Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tna ?

• 08-05-2007 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭

lads i havent watch wrestling for a long time but recently iv been watch again and iv somtimes watch TNA

Is TNA popular?

is a big company like WWE or new enough company

from the arena's and crowds i see on TNA it looks small?

i rather WWE but theres a some wrestlers i like on TNA like Aj Styles and Chris sabin

but this pisses me off

that jay lethal mg its some rip off of Macho Man randy savage
    i couldn't watch him

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Is TNA popular? Depends who you ask. They seem to have a pretty loyal fanbase. They have put on some decent wrestling on occasion (i'm not going to even go near the mess that is their creative division).

I wouldn't say they are a big company (I think their record attendence is 3,800 or something and they usually get about a 1.0 in the ratings), but they are WWE's biggest rival. They are new enough, they were founded in 2002, by Jeff Jerrett ana his dad.

TNA's arena only holds a few hundred people AFAIK. Also, there are only 3 sides with a crowd, the side we don't see on camera is just one or two rows and then a wall.

I won't go into the amount of wasted talent they have, but I suppose WWE are guilty of that to.

If you hate Jay's new gimmick, stop watching TNA now. It seems they are trying to make us believe Sharkboy is actually Stone Cold in a mask. Although, he does do a pretty good Austin impression. You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IciQyWWR4xk
    The Sharkboy segment is roughly at 17:30 on the vid.
    Sorry for going off-topic near the end there and I hope these answer your questions on TNA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

thats a very good impression of Stone Cold by Shark boy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

TNA is the Daniel O'Donell of the wrestling industry.

Like Daniel, 95% of people either don't know or don't care about its existence.

5% of wrestling fans love blindingly the company and will support it forever.

In saying that people pay to go Daniels shows. In Disney world where TNA gets filmed, everyone gets in free.

To be serious, TNA have largely a very good roster. You just wouldn't know it the way they produce their tv shows and book their matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

In fairness to TNA, if you compare Lockdown to wrestlemania it's a no contest in terms of entertainment. It's better than people here are giving it credit for

Bubs101 wrote:
    In fairness to TNA, if you compare Lockdown to wrestlemania it's a no contest in terms of entertainment. It's better than people here are giving it credit for

That was the one with the blindfold in a cage match?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A friend of mine showed me the Shark Boy Stone Cold impersonation and the first thing that came to my mind was WCW and the 'Old Age Outlaws'.

I'd bet any money that Russo is behind these WWE rip-offs that we're witnessing.

The fact that they think they can better themselves by having their young talent mimc the stars of other promotions shows how f*cked up their mentality is. We'll probably have Alex Shelley copying The Rock next week.

As Vince touched on above they have good talent but no idea whatsoever on how to use them properly. As Mick Foley said in an interview recently, they have turned Samoa Joe into just another guy.

They ought to fire Russo and convince Jarrett to remove himself from the creative frame. Then they could have Jim Cornette bring some respectability back to the company. Won't happen of course.

They even made a mess of their big 'dream match' with Angle and Sting by putting it on free TV. It didn't give them a good rating of course because they don't know how to promote to save their lives.

Kane and Khali ring a bell?
    Lockdown had a good main event, Wrestlemania didn't. TNA even put on a good Diva match. Everyone knows the gimmick matches were crap, and MITB was definitly the best match of the two, but overall, Lockdown was alot better

Bubs101 wrote:
    Everyone knows the gimmick matches were crap

They were all gimmick matches though. TNA have so many wacky matches, they have redefined what a gimmick match is. A cage just isn't enough to be classified as a gimmick anymore!

If you enjoyed it fair enough. Buy the dvd. In fact buy 2 dvds. Give TNA some money. The wrestling world needs more competition and hopefully TNA will get their act together before its too late.

There was just too many silly things on the show for me. Plus i much preferred the Wrestlemania main event.

You prefered Micheals Cena to the Lethal Lockdown?????
    Rhyno Gored AJ through the cage door, and there was an original frankensteiner. I prefer the WWE by a long way but Wrestlemania was shocking

Bubs101 wrote:
    You prefered Micheals Cena to the Lethal Lockdown?????

I did.

• Advertisement

I'm not gonna pull a KentonBomb and insult a veteran but in all fairness, that match was carp, utter carp. So was ECW match, and despite JBL's best efforts the "lumberjill pandemonium" was shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

tna needs a serious kick in the arse,9 months ao they had kurt angle come in and were going prime time,all looking up,fast forward to now and they have vince "****wit" russo booking things,god only knows what that company would have been like if jim cornette and paul heyman got involved,now its like wcw 2000 all over again,washed up wwe stars and nonsensical booking

Bubs101 wrote:
    Lockdown had a good main event, Wrestlemania didn't.

What are you smoking? The Wrestlemania main event was a very good match. Lockdown's main event was a spotfest. An entertaining spotfest sure, but a spotfest nonetheless.

Lockdown was a disaster. You must be the first person I've encountered who preferred that show to Mania. Hell, Lockdown had fans chanting for people to be FIRED because it stunk so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Austin is back as Sharkboy :D:D:D:D

During the blindfold match, wich I've already said was insane. I prefer WWE but Lockdown was very good, and personally, I fell wrestlemania dissapointed.And as for spotfest, what else would you call Money in the Bank?

Bubs101 wrote:
    During the blindfold match, wich I've already said was insane. I prefer WWE but Lockdown was very good, and personally, I fell wrestlemania dissapointed.And as for spotfest, what else would you call Money in the Bank?

Money in the Bank was undoubtedly a spotfest but at least the Mania main event gave us a solid wrestling match.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

I havent seen lockdown myself. Infact I don't watch TNA at all. It just doesnt appeal to me. Anyways with regards to the main event at wrestlemania, the cena HBK match, I wasn't overly impressed. Sure alot of us here were giving out about Cena not selling and how the match was slow, the day after the event. In fairness though, even though I haven't seen Lockdown ( I laughed when I read there was a blinfold cage match) im sure there wasn't any match that came close to Batista/Undertaker. Now that my friends was a good match.

Money in the Bank was undoubtedly a spotfest but at least the Mania main event gave us a solid wrestling match.

Lockdown even gave the fans a solid Diva's match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

TNA is the Daniel O'Donell of the wrestling industry.

Haha, I like that analogy

TNA has a lot of good wrestlers and some great wrestlers. They just don't seem to be able to book good feuds or matches at the moment though. Matches which have the potential to be excellent have been ruined by gimmicks this year (AJ Styles vs Rhino, any of LAX's matches, Sting vs Abyss). The quality of their matches picked up on the last ppv, but the build-up to most of the matches didn't make them something I wanted to see

A lot of wrestlers in TNA do have a problem with "star power" I think. The likes of Jay Lethal. He's a great wrestler, but just hasn't shown that spark that can get you over with the fans. I think this is why they've stuck this Black Machismo gimmick on him. He's able to do a good Randy Savage impression, and while I don't like it personally, it's gotten him over with some of the fans

But then they have wrestlers who do have that star power, like Alex Shelley, and they push him into the background, occasionally doing funny skits but not really letting him do anything of substance in the ring. I know WWE are often guilty of the exact same things, but they've got their fans who'll buy their product anyway. TNA has to offer an alternative, because there's not many fans who'll watch both shows if they're aiming for the same thing

They've got that alternative in the X-Division, but that's been pushed way back from where it was a few years ago. It should be one of the selling points of TNA. Their heavyweight division has so much potential with Joe, Angle, Sting and Christian, but they have a habit of making those guys seem ordinary instead of people we should care about

And just to add to that Shark Boy thing, I thought it was good. I don't think they're going to keep having him immitate Austin, I was under the impression it was just a once off thing. It was funny because Nash supposedly "transformed" Lethal and Dutt's careers, but he hasn't been able to come up with a good gimmick for Shark Boy yet. If they keep it up then they've ruined the joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

They even made a mess of their big 'dream match' with Angle and Sting by putting it on free TV. It didn't give them a good rating of course because they don't know how to promote to save their lives.
    People will still pay for that match. The match they had on TV was 2 minutes long

If you ask me the root of TNA's problems is a lack of TV time, plane and simple!!

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote:

A lot of wrestlers in TNA do have a problem with "star power" I think. The likes of Jay Lethal. He's a great wrestler, but just hasn't shown that spark that can get you over with the fans. I think this is why they've stuck this Black Machismo gimmick on him. He's able to do a good Randy Savage impression, and while I don't like it personally, it's gotten him over with some of the fans

But then they have wrestlers who do have that star power, like Alex Shelley, and they push him into the background, occasionally doing funny skits but not really letting him do anything of substance in the ring. I know WWE are often guilty of the exact same things, but they've got their fans who'll buy their product anyway. TNA has to offer an alternative, because there's not many fans who'll watch both shows if they're aiming for the same thing

They've got that alternative in the X-Division, but that's been pushed way back from where it was a few years ago. It should be one of the selling points of TNA. Their heavyweight division has so much potential with Joe, Angle, Sting and Christian, but they have a habit of making those guys seem ordinary instead of people we should care about

TV time!! They have had this influx of top heavy weights with Angle, Stiener and Sting, and there using them well if you ask me. Stiener was a joke during his WWE run.
    The flipside is the new guys are getting pushed down the card. If they had an seperate hour long TV show , they would have the time to show case theese guys abilty. Im talking along the lines of a velocity style show. Less talking more wrestling. Where as impact could remian as the short matchs, beat down ending show

People will still pay for that match. The match they had on TV was 2 minutes long

That's the problem. They hype up the match on tv, so if they got any extra viewers they'd probably be turned off by how the match ended up. But I don't think they did get any extra viewers. Less than 2% of their tv audience buys their ppvs I think (might be even less than that)

It's not impossible to have 4 one hour shows that make people want to buy a ppv. Look at the recent De La Hoya/Mayweather fight. They had 4 half-hour shows to promote the fight and they broke ppv records. TNA should approach the one hour as one hour, not as a two hour show compressed and compacted into one

If I was in charge of deciding if TNA get two hours or not, I'd be wary of giving it to them. What makes you think they'll approach their booking any different with two hours? If they think this fast paced stuff is what works, then they'll continue with it

OVW has an hour long tv show and I've seen some of their shows from last year. It's good. They fit good matches and good angles into the one hour, letting the audience focus on what is actually important. With so much going on on Impact, you lose track of what's important on the show and I've found that it's hard to care after a while

If you ask me the root of TNA's problems is a lack of TV time

No statement riles me up more than that one and to be fair your hardly the only one that says it. I really disagree though.

They cry about not having enough time and then they use the time they have by filling it with such bull****.

They have got plenty going for themselves. Its owned by patient people. They have a great roster. They are on prime time on Thursdays. So they only have an hour? Deal with it.

When you have 1.1/1.4 million people watching your show on a weekly basis and yet you only manage to typically convince 25-30000 homes to buy a ppv, you need to re-assess what your doing. The WWE needs to do the same. The difference is though its a more urgent matter for TNA because they're not making money.

They had something with Joe and Angle. They got 60,000 buys for their first match and then ran it into the ground within 2 months to the point that there back to their base level. Things need to change with them and have for quite a while.

wasnt umaga in TNA

i swore i say him before

could ye ever see joe in WWE

A lot of the WWE roster were in TNA at one stage. Off the top of my head you have Umaga, Punk, Mickie James, Jeff Hardy, Sabu, Kendrick, London, Jimmy Wang Yang, Kennedy, Shannon Moore, Monty Brown, Sandman, Trinity plus a couple of refs too I think

I could see Joe in WWE a few years down the line if TNA don't make any great bounds and the likes of Punk and Cabana get pushed by WWE. In that case I'd think it likely that Joe would go to WWE, and he'd be able to become one of their biggest stars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

I don't like joe he's a pain in the arse.....X division is the best

I like jarrett's character as well....King of the mountain tis good

joe is a great wrestler

but im suprized that he has a bit of weight

wonder does he find it hard to keep the weight off

i also love AJ Styles and sabin

who from TNA would be a very big star in WWE

Ah Joe is brilliant. I don't think the weight holds him back at all, he's had plenty of very long matches that I don't think he struggled in at all. When he started out he was lighter, but he didn't look as intimidating

Obviously Angle was a big star for WWE. Christian could've been too, just before he left WWE he was getting way over with the fans, but WWE killed his momentum then. Sting could've been a big star in WWE but it's probably a bit late now. The ones who I think could do great in WWE would be Alex Shelley and Christopher Daniels. Shelley is the "new Chris Jericho", as he's being called more often, and Daniels has something that a lot of WWE fans haven't seen. Their size would work against them in WWE though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

When was Umaga in TNA? I know he was Jamal in 3 Minute Warning but I cant picture him in TNA at all.

Of the guys in TNA that could do well in WWE, that haven't been there before, I'd have Abyss on top of that list. He has the size and image and I'd say he would be over in WWE. Vince won't hire him though, cos he's not one of his guys. I'd love to see Shelley get the call up too, but if TNA don't use him, why would WWE? Maybe AMW too. If WWE go to fix their tag division, these guys could be quite useful. I don't really see the need for Joe in WWE cos they have Umaga and Joe would look like just another Samoan to the WWE fans who haven't seen him before.

• Advertisement

Double C wrote:
    When was Umaga in TNA? I know he was Jamal in 3 Minute Warning but I cant picture him in TNA at all.

Late 2003 I think. Back in the days of their weekly ppvs. He was called Ekmo there

And meanwhile, in WWEland, Rosey was the S.H.I.T. It's all coming back to me now!

Double C wrote:
    And meanwhile, in WWEland, Rosey was the S.H.I.T. It's all coming back to me now!

What's up with that

Fozzy wrote:
    The ones who I think could do great in WWE would be Alex Shelley and Christopher Daniels. Shelley is the "new Chris Jericho", as he's being called more often, and Daniels has something that a lot of WWE fans haven't seen. Their size would work against them in WWE though

Daniels was in WWE at one stage. If you watch beyond the mat you can see him in the background when vince and Jim Corenett are watching the moniter. He had hair at the time. If you pause it you can see his name scrawled on the chalk board underneath the two indee guys who were trying out.
    I never got the whole Daniels hype! I saw his matchs with AJ. I always came away with the thought that AJ was the better wrestler.

I think the main reason Id prefer to watch TNA over WWE is that TNA seem to be going somewhere, where as WWE seem to going in circles

I never got the whole Daniels hype! I saw his matchs with AJ. I always came away with the thought that AJ was the better wrestler.
    That's exactly the point, Daniels excels at making others look good, even mr. big spot AJ. Daniels is terrific in the ring and has really been used well by TNA in years gone by for putting over younger guys, while always looking strong himself.

I saw one of his few WWE matches recently, he was fighting TAKA frim around 1998. WWE used guys like Low Ki back then too, I remember him vs Essa Rios.

As for TNA going somewhere, it might be fun to sit back and watch them spiral into destruction, cos if anywhere, thats where they are headed.

Advertisement