Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ticket for Tailgating

Options
  • 08-05-2007 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,

Was issued a ticket for tailgating while overtaking. I was told that I get a ticket and I had to pay €60. I thought that was very very harsh move. Was in no way dangerous.

He said that I don't get any penalty points for this, just the fine.

How is it possible to just get fine without being getting any penalty points? If I object this, what are my chances of winning this in court.

Any feedback is very much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ace

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Aceform wrote:
    .........Was in no way dangerous.....

Tailgating is never in any shape or form dangerous - to a Tailgater..........

..........Thats cause they have the reaction time of Superman and magic brakes/tyres.

Can't comment on your case but am relieved that the Gardai are finally policing one of the most common and ridiculously dangerous practices seen every day on our roads.

P.S. Unless you're driving a 20CC moped or something it is not necessary to endanger other drivers by proximity before overtaking them - not to say you were or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

A bad practice. If you were caught you must have been fairly obvious. Dangerous driving my friend, no matter how you look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Great, delighted that people might finally start being fined or whatever for tailgating, which is totally stupid and un-nessecary.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aceform

2 things,

I was not that close to be dangerous (to both of us) :-(

Why there are no penalty points and only fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Aceform wrote:
    2 things,

Insist on those penalty points then!.

• Advertisement

Should be a penalty points offence. At least you didn't get done for dangerous driving!

Ok, Thanks for the replies. I've learnt the lesson.

maoleary wrote:
    Should be a penalty points offence. At least you didn't get done for dangerous driving!

Where is it listed please?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Out of interest, how did they catch you?

Anan1 wrote:
    Out of interest, how did they catch you?

They were following me from 3 miles out on an empty road in an unmarked car. I suppose they did not find any mistakes, so decided to pin me down to this stupid thing :-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭stewie01

just out of interest ace how do You overtake? Are you 1 of those people that sits on some1s bumper at 60 mph for 10 miles, then pulls out and struggles to accelerate passed or do you know the correct way how to overtake

edit - be nice!
    Oh and stop the txt spk!

Aceform wrote:
    Where is it listed please?

When I said "should be" I meant I would prefer if it was. Not to indicate that it is or that the Garda made a mistake. A full list of penalty points is on http://www.penaltypoints.ie/the_full_list_of_offences.php

I reiterate, tailgating doesn't carry penalty points as yet. I would like if it did.

stewie01 wrote:
    just out of interest ace how do You overtake? Are you 1 of those people that sits on some1s bumper at 60 mph for 10 miles, then pulls out and struggles to accelerate passed or do you know the correct way how to overtake
    I've been driving for about 10 years now. I know the correct way thanks. And by the way I'm not one of those people.

edit - language removed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭stewie01

thanks just wondering. so how do you personally overtake??

Aceform wrote:
    2 things,

To be honest most people on this forum would advocate a 10 minute beating with a tyre-iron aswell [for an actual tailgater]- so it sounds like you're doing ok there ;)

- Not to suggest that you were tailgating.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ace in all fairness you must have been tailgating to get pulled in, obviously to you u weren;t but they must have seen something in it.
    From today there is the ombudsman so maybe if u feel hard done by then argue ur case.

I hope they do clamp down on this, had the same issue on Sunday on narrow and wet roads from Ballyvaughan to Kinvarra, some guy, not young, prob in 30's or 40's in a Roscommon reg mini decides to spend the whole time within 4 or 5 ft of my bumper, when I passed a car this ass decided whether it be a hill or a corner he wud come straight after me, got flashed a few times but pee brain still contined to tail.

Time idiots like this were fined well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You don't have to get penalty points to get a fine, and vice-versa. Sure when there were no points, all there was were fines.

Only a certain set of offences have points attached to them.

