Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solid concrete walls

Options
  • 08-05-2007 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I just found out my exterior walls are solid concrete - even though they are 11" thick!! Does this mean they are a terrible heat conductor, or do they behave in the same way the stone walls do... take ages to heat, but then act like a kind of storage heater... Am I gonna freeze?

Does anyone know the standard thickness for new builds these days?

My house is an old corpo house built in the 1940s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is there any insulation? Given the age of the house, there is probably not much, if any.
    That was standard method of construction back then, but its not close to acceptable these days. Heat will pass out very quickly. That info on stone walls is kinda of misinterpeted.

Standard thinkness of a concrete block wall today is 300mm. 100mm inner leaf, 100,, cavity, 100mm outer leaf

Advertisement