Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach's educational qualifications

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Heinrich wrote:
    Why not contact the LSE and UCD?

I would say asking about another person educational record falls under the remit of the Data Protection Act so it would be witheld

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

kbannon wrote:
    If anyone remembers the tragic plane accident that killed the writers, singers, producers for the Norwegian Eurosong entry from the 1970s and their families (as mentioned in Father Ted), apparently Berties lecturers, examiners, tutors, and their families were also on the same plane. Coincidentally, UCD admin staff were taking his file to Norway for nomination for a Nobel Prize in Efficient Accouonting which is why the file got lost.
    Absolutely tragic circumstances!

You think lecturers, examiners and tutors remember every student or even know every student they teach, a student is a name on a piece of paper. You sir are reaching. Fact is, old paper based filing systems where notoriously poor and unreliable. And even if they where still kept, it would require someone to go through archives to find his records, which you know, may very well have been scrapped if he never completed a course their but only attended for a semester or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Senator

Heinrich wrote:
    Why not contact the LSE and UCD?

They have also been contacted. I find it strange that some supporters of Bertie are coming up with all kinds of weird excuses and explanations for the non-keeping of records by supposedly-respected 3rd level educational institutions. The fact is that the 3 sports teams most associated with our beloved Taoiseach, Manchester United, Glasgow Celtic and Dublin GAA, can locate player records from the 1800s !

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Boston wrote:
    You think lecturers, examiners and tutors remember every student or even know every student they teach, a student is a name on a piece of paper. You sir are reaching. Fact is, old paper based filing systems where notoriously poor and unreliable. And even if they where still kept, it would require someone to go through archives to find his records, which you know, may very well have been scrapped if he never completed a course their but only attended for a semester or two.
    I lectured for several years. I still have copies of all projects, assignments, exams, copies of many roll calls and all sent and received emails.
    My father is a retired UCD lecturer and AFAIK still has lists of all students who attended his courses.

kbannon wrote:
    I lectured for several years. I still have copies of all projects, assignments, exams, copies of many roll calls and all sent and received emails.
    My father is a retired UCD lecturer and AFAIK still has lists of all students who attended his courses.

Bully for you, but I know for a fact not all lecturers keep that type of information, are you claiming they do?If so you're simply wrong. Roll Calls? never been subjected to an offical one yet. Exams scripts are definitely not kept 30 odd years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I didn't say that they did - did I?
    I merely pointed out that not all records are destroyed!

It is really a really really bad coincidence for Bertie that his entire university history has been lost, destroyed or forgotten!

kbannon wrote:
    I didn't say that they did - did I?
    I merely pointed out that not all records are destroyed!

It is really a really really bad coincidence for Bertie that his entire university history has been lost, destroyed or forgotten!

Come off it, either your comment was completely off-topic and pointless "look at me I keep exam scripts and rolls", or it was an attempt at a rebuff my comments, saying that you keep records so therefore some lecturer somewhere should have records going back decades.

Hard copy Records get destroyed in huge quantities, if that wasn't true, why do you yourself feel the need to personally keep copies of examination scripts and assignments? Because you know as well as I do that these are destroyed unless the lecturers keep them.

All you know is that he didn't get a qualification from UCD, there are plenty of people who dropped out of my course early on and are nothing but a single line in a database somewhere at this stage, I can't even remember the names of the ones i knew.

People,if ye want to get to the bottom of Berties UCD stint,then ask him for the specefics.
    You can get your t.d to put down a Dáil question.

Locking this before it descends further into drivvel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement