Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A recommendation, if you would ?

Options
  • 08-05-2007 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

The time has come to buy me a board, the problem is that I have no idea what I should be looking out for.

I'm a 6FT male, weight = 95KG so I'm a bit on the heavier side of the scale.

Surfing level is still beginner.

Size-wise I suppose I would need something around 7FT ? But do I need to look out for certain models that can support the heavier gentleman ?

If anyone could make a recommendation so I could keep an eye out it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I started on a 9 foot circle one long board, brilliant board, great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Thanks lightening, would you say a longboard is the way to go in this scenario altogether ?

Not really, I just found it great, easy to catch waves, easy to ride... I love surfing, but I am not an "expert" I have a 7 ft mini mal now, but would never get rid of the 9 ft board. I can surf messy small waves on the east coast with it. The only problem is trying to cary it back to the car when the wind is high.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

lightening wrote:
    The only problem is trying to cary it back to the car when the wind is high.

Trying fitting it onto a dart in rush hour :P
    I would second the longboard option, its a great size to learn on, great for catching waves in less than average conditions and they are pretty bad ass.

Is that liable to take off on the motorway?

• Advertisement

I don't know, I would never drive on a motorway with it like that. I only drive at 50kph from my house to the beach (1 kilometer) and its fine.

Seeing as your a dublin reg where would you surf usually ? I've been eeking out a surfing existence at whiterock for the last couple months, havnt tried anything north of the city yet any insight ?

I was out in Portmarnock all last week after work, nothing amazing, just some small sets, pretty messy. Looks good for later on this week though.

http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-MSW-Surf-Charts/1/swell/in/

Is the swell not all going the wrong way? Like its vexing to see at that swell and know its passsing you by....

I don't really know what it will be like until I get there to be honest. Sometimes the forecast is bad and there are allright waves there... I might head out after work tonight, I will keep you posted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

longboarding rules!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Griff77

Hey lightening, Checked Portmarnock yesterday after work but it was only a few inch's. Unsurfable but i'm gonna check again tonight after work and hopefully there'll be something working. Do you surf up near the steps or further down towards the hotel/golf course? I'm from malahide and desperate for a surf. It'd be so handy if it worked this close to home! I'm a newbie so not like i need anythin decent! Headin to Lahinch on friday though for some proper swell!! Forecast looks good...

Near the steps Griff. Best spot I believe. Lahinch is going to be thumping at the weekend by all accounts. Enjoy!!

Advertisement