Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to felt a flat roof?

Options
  • 08-05-2007 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Am getting a flat roof 15x15 torch felted..was quoted E2000! Seems an awful lot.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,672 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ask for a breakdown of costs.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i got mine done in january after the storms it was 16 x 16 and cost €2,400.00 and then i had to hire a skip to get rid of the old roof which was just dumped in my back garden. so i would make sure, that he is going to take away your old roof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭blindman

Jetlagged arent you a skilled construction labourer? why not tackle the job yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jetlagged

Hey blindman!
    Ive never had to do a torch on felt before. Its pretty skilled work in itself and you could quite easily make a mess of things including turning any lead flashing to ****e not to mention burning a house down. So alas I'm not going at it. I can slate a roof and beat lead but I couldnt take the chance with this.Irishbird this is just to torch on around 2 rolls of felt, the carpentry is all done including fillets etc. I just think the price is outrageous for one days work.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

jetlagged wrote:
    Hey blindman!
    Ive never had to do a torch on felt before. Its pretty skilled work in itself and you could quite easily make a mess of things including turning any lead flashing to ****e not to mention burning a house down. So alas I'm not going at it. I can slate a roof and beat lead but I couldnt take the chance with this.Irishbird this is just to torch on around 2 rolls of felt, the carpentry is all done including fillets etc. I just think the price is outrageous for one days work.

yeah, that's all mine was - two rolls of felt, i got a leak in january, nothing else had to be done and it only took a few hours, and there was no VAT on that, it was a cash price - absolutely outragous price but i had waterfalls running down my walls so i had no choice. to add insult to injury my insurance company refused to pay out, said it was wear and tear (which is crap) and also refused to pay for the internal damage :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭blindman

Sorry jetlagged, just felt like stirring things. Price does seem ridiculous but I presume they have serous insurance payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jetlagged

No worries...insurance payments?Possibly..I'd be surprised if alot of them paid out for it, especially when theyre going around charging cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I got a quote to have a garage roof replaced in Belfast - about 5m x 14m - they were to rip up the existing felt/etc, replace and repair any boards underneath, then put new felt, tar/whatever else

Quote was £900STG --> about EUR1400

Don't know if that helps

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,672 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a chap i work with was yesterday quoted €2.4k to completely replace a 3x5m roof - timbers, insulation, and felt.

Advertisement