Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick traffic blunders

Options
  • 08-05-2007 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Ever wonder how a city of 100,000 people can have major traffic congestion to rival that of cities whose populations are measured in millions. Why can our city/county planners not learn from the mistakes of Dublin? Maybe it's something you can ask the next politician comes calling at your door?

Vote for your favorite Limerick traffic blunders.

What is Limerick's worst example of traffic planning 36 votes

Bus lane on the ennis road beween Coonagh and Ivan's
    0% 0 votes
    Closure of the road between the Quality Hotel and the Southern Ring Road
    8% 3 votes
    Traffic island in bus lane in dooradoyle
    27% 10 votes
    Traffic lights between the Groody roundabout and the Parkway roundabout on the Dublin road
    5% 2 votes
    Childer's road retail park entrance/exit.
    5% 2 votes
    The closure of Sir Harry's Mall
    25% 9 votes
    The new traffic island just beyond the Abbey bridge for the turn off to the Absolute Hotel.
    5% 2 votes
    Tipperary Road junction with the Southern Ring Road
    0% 0 votes
    Two sets of traffic lights at the Hilton Hotel
    22% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I really hope they don't close the road between the Quality Hotel and the Southern Ring Road. That will just cause massive delays on the childers road (again) and I am sure the Quality hotel management will not be too happy either. I don't have a major problem with the rest of them:

Two sets of traffic lights at the Hilton Hotel - as soon as the hotel fully opens these will be needed.

Traffic lights between the Groody roundabout and the Parkway roundabout on the Dublin road - I think these are a great idea, there was an awful lot of accidents here with people getting frustrated and just pulling out in front of other traffic.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

h3000 wrote:
    I really hope they don't close the road between the Quality Hotel and the Southern Ring Road. That will just cause massive delays on the childers road (again) and I am sure the Quality hotel management will not be too happy either. I don't have a major problem with the rest of them:

Two sets of traffic lights at the Hilton Hotel - as soon as the hotel fully opens these will be needed.

Traffic lights between the Groody roundabout and the Parkway roundabout on the Dublin road - I think these are a great idea, there was an awful lot of accidents here with people getting frustrated and just pulling out in front of other traffic.

The Hilton need only have put the entrance on O'Callaghan Strand and there are roundabouts at either end of the Parkway Road. Why not just put up a wire and not allow right turns there at all, like the exit from Fernbank onto the Condell Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

ninty9er wrote:
    The Hilton need only have put the entrance on O'Callaghan Strand.
    I don't think it has increased any traffic delays that already existed on this road, maybe traffic heading in the Ennis direction takes a little longer to reach Union Cross. If anything I think it is now easier to exit from Belfield Gardens.
    ninty9er wrote:
    there are roundabouts at either end of the Parkway Road. Why not just put up a wire and not allow right turns there at all, like the exit from Fernbank onto the Condell Road.
    I see your point but I still think that these are a good idea. Any traffic that is exiting the retail park and heading out of the city no longer has to que up at an already conjested roundabout (parkway roundabout).

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

The worst is trying to get onto the Tipperary road from the southern ring road, that should have been done with roundabouts like every other exit off a dual carriage way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

:( i wanted to vote for two . The Quality Hotel one is the one most likely to give me grief , but the Tipp Road one is the most ridiculous . Went for the Quality Hotel exit because it's all about me me me :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Went with Quality Hotel but the Traffic Island is rediculious...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Most of those are ridiculous all right. I confess I don't know where all of them are. Pics must be provided!
    Traffic lights between the Groody roundabout and the Parkway roundabout on the Dublin road

Didn't see anything wrong with that one actually. I've seen a couple of accidents there and it also seems to have lessened the amount of people in the wrong lane on the parkway roundabout. I hate roundabouts and everybody on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Sunday at 3pm there was gridlock on Childers road from the Retail park to the Roxboro roundabout and down Mulgrave street from the Kilmallock roundabout to the graveyard. It's even worse on weekdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Aesop wrote:
    Ever wonder how a city of 100,000 people can have major traffic congestion to rival that of cities whose populations are measured in millions.

Well said, I moved to Swansea last year after 20+ years in Limerick. Over twice the population but you can zip across the city in minutes.

Memories of spending 40 minutes getting across town to Corbally are long distant!

Serioulsy - PUT A ROUNDABOUT AT ST. MARY'S CHURCH!!!! Woever manages Limerick's traffic is most certainly not up the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

wingnut wrote:
    Woever manages Limerick's traffic is most certainly not up the job.

I thought we had an unwritten agreement on this forum that the words "limerick" , "traffic" and "management" , or any forms thereof , would never appear in the same post . Maybe this nod and a wink agreement should be made a sticky . ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Concept

Is the road at the Quality Hotel closed..........and if so, did anyone give a reason for this madness?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Concept wrote:
    Is the road at the Quality Hotel closed..........and if so, did anyone give a reason for this madness?

Its not being closed, the ability to leave the ring road to it is being closed.
    As is the ability to get onto it from the cork road.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

It hasn't happened yet but the plan is that it will

http://tinyurl.com/2bn4lv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Concept

Thanks for the reply............this has to get top of the poll........obviously the f***wit who suggested this doesn't live on the south side of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

While the link road between childers and southern ring will affect me getting into the city from that direction from dooradoyle, I have voted for the tipp road juntion. For a major junction it is extremely dangerous and an example of terrible planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

That Tipp road exit is lethal and they expect it to be one of the main exits into the city God sometimes i really dont get this town at all

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I read something a while back that they plan on putting traffic lights up at the Tipperary road/Southern Ring Road juncitons.

They seem to think traffic lights solve everything. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

bazz26 wrote:
    I read something a while back that they plan on putting traffic lights up at the Tipperary road/Southern Ring Road juncitons.

They seem to think traffic lights solve everything. :rolleyes:

I think it was the top 10 of everything I was reading and Ireland, Limerick City Council were the worldwide no.1 purchaser of traffic lights. Followed by Ireland, Limerick County Council in 2nd place:D :D:D

The also got the highest discount on mini roundabouts in the reverse order:p :p

All that's needed on the Tipp road is to put flyovers on the dual carriageway to allow to ascend cross desend and exit on the correct side so as to be only making left turns onto the Tipp Road...anyone think that's an idea..should I be the Senior County Roads Engineer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Crea wrote:
    Sunday at 3pm there was gridlock on Childers road from the Retail park to the Roxboro roundabout and down Mulgrave street from the Kilmallock roundabout to the graveyard. It's even worse on weekdays.
    It was just as bad again on Monday at 2.45, and some poor sod of an ambulance driver had to negotiate his way through it with no room for any of the cars to move out of the way (two lanes locked solid from the Old Cork Road to the CRaP).....and I had work at 4 - in Ennis :mad:

Made it in with seconds to spare!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

How are you supposed to choose just one from that list??
    Went for Childer's road retail park entrance/exit in the end because the traffic is just chaotic there.
    Don't know anything about the closure of the road between the Quality Hotel and the Southern Ring Road - but by the sounds of it this is going to be horrific as well - really need to get home more often.
    I have to agree with MarkR in that Traffic lights between the Groody roundabout and the Parkway roundabout on the Dublin road will hopefully be a good thing to stop accidents there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

I would agree that the traffic lights on the Dublin road are not posing much of a problem. However when the retail park there is more than doubled in size the light sequence will have to be changed and then the fun will begin...

Why did they not learn from the childers road? Do not place large retail centers on already major traffic routes of the city? And they are going to do it again at Coonagh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

cAr0l wrote:
    How are you supposed to choose just one from that list??
    Went for Childer's road retail park entrance/exit in the end because the traffic is just chaotic there.

Snap.

I only noticed the double set of traffic lights at the HIlton Hotel last night :eek: Madness! And confusing as hell.

Advertisement