Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gripe Water

Options
  • 08-05-2007 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hey all,
    A friend of mine has a three week old baby girl who is suffering badly from cholic. Unfortunately we cant get our hands on any Gripe Water as it was taken off the shelves in Ireland 2 years ago. I'm wonderng if anybody knows of any websites that i can order it from? I want to make sure its the one with the alcohol in it as thats the one that works!
    Thanks for any help,
    Sonners

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I'd say you'd have trouble getting gripe water anywhere in Ireland these days. Online or up north is probably your best bet.. but then again it's likely to be the alcohol free version that you get anyway. Wasn't it taken off the shelf because of the alcohol content?

I didn't find it helped much anyway to be honest. I found infacol
    was the only thing that had any effect and even then it wasn't great. If you're friend is breast feeding she could try cutting out dairy products in her diet. That made a big difference to my little one's colic within 3 days. If she is bottlefeeding she could try Dr Brownes bottles or there's a particular formula for very colicky babies... the name escapes me just now. I'll come back to you on that one.

(sorry I know you didn't ask for those tips but thought I'd add them just in case you or your friend haven't already come across them)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

Thanks for the tips littlebug. She's bottle feeding the baby, I'll pass on your tips while i continue my search for gripe water! Thanks again, we're willing to try anything at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I've remembered. It's Cow and Gate Comfort (formerly Omneo Comfort).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Sean Boylan does a herbal remedy which was very effective in eliminating my little girl's colic. It worked almost straightaway. I'd tried Gripe water but it was no good.
    He's based in Co. Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

We used to get bottles of it in the UK when we went to London ( Sainsbury's in Newry will no doubt do it ).

Also I had a friend who had problems like this , they ended up using the baby
    gavascon stuff ........that helped a little.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭MyBaby

Yes, we got the gripe water for our son up in Newry in the Sainsburys. Its only a few pounds. But out health nurse told us to try the Omneo Comfort Cow & Gate milk and that seemed to work with our son and it was easier on his stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Infacol. Fantastic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

dame wrote:
    Infacol. Fantastic stuff.

Quoted for truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

They do sell it in the south. I have sent you a pm with the details. Typical to rip off Ireland it's over €9 in this chemist when I recently paid £2.50 in Asda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Thread is from 2007 Ellsbells so OP probably doesn't need it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

January wrote: »
    Thread is from 2007 Ellsbells so OP probably doesn't need it anymore.

Ah ok didn't spot that :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement