Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stronger prescription

• 08-05-2007 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Just been to the opthalmogist and was shocked to hear that I need -5 diopter lenses. Can anyone tell me how thick these lenses would look?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

contacts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You can get special thin lenses (they're a bit more pricy than your standard lens). I had to get one for my left eye which needs a -3.5 diopter lens and it looks the same as the standard lens for my right eye which is -1.5 diopters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Oh please, -5 is nothing, and won't limit you in any way as to what frames you can choose to get.

It'll look better if you get a higher index lens. Also, if you get glass lenses rather than plastic ones they'll be thinner (but more fragile).

Be glad you're not -10, trying to find nice frames is a nightmare, and getting the ultra high index lenses costs a BOMB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lola_run

moridin wrote:
    Oh please, -5 is nothing, and won't limit you in any way as to what frames you can choose to get.

It'll look better if you get a higher index lens. Also, if you get glass lenses rather than plastic ones they'll be thinner (but more fragile).

Be glad you're not -10, trying to find nice frames is a nightmare, and getting the ultra high index lenses costs a BOMB.

Well, I'll keep the same frames I think, the cheapest option. ;-)

High index is the way to go, it seems.

-10, god, I hope I never get that bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

If you get ultra thin lenses and choose a smaller frame (assuming that you are short sighted) then your lenses will look their smallest.

• Advertisement

I'm in my late twenties now and have been wearing glasses for almost 10 years. When does myopia begin to stabilise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

lola_run wrote:
    I'm in my late twenties now and have been wearing glasses for almost 10 years. When does myopia begin to stabilise?

Not so simple but here goes :

* Congenital myopia, also known as infantile myopia, is present at birth and persists through infancy.
    * Youth onset myopia occurs prior to age 20.

* School myopia appears during childhood, particularly the school-age years. This form of myopia is attributed to the use of the eyes for close work during the school years.

* Adult onset myopia

* Early adult onset myopia occurs between ages 20 and 40.
    * Late adult onset myopia occurs after age 40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

My eyes have been stable since I was a young teenager anyway. In fact, my right eye has gotten slightly better in recent years (went from 1.75 to 1.50).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

moridin wrote:

think im around the -10 mark too :/

Well, I went to order my lenses today. They'll be about 9mm thick. There were other options to make them thinner, but there wouldn't be much a difference, so I just went for the cheaper option. I'll know in a week how I'll look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement