Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LG 830 3pay as Modem

• 08-05-2007 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭

Thinking of getting this phone LG U830 on 3pay. Rather then using their new USB modem which is meant to be coming out soon.

http://www.3ireland.ie/handsets_new/handset-overview-2-5.htm

Mainly to use as a modem with my laptop. As Mobile BB with 3 varies in price from 5.99 to 19.99... I think a few other posts stated that the 3pay phones are routed through another proxy.

Has anyone had any problems in setting a 3pay mobile phone up as a modem? Any feedback, pro's and cons appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I'm considering swithing providers at the moment and visited the new 3 shop in the Pavilions in Swords on Saturday to check out their deals.

One of my requirements was mobile broadband using the phone (Nokia Sim Free N73) as a modem. The sales guy made it quite clear that this wouldn't work and pointed out that only browsing from the phone itself would be permitted by their network.

Vodafone, my current provider, don't seem to have a problem doing this so I don't understand why 3 would. I too would be very interested in finding out if anyone has done this.

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

3Pay doesn't allow internet access via modem - it gets a connection but everything is bastardized by the 3 widerweb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Dammer wrote:
    Thinking of getting this phone LG U830 on 3pay. Rather then using their new USB modem which is meant to be coming out soon.

http://www.3ireland.ie/handsets_new/handset-overview-2-5.htm

Mainly to use as a modem with my laptop. As Mobile BB with 3 varies in price from 5.99 to 19.99... I think a few other posts stated that the 3pay phones are routed through another proxy.

Has anyone had any problems in setting a 3pay mobile phone up as a modem? Any feedback, pro's and cons appreciated.

Spent 15 hours setting this up as a modem with a macBook last weekend so I know all about it. Night and Mare.

Very difficult to get it to connect but I managed it eventually, only to discover that it then doesn't work on pre-pay.

As for the phone itself here's what they don't tell you: the USB is v1.1 and so is bluetooth. You will never get HSDPA speeds from those, only from browsing on the handset itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ZENER wrote:
    I'm considering swithing providers at the moment and visited the new 3 shop in the Pavilions in Swords on Saturday to check out their deals.

One of my requirements was mobile broadband using the phone (Nokia Sim Free N73) as a modem. The sales guy made it quite clear that this wouldn't work and pointed out that only browsing from the phone itself would be permitted by their network.
    you can on bill pay.
    ZENER wrote:
    Vodafone, my current provider, don't seem to have a problem doing this so I don't understand why 3 would. I too would be very interested in finding out if anyone has done this.
    ah you've made the fatal mistake. you asked "why". there is no why. 3's decisions are made by a team of monkeys at the hong kong zoo

and some manatees

ah you've made the fatal mistake. you asked "why". there is no why. 3's decisions are made by a team of monkeys at the hong kong zoo

and some manatees

Put some Bean a' ti's in charge -that'll sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Dammer wrote:
    Thinking of getting this phone LG U830 on 3pay.
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but does anyone have any experience of this phone, is it good? I'm thinking of buying it as they appear to have reduced it to 149euro;
    http://three.ie/handsets_new/handset-features-2-5.htm

rc28 wrote:
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but does anyone have any experience of this phone, is it good? I'm thinking of buying it as they appear to have reduced it to 149euro;
    http://three.ie/handsets_new/handset-features-2-5.htm

Are they offering a free bargepole with it?

culabula wrote:
    Are they offering a free bargepole with it?
    Anyone got anything constructive to say:rolleyes:

rc28 wrote:
    Anyone got anything constructive to say:rolleyes:

I thought I had some time ago, above and I would have thought today's admonishment to procure a bargepole would say it all really. It's a horrid phone, difficult to pair with a computer and not capable of true HSDPA speeds (not that the network is either).

So yes, I do have something to say: save your money, avoid.

culabula wrote:
    I thought I had some time ago, above and I would have thought today's admonishment to procure a bargepole would say it all really. It's a horrid phone, difficult to pair with a computer and not capable of true HSDPA speeds (not that the network is either).

So yes, I do have something to say: save your money, avoid.
    Ok thanks, I just wanted more explanation of why I shouldn't touch it with a bargepole:) It's a pity that the phones that actually look ok are usually crap:D

• Advertisement

rc28 wrote:
    Ok thanks, I just wanted more explanation of why I shouldn't touch it with a bargepole:) It's a pity that the phones that actually look ok are usually crap:D

It's a very handsome phone, it probably functions admirably as a phone. But the 1.1 USB connection is a no-no, the interface is a bit stilted and it was a royal PITA to connect via bluetooth with a laptop. In the end I had to track down a Sony z1010 script via an Italian forum FFS, which I then installed and got it to work. Fifteen hours later.

culabula wrote:
    It's a very handsome phone, it probably functions admirably as a phone. But the 1.1 USB connection is a no-no, the interface is a bit stilted and it was a royal PITA to connect via bluetooth with a laptop. In the end I had to track down a Sony z1010 script via an Italian forum FFS, which I then installed and got it to work. Fifteen hours later.
    Oh, I wouldn't mind if it's crap to connect as a modem cause I have no intention of doing so but what was your experience of it as a normal mobile?
    I'm interested in going to 3 as they have finally opened up 3pay to other applications like opera etc and vodafone are costing me way too much in data charges (3 now give away 100mb data bundles for free).
    Perhaps I've asked about this phone in the wrong thread as I don't care id I can't use it as a modem.

rc28 wrote:
    Oh, I wouldn't mind if it's crap to connect as a modem cause I have no intention of doing so but what was your experience of it as a normal mobile?
    I'm interested in going to 3 as they have finally opened up 3pay to other applications like opera etc and vodafone are costing me way too much in data charges (3 now give away 100mb data bundles for free).
    Perhaps I've asked about this phone in the wrong thread as I don't care id I can't use it as a modem.

Let's say its good looks didn't sway me for very long :-)

It's OK, I guess; I'm just used to phones like the E61 and N95 and the LG seemed a bit clumsy. Strange, as I used to own one of the first LGs on 3UK and thought it was great (though huge).

I doubt too that it supports 3.6mb -if such were available. I suspect 1.8 is its top speed. Difficult to find specs for this phone though they used to be available over at 3 Italy.

Yep, still there:

Design minimal e tecnologia di alto livello. Sempre più veloce grazie alla Tecnologia Bluetooth® e ADSM, il servizio HSDPA di 3 (High Speed Downlink Packet Access) per navigare in Internet fino a 1.8 Mbps!

Here's the link: http://tre.it/3foryou/Videofonini/index_11858_ITA_HTML.htm

3 Ireland are not quite so forthcoming about its specs. It may be that the version available today is an i(mproved) version but it's your call.....

Nota bene: * Velocità massima di connessione supportata dal prodotto. La rete HSDPA al momento disponibile potrebbe consentire la navigazione in Internet solo a velocità inferiori

culabula wrote:
    Here's the link: http://tre.it/3foryou/Videofonini/index_11858_ITA_HTML.htm

3 Ireland are not quite so forthcoming about its specs. It may be that the version available today is an i(mproved) version but it's your call.....

Nota bene: * Velocità massima di connessione supportata dal prodotto. La rete HSDPA al momento disponibile potrebbe consentire la navigazione in Internet solo a velocità inferiori

Advertisement