I've never really suffered from this, but my girlfriend's Mum came home pretty shaken up on Sunday. She was driving down the N81, and a trucker (presumably on his way to Roadstone depot), decided to drive a couple of feet behind her and sit on his horn until she pulled over and got out his way. There was nowhere to go, so in her panic she pulled onto the grass verge. She was doing 70km/h in a 100 zone, but that's still no excuse for his behaviour.
    She wasn't able to get his reg because there were three of them in convoy, and her view was blocked by the two following trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Ach... don't judge the lad until he at least describes how he overtook

Aceform wrote:
    They were following me from 3 miles out on an empty road in an unmarked car. I suppose they did not find any mistakes, so decided to pin me down to this stupid thing :-(

Why would the Gardai be so vindictive though ? You can contest it if you feel strongly about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

i really hope tailgating is clamped down upon. Anyone who's driven a 125 motorbike can probably relate to how terrifying it is to have a truck or even a car sitting on your back wheel when your goin the speed limit and there is no where to pull in.

I've seen someone pulled for it before though but I've no idea what the fine or points were. I was driving along the Waterford - Tramore road before the new ingenius 80kmph limit and a chap in front of me in a punto came up behind a scooter. There were cars coming the other way and it was a narrow stretch of the road (between superquinn and where the new roundabout is now). The scooter couldn't pull in far enough to let the car pass safely so this chap in the punto sat on the scooters back wheel. This continued for a couple of minutes until the road got wider and the scooter kept in as close to the verge as possible and the punto forced his way by.

It turned out there was an unmarked focus behind me wathcin what I was watchin and pulled the punto. It's great when dangerous drivers actually get their come uppance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

Sorry you got caught but its a pity more people were not caught. Each week (i drive 1k per week) all i come across is people up the arse of another car. why dont people just pull it back a bit and wait to overtake when its safe to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

lassykk wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

As a 125 rider myself I totally agree. And it doesnt seem to matter how fast you go, some people just dont want to be behind you. Ive had a couple of bad experiences, all volvos for some reason - guess they figure they paid more for their mode of transport so feel they have more rights to the road then I do, and shant be outdone by a mere motorcyclist. Dont do much out-of-city driving, so I just laugh to myself when I filter by them in city traffic. Its quite satisfying passing an aggressive driver thats stuck in rush-hour gridlock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

I have always wondered why people tailgate me, with a 1 millisecond stopping distance behind me.

I guess this poster illustrates why people do tailgate, and that is, they dont even realise they are doing it. As the poster says, he didnt think he was doing anything dangerous. I guess it is this lack of regard or experience that results in tailgating. And he says he has been driving for 10 years. I guess he has yet to drive into the back of another driver. Perhaps when he does that (and hopefully without injuring himself or another individual) he will realise that 5mm is not sufficient stopping distance.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had a car tailgate me on the N4 last Sunday.
    I just slowed right down in places where they could not overtake me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Mairt wrote:
    Insist on those penalty points then!.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

kbannon wrote:
    I had a car tailgate me on the N4 last Sunday.
    I just slowed right down in places where they could not overtake me.

I'm a big fan of lighting up the back of the car when some tit comes cruising up my hole, when I'm sitting on the speed limit.

That's not to say I throw out the anchors, I just hit the back fogs and usually just enough on the brakes to show the brake lights. And if they don't back off, I'll just drop down to say 80kph in a 100/130, while I call the local Garda station on the carphone....

I've been to court already with a couple of twats who were done for dangerous driving on the N11. And I'll keep doing it too. Bravo to the Gardaí for taking this whole tailgating thing seriously....

I usually indicate ASAP & pull in when I can to hard shoulder etc. - beep the horn with vigour, enthusiasm and perseverance as soon as they have started to overtake me as can be expected of any driver whos just been forced off the road despite paying €600 road tax a year to drive on same.

- I am absolutely convinced that tailgaters are usually unaware of the serious danger the are posing for you and your family - they usually look shocked if you let them know you disapprove. I believe that aggressive tailgating, ie. to force you to speed up or indicate left is not that common in Ireland - its usually inexperience, ignorance and stupidity.

P.S. How can Traffic Watch be used to report Tailgaters ? Do the Gardai just officailly warn them - do you need to go fully on record with your own details? Is it any good/effective? Would love to find out - let us know if you call. - Nearly did once when a 'gater tried to undertake me after I tapped the brake [mildly] once or twice :eek: :eek: :eek:

Raiser wrote:
    I usually indicate ASAP & pull in when I can to hard shoulder etc. - beep the horn with vigour, enthusiasm and perseverance as soon as they have started to overtake me as can be expected of any driver whos just been forced off the road despite paying €600 road tax a year to drive on same.

- I am absolutely convinced that tailgaters are usually unaware of the serious danger the are posing for you and your family - they usually look shocked if you let them know you disapprove. I believe that aggressive tailgating, ie. to force you to speed up or indicate left is not that common in Ireland - its usually inexperience, ignorance and stupidity.

P.S. How can Traffic Watch be used to report Tailgaters ? Do the Gardai just officailly warn them - do you need to go fully on record with your own details? Is it any good/effective? Would love to find out - let us know if you call. - Nearly did once when a 'gater tried to undertake me after I tapped the brake [mildly] once or twice :eek: :eek: :eek:

While I agree with your stance on these tailgaters, paying road tax is not a license to drive anyway you like. We still have a duty of care and courtesy to each other. Tailgaters, I will agree, are horrifically dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Call directory enquiries, and ask for the Garda station close by. When your call is answered, give your name/registration/phone number, ask the guard to take thme, and a description of what your car is - White toyota corolla for example. Then ask the guard for their name too. Tell them you're currently driving on XX road, in such and such a direction. Tell them you're being harassed by another road user who is driving incredibly close behind you, and that you are seriously worried about your safety and that of other road users. Tell them you're afraid they're going to cause a serious accident etc...

The gardai will respond, if you're clear and express your real concerns to them. They're not going to take a chance that this guy will run you off the road or cause a crash, while they sit there in the station making tea, especially when you've given all your details and asked for the garda's name. They'll usually task a vehicle to come and intercept the dangerous driver, and you'll usually get a call from that vehicle, to confirm your present location and so forth.

Now it must be stressed, there's no point in calling just because some tit cuts you up a bit in traffic, or beeps at you/flashes you to move over on the motorway etc. But if you genuinely believe there's trouble brewing with someone driving dangerously close to you on a B or national road, call the Gardai and let them make the decision on how to handle it.

I've actually had a Garda helicopter locate my car for a reference point to locate someone driving dangerously behind me. In this case the guy was gradually working his way towards my location through wreckless overtaking of traffic while heading south towards Blessington on the N81. He overtook leading into blind bends, crossing solid lines etc....And I could see him coming. What else could I do but call the Gardaí, and they took it very seriously. There's a prosecution pending, and I'll go to court if asked, but video footage from the helicopter kind of takes care of it anyway :-)

Credit where it's due, the Gardaí did a great job in both cases....

maoleary wrote:
    While I agree with your stance on these tailgaters, paying road tax is not a license to drive anyway you like. We still have a duty of care and courtesy to each other. Tailgaters, I will agree, are horrifically dangerous.

I indicate, pull in [when safe to do so] and beep the horn - the beeping is to alert or warn drivers/pedestrians in the area of danger, thats why the car manufacturers fit these devices isn't it ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

seamus wrote:
    She was doing 70km/h in a 100 zone, but that's still no excuse for his behaviour.

Agreed that it's no excuse... but why was she only doing 70 in a 100 zone? Were visibility or road conditions dangerous? Was she driving a tractor? If not, then she should be driving at or close to the limit, or making every effort to allow faster vehicles behind her to pass.

I was always taught that to drive significantly under the speed limit is as bad as exceeding it. You would fail your test in the UK for driving like that, unless there were good reasons for going so slowly. Being scared of or unable to handle speed isn't a good reason...

While there's no excuse for the sort of aggression you describe, wilfully slow drivers must understand that they contribute to their own problems and make the roads more dangerous for the rest of us.

Advertisement