Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Green Party are scary!

Options
  • 08-05-2007 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

Does anybody find that the Green Party are resorting to environmental scare tactics, or is it just me? Last night Trevor Sargent said on TV3 that it was fact that CO2 was causing climate change. I found this an inaccurate & scare mongering statement. How the climate works is not understood enough to be able to say that CO2 is to blame for the period of climate change we are in. There is a lot more evidence to say it is more to do with the sun’s natural cycles. Don’t get me wrong, I am against fossil fuels they are certainly pollutants and should be phased out but saying they are the cause of global warming is a bit much when you consider CO2 only make up .04% of the atmosphere. The Green’s want to bring in CO2 taxes and it could be to find that reducing CO2 is having no effect whatsoever, all at the public’s expenses of course.

He was also taking about the Green’s policy of reassessing the road-building program. Do they not realise what that would cost and the shock it would be to the construction industry, which makes up a large part of the countries economy and employment.

I do not know about the rest of the country, but Waterford’s Green candidate would put you of the Green Party for life. There is a problem with every piece of progress proposed for the city.

I always considered myself an environmentalist – but the Green Party, no thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Resorting too? No, it's more like everyone is now paying attention to their case on the environment, one they've been using for a very long time.

I suppose Sergent's statement was based on the research which has shown that it is almost certainly humans (and their production of Co2) that is causing climate change - it's about as sure a thing as we're likely to get for the next few years and now even the USA are accepting that humans are at fault.

The road building programme is an interesting one - I don't think any party would allow them to keep it in the programme for Government though - there's nothing wrong with assessing the programmes to ensure we're getting a good deal at a decent speed (and to ensure that they're not impacting on the environment in any way like some believe will happen at the Hill of Tara etc.) but I wouldn't support any complete suspension of programmes and the Green party certainly wouldn't publicly either (I'd imagine, which is why they're being careful and promising a review etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

saying they are the cause of global warming is a bit much when you consider CO2 only make up .04% of the atmosphere

dont know if i agree with your position here.

jimomedal_graph.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 borg07

I agree they are likely to seriously damage the economy if their policies are implemented. I thought Sargent did badly on the TV3 show

Not only do they want to stop the roads programme, they want 20c added to the litre of petrol, to abolish the national treatment purchase fund, to abolish tax relief on pensions, a levy on banks (not that I like banks but) which will endanger the IFSC, plus they have stated in the Dail they want to increase corporation tax and therefore hurt jobs and investments.

FG voters should remember that by voting FG they are inviting the greens into government.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

borg07 wrote:

FG voters should remember that by voting FG they are inviting the greens into government.
    But even if the greens were part of a coalition, how much pull do you actually think they would have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

borg07 wrote:

How do you figure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Does anybody find that the Green Party are resorting to environmental scare tactics, or is it just me? Last night Trevor Sargent said on TV3 that it was fact that CO2 was causing climate change. I found this an inaccurate & scare mongering statement. How the climate works is not understood enough to be able to say that CO2 is to blame for the period of climate change we are in. There is a lot more evidence to say it is more to do with the sun’s natural cycles.

Well, let's see this evidence then.

Because thousands of scientists don't agree with you, but you must know something they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

luapenak wrote:
    But even if the greens were part of a coalition, how much pull do you actually think they would have?

not very much when third party is all they will be..... plus I can see a few independents filling the places.... far easier to deal with than the greens....

one thing for sure is that they won't get a PD style deal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

borg07 wrote:
    I agree they are likely to seriously damage the economy if their policies are implemented. I thought Sargent did badly on the TV3 show

Not only do they want to stop the roads programme, they want 20c added to the litre of petrol, to abolish the national treatment purchase fund, to abolish tax relief on pensions, a levy on banks (not that I like banks but) which will endanger the IFSC, plus they have stated in the Dail they want to increase corporation tax and therefore hurt jobs and investments.

They are two lies in the above statement. Blue Peter badge to whoever picks them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Last night Trevor Sargent said on TV3 that it was fact that CO2 was causing climate change

That's because it is a fact that CO2 is the primary driver of climate change. As close to a fact as we can get about a complex ecological system.

I don't suppose you deny evolution too?

How do you figure?

