Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach's educational qualifications

Options
  • 08-05-2007 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Here's a simple question that one should be able to get a straight answer to (but which seems to be proving difficult). Has the Taoiseach Bertie Ahern got a degree from University College Dublin ?

Additional : You see, on the Taoiseach's Department website it says Bertie was educated at UCD -

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/index.asp?locID=189&docID=-1

Yet UCD say they have no record of him having studied there. D.I.T., however, do have a record of him there. What's the story ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Senator

Questions have frequently been raised about the third level qualifications of the Taoiseach. The education sections in his short biographies on the Fianna Fail and government web sites are decidedly vague. His education is merely listed as: "St. Aidan's CBS, Whitehall; Rathmines College of Commerce; University College Dublin."

Previously the Fianna Fail website mentioned The London School of Economics as one of the colleges where he received third level education. The Taoiseach has been quoted as saying he completed diploma courses at the LSE.

But his attendance at both UCD and the LSE have never been proven and there is no documentary record of any qualifications from either institution. The Taoiseach has never claimed any degree from UCD.

(from the Indo article cited.)

So why is the Dept. of the Taoiseach website saying he was educated at UCD ? What did he get there - a Media Studies cert ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Maybe he went there and dropped out? 0_o

Or maybe he forgot that he didn't go there ? Or maybe some of his friends went there on his behalf ?

A pattern is beginning to emerge with Bertie whereby certain things are claimed by him or on his behalf which, when tested, can't be stood up. A man who lies about his education on an official government website is capable of lying about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

He's a fraud. Was he even an accountant or perhaps an accounting technician? I'm not claiming every candidate for Taoiseach requires third level (though I believe it helps, depending on that qualification) but be honest and upfront about it, Bertie.

The problem here is that his silly little rogueish face is still a commodity amongst the electorate and so the opposition parties dare not demonise him personally for fear he (and consequently FF) get a sympathy vote. Shame, they could go to town on him otherwise.

• Advertisement

Bertie himself may well be a fraud ("dis-remembering" both his financial and educational background) but where does that leave the Department of the Taoiseach ? Do the civil servants of the State not check out and verify what they put on their official website ? It is a VERY serious matter when an Irish government website (never mind the partisan Fianna Fáil ones) which contains supposedly-checked official material published for public information and research purposes (among other uses) on behalf of the Irish State contains such blatantly inaccurate material. Can we take it that other Government Department sites are just as inaccurate ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

In all fairness there can be explanations for this (can't believe I'm sticking up for Bertie!). My degree is from TCD but I didn't study there - I studied for my degree in the DIT before it could confer degrees and my PhD was from NUI/UCD even though again the vast majority of my work was carried out in DIT. I also studied in MIT - but didn't get a degree from there - so if I wanted to, I could say I attended MIT.

Not sure that the same happened to but if he did study in Rathmines it may well have been that any qualification he got from there could have been awarded from UCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Would UCD not have a record of you on their system then?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Politics is the only vocation for which no prior qualification is deemed necesary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Would UCD not have a record of you on their system then?
    If this is directed at me - interestingly enough, when I went to get a library card for UCD - the only thing I really needed from there after paying them full fees for 4 years of postgrad, I had to jump through mega hoops to get it, cos although I had to register with them as a student/pay fees - I didn't appear in their student lists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

murphaph wrote:
    He's a fraud. Was he even an accountant or perhaps an accounting technician? I'm not claiming every candidate for Taoiseach requires third level (though I believe it helps, depending on that qualification) but be honest and upfront about it, Bertie.

He's only been Taoiseach for 10 years. It's a bit late to be worrying about his qualifications (or lack of same) now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Bertie would have gone to UCD before records where computerised yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

ArthurDent wrote:
    If this is directed at me - interestingly enough, when I went to get a library card for UCD - the only thing I really needed from there after paying them full fees for 4 years of postgrad, I had to jump through mega hoops to get it, cos although I had to register with them as a student/pay fees - I didn't appear in their student lists.

I see. So yeah I guess Ahern could have a degree from UCD in the same way as you have one. OP I would ring the taoiseach's office and try and find out exactly how he got whatever qualification he says he has, and then start asking questions.

