destroy. They are only hilux by name, they have more in common with Landcruisers.

The reason that they are more expensive thn the LC is that the Surf is still pretty exclusive. LC's are as common as muck, and therefore much harder to sell on.

As Stephen said, I had mine for 5 years and it was definately the best motor I've had (and I've had a lot). Only problem was the centre box, but Milners in the UK have them for about a 1/3of the price of a Toyota St(d)ealer.

The auto box is very relaxed, and if its an intercooled model, plenty fast (watch that back on wet roundabouts).

The specs vary wildly, it's not unusual to see basic models spec'd up to the same level as the ssrg.

Buy one, you won't regret it!!
    (I'm looking for another one :D )

The reason that they are more expensive thn the LC is that the Surf is still pretty exclusive. LC's are as common as muck, and therefore much harder to sell on.
    Hey!!! Don't piss on me new motor!!! :D

I was wondering why Toyota don't just reintroduce the 4Runner given that they have such a cult following. I suppose the grey market helps their new sales in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

The latest model 4Runner is available as a grey import coming out of Thailand!

About €28,300 FOB + Freight + Duty + VAT +++

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Do-more wrote:
    The latest model 4Runner is available as a grey import coming out of Thailand!

About €28,300 FOB + Freight + Duty + VAT +++

Thats not a Hilux Surf/4runner. The Fortuner is a different model entirely.

This is the 2003 - current Surf-4runner (4th Generation)
    05-4Runner1.jpg

And I wasn't pissin on your new motor Ballooba, The LC is still on of the best 4x4's around ;)

Surf's still turn my head tbh. I saw a really nice '97 black SSR-G today in Malahide.

The Landcruiser I found was perfect for me though. Maybe when I win the Lotto I will grey-import a brand new SSR-G.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mudflapgirl

Surf's are savage!

I'm on my second one - moved frm a commercial to a passenger one.

I have the SSR-X one currently, Aircon and all the extras. She's a 92 brought in from Newry.

One of the best 4x4's I've ever driven. You get lazy from the Automatic though :)http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc258/mudlinda/?action=view&current=b7b1_1.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement