Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giggs 9th Medal Greatest Premiership Player??

• 08-05-2007 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭

I was just reading a link to an old post/thread. The old thread was about "fergie being voted the greatest manager of all time etc ", one post caught my eye and started me thinking. The individual post was asking about the greatest player ever to play in the Premiership .
    So my question is does the fact that Giggs won his Ninth winner's medal at the weekend automatically give him this title/reward ??

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Nope - Giggs is not the best player to ever play in the Premiership.

Difference between being the greatest player to ever play in a league and being that leagues most decorated player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

It means Gigg's is most successful premiership player of all time, perhaps not the best. But certainly up there if your consider his achievements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

ROCKMAN wrote:
    So my question is does the fact that Giggs won his Ninth winner's medal at the weekend automatically give him this title/reward ??

Not even the best player in the premiership at United.. So no..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I wouldn't say he is the best.
    Like if we were just going based on one seasons performance, I think players like Pires, Keane, Henry, Cantona, Vieira would all be there.

That said, he is the best left winger to ever play in the premiership.
    He is one of the best players to play in the premiership.
    I don't think he is the best, but defo up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

No.

At best he can be considered the player with most PL winners medals.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't former Chelsea player Deschamps
    1998 FIFA World Cup winner
    Euro 2000 winner
    Champions League winner 1993, 1996
    Intercontinental cup winner 1996
    European Super Cup winner 1996
    Ligue 1 winner 1991, 1992, 1993
    Serie A winner 1995, 1997, 1998
    Italian Cup winner 1995
    Italian Super Cup winner 1995, 1997
    F.A. Cup winner 2000

Surely by your criteria he'd be the best player ever to play in the Premiership, while clearly no-one would argue he was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

If medals meant everything then heck, Shearer musta been crap altogether :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

ROCKMAN wrote:

Absolutely not. As mentioned there are players even at Manchester United better than him. Let alone the entire league and those who have retired and so on. Giggs is a good player, but not the greatest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

He'd be up there in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Savman wrote:
    If medals meant everything then heck, Shearer musta been crap altogether :rolleyes:

He was indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

s8n wrote:
    He was indeed
    :rolleyes:
    Educate yourself ffs
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Shearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

How many people would have said Hansen was the greatest player to grace the English game before Saturday?

Giggs broke his record but still can't be considered to be the greatest as magnificant as he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

nipplenuts wrote:
    No.

At best he can be considered the player with most PL winners medals.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't former Chelsea player Deschamps
    1998 FIFA World Cup winner
    Euro 2000 winner
    Champions League winner 1993, 1996
    Intercontinental cup winner 1996
    European Super Cup winner 1996
    Ligue 1 winner 1991, 1992, 1993
    Serie A winner 1995, 1997, 1998
    Italian Cup winner 1995
    Italian Super Cup winner 1995, 1997
    F.A. Cup winner 2000

Surely by your criteria he'd be the best player ever to play in the Premiership, while clearly no-one would argue he was

??????

Deschamp has no premiership medals.
    The OP is asking the question should he be considered the greatest premiership player because of his premiership medals - not his overall medal haul.

It's a valid argument in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

My own opinion is that Giggs is a great player and i fully agree with PHB view that he is the best left winger to play in the premiership. And although he is the most successful player (medals wise) this fact alone those not automatically give him the title of greatest Premiership Player. However he would definitely be up there .
    But like all threads about "THE GREATEST............... " there will ever be any answer that will have 100% agreement . Everybody see these things different whether u base your opinion on personal memories, club loyalties, success, personal tastes or type of player etc..
    Example Here's Five... Keane, Henry, Cantona, Shearer and Le Tissier all greats and legends but try a poll/thread and you know the debate and argument will start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Winning lots of medals in a team sport doesnt translate into being the best player. good as he was, Alan Hansen wanst to best player ever to play in England up until last weekend.

If Utd won the next 10 PL's in a row with John O'Shea in the squad, I seriously doubt anyone would be calling him the best ever player in PL history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

ROCKMAN wrote:
    Everybody see these things different whether u base your opinion on personal memories, club loyalties, success, personal tastes or type of player etc..
    Example Here's Five... Keane, Henry, Cantona, Shearer and Le Tissier all greats and legends but try a poll/thread and you know the debate and argument will start

There could be no argument there, the much loved Keano would win hands down.

I don't think Giggs is the best Player to grace the premiership but when he hits top form there is not many better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No, Roy Keane is the best ever premiership player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

William Prunier was the greatest Premiership player ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's clearly the legend Djimi Traore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Roy Keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Obviously not -- C. Ronaldo is ;)

hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

cheesedude wrote:
    No, Roy Keane is the best ever premiership player.

Fact.

Advertisement