Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Submitting a Thesis

Options
  • 08-05-2007 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭

Just submitting a thesis to UCD now soon for a Masters.
    Do you go to the Examinations Office to hand it in? What's the story with the form signed by the Supervisor? Is that an essential item?

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You submit it in the Admin (Michael Tierney) building at the student desk. Not sure about the supervisor thing. I've never had to hand one in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

I never had to get my supervisor to sign anything before handing in mine last year. Although departments may differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I never had to get my supervisor to sign anything either, I just had to show up with the required number of copies and fill out a form and that was it. Make sure you have enough copies though, most departments require two or three, and people regularly don't check it and show up at the student desk with only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

I think most departments want three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Think its three for a lot of subjects. Mine was two. You hand it in at the student desk, and you don't need supervisor signature for an MA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

So i submitted my Master thesis (masters by research) in November, and have been waiting since to hear from the examiners. Yesterday my supervisor calls me up to his office (hes a bit of an eejit tbh), to talk about corrections i did before the submission last year. He then says that if i'm sure i did all those corrections he gave me, which i obviously did at the time, that he'll need me to get some hard-bound copies done up. Hard bound copies are obviously the final step in doing the masters, so i ask him if he's heard from the examiners, and he says he has and that everything is fine. I was a bit taken aback, as i would have thought that that kind of news would have been important enough to tell me the moment he heard, instead of accidentally stumbling onto the subject.

Anyway, i was thinking today that surely there was some sort of report/feedback sent by the examiners back to him, and if there was i'd like to have a look. So ive emailed my supervisor asking him about it. Does anyone have experience with this? Is there usually a report or something like that? Or should i just forget about it, get the hard bounds, and get out (at last)?

Also does anyone know the procedure for submitting the hard bound copies? Any forms etc?

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

All info for submission here: http://www.ucd.ie/registry/alu/student_info/theses.html

The number you hand in depends on your department, for me it's two soft bound, one hard bound and an electronic copy all to be maroon etc.

I just hand mine into my programme office though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

The numbers of copies you need depends on the department. If you talk to your department they'll guide you through everything. It might be wise to have a look at the UCD submissions policy first, though, incase you need to clarify anything.

Regarding getting feedback on the examiners' comments, I went through my school office, but that was a few years back. It would be best to check with the office about the process as they should be familiar with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

Whats the date for handing in taught MA thesis. The link posted doesn't seem to work.

Advertisement