Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congrats Northern Ireland

Options
  • 08-05-2007 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

I have just been watching the speeches in Northern Ireland, and I just wanted to say congratulations to all the people there, and I hope that the peace will continue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

As does everyone here, im sure. Good day alright, lets hope it lasts this time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Great day in this Island's history, fair play to to both Governments and especially to Ian Paisley and his party and Gerry Adams and his party.

Not many people would have predicted Paisley and Adams would be in government together a few years back, proud day to be Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Absolutely congrats to everyone involved...great day especially for people of Northern Ireland but we can all rejoice in this one.

Never thought I'd see the day, very glad to have been proven wrong on this one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

Some photo

1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

"So then I said, that's not a duck!" *raucous laughter*

They look like a right bunch of happy campers don't they?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Congratulations indeed - even though we've been sitting and waiting for this date since the last elections, I'm sure many people (myself included) still felt a bit of uncertainty that it would happen - I was almost expecting Paisley or McGuinness to read out the pledge, only to reveal that one of them was crossing his fingers the whole time!

But overall, an unremarkable meeting occoured today, which in being so was a very remarkable event. Let's hope this is the beginning of something great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RalphCifaretto

Ahearn obviously didn't get the memo about which tie to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

ha :D

Just also like to say Congratulations to all involved with this. I didnt think I would have seen it happen as quiclky as it did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Great day for all.

Love to know why there are so few congrats on this thread as if it had been something negative about NI we would be in 4 pages already of blaming sinn fein and their evil ways:p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Naw one of his friends bought the wrong one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jank probably because of lot of us feel this should have happened years ago. But its nice to see it happen, lets hope they don't balls it up !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Of course, but im just highlighting the fact that its very easy to point fingers and blame others while when something historic like today happens those who did the pointing are very very quiet............

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

gandalf wrote:
    Naw one of his friends bought the wrong one :D

Class :D:D:D

people are quick to complain and slow to compliment...tis human nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭skeptic griggsy

Congratulations for being so rational at last! The religious antagonism should lessen with secularization as is happening in Ireland and the rest of Great Britain.And perhaps there will be more atheists in Northerm Ireland also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

And can't see anything except flibbing General election posts everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

While I am delighted to see my goverment sitting down and the language used today which is very good to hear even the above posted pic is one I thought never to see.

I really am holding true praise in seeing what they can do about the issues they where elected under.

Lack of Housing
    Education
    Rates Increases
    Water Rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Great news, and very encouraging to see footage of them all laughing together :)

I was wondering though, when there's another assembly election -- is there a chance that the parties could bring up the 'past' again as part of their campaign? I mean, will there be a gentlemens' agreement between the parties not to refer to SF's connections with the IRA for example?

Or will they just be campaigning on the basis that this group wants to increase water charges? :) The campaign for this assembly was somewhat tame, but I'm just worried that something might damage the fragile relationship between the main parties and it could all go arseways!

But that aside, it's really great to see this happening. I can imagine it's very emotional for a great number of people in the north. I'm even feeling emotional and I wasn't even alive during the Troubles :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

DaveMcG wrote:
    Great news, and very encouraging to see footage of them all laughing together :)

I was wondering though, when there's another assembly election -- is there a chance that the parties could bring up the 'past' again as part of their campaign? I mean, will there be a gentlemens' agreement between the parties not to refer to SF's connections with the IRA for example?

Or will they just be campaigning on the basis that this group wants to increase water charges? :) The campaign for this assembly was somewhat tame, but I'm just worried that something might damage the fragile relationship between the main parties and it could all go arseways!

But that aside, it's really great to see this happening. I can imagine it's very emotional for a great number of people in the north. I'm even feeling emotional and I wasn't even alive during the Troubles :o

Well for the most part they're not going for the same vote, so the DUP reminding unionists that SF has an IRA connection would be received with a chorus of "well, duh" - in fact it would even damage them as people would start asking why they went into Government with them if they still didn't trust them.

Only the SDLP could possibly gain electorally from bringing that up at this stage, and I doubt they even would.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

patsyh wrote:
    Some photo

1.jpg
    pic of the year,who would have thought it

Advertisement