Simple maths as FG & Lab will need them to make up the numbers, unless they go with PD or SF which is as likely as FG going in with FF!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Muinteoir muinteoir, please sir can I have my badge for that old corpporation tax one please :p:p

http://www.greenparty.ie/en/news/latest_news/green_party_backs_all_island_corporation_tax_and_free_digital_tv_services

Do you have a crystal ball or something? You can't know how the "simple maths" is going to work out until we know who's been elected. Between now and the polling day there are plenty of things that can happen that will affect the vote.

Do you have a crystal ball or something? You can't know how the "simple maths" is going to work out until we know who's been elected. Between now and the polling day there are plenty of things that can happen that will affect the vote.

A look at any of the recent opinion polls clearly shows it will be virtually impossible for FG and Lab to make up their numbers on their own and on the balance of probability they will needs the Greens and hence my original comment about voting FG will mean Greens in Government is more than likely to be correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Other parties are enjoying a smear campaign against the Greens.
    Question them on any of their so called outrageous policies and you will find there to be quite a sensible answer.

BeatNikDub wrote:
    Other parties are enjoying a smear campaign against the Greens.
    Question them on any of their so called outrageous policies and you will find there to be quite a sensible answer.

but they do plan to stop the motorway program ?

To be honest, any road programmes that have happened over the last 10 years have been a shambles. I thin it would be fantastic to have it all reviewed and if honest changes can be made then do it.
    Irelands road structure is the worst in Europe, we are an example are how NOT to do it.

I think their priority is public transport and if they can provide the country with a decent one then I think go for it, it is needed so so so badly. Our road system is probably beyond help anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

borg07 wrote:
    they want 20c added to the litre of petrol.

Yes, as a replacement for current motor tax. The idea is that if you drive less or drive a fuel efficient vehicle, then you pay less tax.

Is that such a bad idea?

Apparently scientists now claiming that average temperature in Mars has gone up 0.5 degress in past 20 years, which is more than this planet. They have no idea how this happened yet, but clearly it shows that climate change can happen without industrialisation, CFCs, holes in ozone layers, overuse of fossil fuels, car emissions, breach of Kyoto Treaties etc. etc. That doesn't render the Green message invalid, but bet they don't point out those findings either.

Does anybody find that the Green Party are resorting to environmental scare tactics, or is it just me? Last night Trevor Sargent said on TV3 that it was fact that CO2 was causing climate change. I found this an inaccurate & scare mongering statement. How the climate works is not understood enough to be able to say that CO2 is to blame for the period of climate change we are in. There is a lot more evidence to say it is more to do with the sun’s natural cycles. Don’t get me wrong, I am against fossil fuels they are certainly pollutants and should be phased out but saying they are the cause of global warming is a bit much when you consider CO2 only make up .04% of the atmosphere. The Green’s want to bring in CO2 taxes and it could be to find that reducing CO2 is having no effect whatsoever, all at the public’s expenses of course.

Read some of the links here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055087361

BeatNikDub wrote:
    To be honest, any road programmes that have happened over the last 10 years have been a shambles. I thin it would be fantastic to have it all reviewed and if honest changes can be made then do it.
    Irelands road structure is the worst in Europe, we are an example are how NOT to do it.

I think their priority is public transport and if they can provide the country with a decent one then I think go for it, it is needed so so so badly. Our road system is probably beyond help anyway.

that wasn't my question..... do the green party plan to stop the motorway program ?

• Advertisement

Apparently scientists now claiming that average temperature in Mars has gone up 0.5 degress in past 20 years, which is more than this planet. They have no idea how this happened yet, but clearly it shows that climate change can happen without industrialisation, CFCs, holes in ozone layers, overuse of fossil fuels, car emissions, breach of Kyoto Treaties etc. etc. That doesn't render the Green message invalid, but bet they don't point out those findings either.

Have a read here: http://environment.newscientist.com/channel/earth/climate-change/mg19426004.800-soybean-boom-spells-bad-news-for-climate.html

It explains the influence of the Solar activity on global warming

M&#250 wrote: »
    They are two lies in the above statement. Blue Peter badge to whoever picks them out.
    Please elaborate.It's not acceptable to accuse a poster of lying here unless you have proof that they have intended to deliberately mislead.

This is a discussion forum and I'd ask you please if you disagree with a post that you say why and not just run in with a one line you are lying retort.
    You've disagreed so could you come back now and go into the detail please.
    Thank you.

McSandwich wrote:
    Yes, as a replacement for current motor tax. The idea is that if you drive less or drive a fuel efficient vehicle, then you pay less tax.

Is that such a bad idea?

It may be fine for people in cities but not for those who live in the countryside and need cars, nor for those who have to commute to long distances, not to mention the transport industry, it will severely effect them and all of us by driving up the cost of goods.

Therefore it is a terrible idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

McSandwich wrote:

Is that such a bad idea?

I pay tax once every 3 months on my car. It costs me around 45 euro each time which is pretty alright. I do not want to be paying 20 euro road tax while having to fill my car up with nearly 60 euro of petrol each week because the tree huggers think it would be a good idea to cut emissions....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

borg07 wrote:
    A look at any of the recent opinion polls clearly shows it will be virtually impossible for FG and Lab to make up their numbers on their own and on the balance of probability they will needs the Greens and hence my original comment about voting FG will mean Greens in Government is more than likely to be correct

The Green Party are being called the potential kingmakers of the next Dáil - that's because they're the most likely party to hold the balance between FF and FG/Lab - that means that a vote for either party is all the same as far as the Green Party are concerned.

If this is what you are referring to then yes it sounds like they want it to end

Concerns about M3 motorway vindicated by new discovery - Cuffe
    Issued: 01 May 2007

Statement by Ciaran Cuffe

Spokesperson on Justice, Equality & Law Reform, Local Government and Environment

– Work halted as 'major' prehistorical site discovered

The Green Party's long-standing concerns about the construction of the M3 Motorway through the Hill of Tara complex have been vindicated this evening by the discovery of a major prehistoric site, said Environment spokesperson Ciarán Cuffe TD.

Deputy Cuffe said: "As far back as March 2005 I stated that going ahead with the proposed route for the M3 would be an act of cultural and historic vandalism. I am relived that Environment Minister Dick Roche has finally been forced to halt work on the motorway.

"Only yesterday Martin Cullen was turning the sod for the M3 project, yet today work has been suspended. I am once again calling for all work to come to an end, in particular the massive floodlit Blundlestown interchange, and for the upgrading of the existing N3 to take place instead.

"The Green Party in government will ensure that the Dublin-Navan rail line is reinstated without delay. Improving public transport will take traffic off the roads and get commuters to work far more quickly," Deputy Cuffe concluded.

Im not sure if you mean a motorway programme in general though.

borg07 wrote:
    It may be fine for people in cities but not for those who live in the countryside and need cars, nor for those who have to commute to long distances, not to mention the transport industry, it will severely effect them and all of us by driving up the cost of goods.

Therefore it is a terrible idea

But they want to provide with decent public transport.
    They are aware of people in the countryside who need cars.

I need my car to get to work, there is no public transport. But if could walk to the end of my road and get a regaular bus or train then no problem!

jhegarty wrote:
    that wasn't my question..... do the green party plan to stop the motorway program ?

Its been said several times on different threads that they don't plan to stop any present projects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The Green Party don't intend to stop the roads programme, and have repeatedly said this.

The question of the M3 being rammed through the internationally important archaeological site at Tara is another matter. I think they want it *rerouted* away from Tara.

The party's leaders say that what they want to do is put the emphasis on public transport, while continuing to build good infrastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

DarkJager wrote:
    I pay tax once every 3 months on my car. It costs me around 45 euro each time which is pretty alright. I do not want to be paying 20 euro road tax while having to fill my car up with nearly 60 euro of petrol each week because the tree huggers think it would be a good idea to cut emissions....

Assuming €1.15 a litre, €60 is about 52 litres, which @ 20c a litre is about €10.40, not €20. That said, I think 20c a litre is be too much, 10c a litre might be more reasonable, but I do think it's a good idea. The more you drive the more tax you pay and there's no way for the thousands of motor tax dodgers to get away with not paying, which increases the overall tax take. Either Australia or New Zealand already have this system in place and I believe it works very well.

Advertisement