Boston wrote:

I went to Trinity in the early 1970s but they have a record of me from pre-computerised records times. Every other educational institution I subsequently studied at (Masters & Doctorate) also has a record as do all my former places of employment. Similarly with medical and other state records. It's bad enough that people like myself (from a poor working-class council estate background originally) have to struggle to get into a place like Trinity in the first place and through it against considerable odds (financial, class etc.) and then watch politicians and actors and rock stars being handed degrees for nothing, but it's worse seeing politicians claiming to have been to university when they haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Boston wrote:

Looks like he went before they had written records as well ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

gandalf wrote:
    Looks like he went before they had written records as well ;)

Might have a nice sob story for his reasons for not having a qualifcation.. afterall, our Bertie doesnt do formalities.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Boston wrote:

Im sorry, but thats the lamest excuse for them having no records of Bertie. ;) I would highly doubt they lost all references to his education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I don't believe any third level qualification is really required for a career in politics, as everybody knows learning doesn't begin or end in a classroom. However, if I applied for a job and faked a qualification - even if that qualification was not strictly essential - I imagine my application would be rubbished immediately, and rightly so.

I don't think the Taoiseach should be kicked out over possibly misrepresenting his academic record, he should be kicked out over a definite, consistent failure to perform and deliver, and his untrustworthy nature.

A false qualification, if true, is just one symptom of that deceptive nature.

So let me get this right; Bertie is suggesting he has a qualifcation obtained from his attendance at both UCD and the LSE which have never been proven?

So, all in all, its possible (not saying its factual) that Bertie might not be telling the truth? Thus, further casting doubt on his trust worthiness?

And, FF supporters come back with a comment suggesting paper work was lost - strangely, in both places he received these qualifactions. If they dont have a record, wouldnt Bertie? So he could easily clarify this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Sully wrote:
    Im sorry, but thats the lamest excuse for them having no records of Bertie. ;) I would highly doubt they lost all references to his education.

It would explain it, and is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I'm not saying Bertie isnt lying or defending him in any way... but the losing of records is quite possible. Just check out the UCD forum for information on the total shambles that is UCD admin!

Boston wrote:
    It would explain it, and is possible.

It would but TWO places? Thats just very odd if thats the case!

Just a bit off topic, what happened that Ahern got demoted from Finance to Arts and Culture in 1994? That's a fairly substantial political drop, any particular reason for it that some of the old timers can remember:p ?

If this guy really was educated at the London School of Economics, one of the most significant academic institutions in the world in terms of business and law, wouldn't you think it would be mentioned on his official CV? Sounds fishy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Who cares?????

I have a Degree from UCD which I obtained while also working full time and having a good social life - it actually wasn't that hard. Some people who are Graduates seem to think it gives them some sort of Status or something - give us a break.

In my working life I have worked with Managers who had third level education and others who had learned on the job and either system has worked fine.

I think Bertie Ahern has been a very capable politician as Minister for Labour, Finance and as Taoiseach. He is also down to earth interested in History and Sport which appeals to me. He seems to have used bad judgement in relation to his personal finances which is a negative - but not nearly as bad as the prospect of someone using bad judgement in relation to the Countrys finances. So I am still voting Fianna Fáil.

I don't think anyone is saying he's incapable at some political level, but you can't just say 'who care's' as if possibly faking a qualification is irrelevant. If one of your co-workers faked having the same degree as you, and you approached him about it, what would you say if he replied "who cares?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

I personally think that it is important that all ministers should have both educational and practical experience in relation to their position especially the likes of Minister of Finance, Environment, Justice, Education

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Surely he has his diplomas in nice frames hanging on the office wall for all toi see. And the banks must have records of his mortgage payments regardless of whether it was a cash purchase.

...etc.

The Taoiseach's Department has now been officially contacted for a reply and their answer will be posted here in due course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Senator wrote:
    The Taoiseach's Department has now been officially contacted for a reply and their answer will be posted here in due course.

Why not contact the LSE and UCD?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sully wrote:
    If anyone remembers the tragic plane accident that killed the writers, singers, producers for the Norwegian Eurosong entry from the 1970s and their families (as mentioned in Father Ted), apparently Berties lecturers, examiners, tutors, and their families were also on the same plane. Coincidentally, UCD admin staff were taking his file to Norway for nomination for a Nobel Prize in Efficient Accouonting which is why the file got lost.
    Absolutely tragic circumstances!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement