Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband modem setup question

Options
  • 08-05-2007 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Sorry for the noobie question, but maybe someone here can advise me.

I have 2 pcs in separate rooms. One upstairs and one downstairs. I used to use 56k modem diallup on both for Internet access (1 at a time obviously) - as both rooms have a convenient phone socket wired back to the main phone point in the house.

I got BT Broadband a few weeks ago, with the standard Zyxel ADSL modem. Currently, I plug this modem into the phone line beside the PC and the other end into the LAN port on the PC I want to use. I move the DSL modem if I require Internet Access on the other PC

The question is: If I buy another DSL modem, can I use the 2 PCs on the internet at he same time. Will the broadband line handle this???

If so, where is the best place to pickup another DSL modem??

If not, what are my options

PS: I'd rather not use a wireless router.
    PPS: I don't have CAT5e running between the PCs or rooms, so I don't think a hub is an option.

Thanks,
    MtM

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

PS: I'd rather not use a wireless router.

Why not? You can't have two modems connected at the same time. A wireless router is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If I understand your post correctly, you want to get a second BB modem and have one setup at each PC and have the 2 online at the same time? Is that right?

Unfortunately thats not possible. Only 1 BB modem can be active on the line at any one time. Your options are to get a wireless router & a wireless adapter for one of the PCs (which you don't want) or get a wired router and run some cat5 to the 2nd PC. Then both can go online at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Thanks folks,
    So I can't use 2 BB modems on one line then :(

I'm not keen on wireless as both machines are fairly old and don't have any slots left for wireless cards. Would have to jettison someting else.

If I do end up using a wireless router plus wireless adaptor in one of the PCs, will this connection be slower or the same as connecting the ADSL modem directly? (2Meg Broadband):confused:

Thanks,
    MtM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

USB wireless adapters are fairly cheap and should do the trick. If everything's set up right the speed should be fine.

How old are the pcs?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

a USB Adapter ( Wireless-B 11MBps anything higher is usless if your PC is old and probably only has USB1.1 ) will easily allow you about 2.5MBps throughput.

So, whicever one is used more often, or for larger download sizes, hook up with the cable etc, then use wireless on the other.

Anotehr option, though you might prefer not to, is to use Powerline adapters. Which is basically just using your internal electrical wiring to piggyback the network signals across.

• Advertisement

Thanks again folks.

JNive, you're right, I have a USB 2.0 card on one PC and just USB1.1 on the other.

So, just to clarify, are you saying that with a Wireless-B USB adaptor plugged into a USB 1.1 port on an old PC, I should still get the full benefit of the 2Meg Broadband?

MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It depends.
    Maybe without a hub and no other USB devices. It's close.

Cheers Watty.
    MtM

Advertisement