Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Enda Kenny Stand up to Pat Rabbitte

Options
  • 08-05-2007 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Was watching the Week in Politics on sunday(first time I ever saw McDowell struggle for words) when McDowell made a good point about Enda Kenny's ability to be Taoiseach. He got me thinking when he questioned how Enda Kenny would deal with a situation where Labour and Fine Gael's policies clashed.

To me Pat Rabbitte seems more assertive and a better debater than Enda and I can't see Enda standing up and winning an argument against him.

Comments

Rabbitte in my opinion is always a joy to listen to,even when you disagree with him.He's a good orator.
    Kenny on the other hand is more of a begorrah and ah shur how a ya speaker.
    The difference shouldnt be confused with a variance in inteligence or negotiating skills.

More than half the cabinet will be fine Gael heads anyway if they get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Surely a discussion on policies would not come down to 2 men now would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I always equated Rabbitte to be the quintessential hurler on the ditch. Quick with a quip or snide remark. Some people don't warm to his smart comments or sneering asides.

Able politician, but if he toned down on those times well he feels he can be too smart, he'd be better, I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

They are both capable pragmatic politicans, who have come together to create a joined mandate. They've obviously put some thought into how the government is going to be run. I've said it a lot this last week or so but Kenny isn't as easy to mess around as FF/PD's would like you to think. He's really turned FG around, they looked like a broken party in 2002.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭patzer117

In fairness to Enda I'm sure he's able to hold his own against Rabitte, but given the fact that Fine Gael have already admitted they won't be able to fulfill many of their promises in their election manifesto, (in fact poor Enda was forced to admit this at the launch), because they feel that Labour will not accept them, well then the broader issue is whether Fine Gael will be able to stand up to Labour and push stuff through. I reckon the answer is no

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

The PDs and FF aren't even agreed on income tax, PRSI VAT or capital gains tax, patzer. You disagree on VRT. As it stands, FF aren't even in an election pact with another party.

Even your old partners are afraid to stand too close until they see if the public swallow Ahern's statement about personal payments. That's division and lack of clarity if ever I saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭patzer117

ok, there's a seperate thread for me being able to discuss the FF/PD issue with you. I think you're wrong, just for the record :D

What's funny though is that in your last post you haven't even tried to defend Fine Gael's position. You're more prepared to go on the offensive than defend the ridiculous sham that purports to be the Fine Gael manifesto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

patzer117 wrote:
    In fairness to Enda I'm sure he's able to hold his own against Rabitte, but given the fact that Fine Gael have already admitted they won't be able to fulfill many of their promises in their election manifesto, (in fact poor Enda was forced to admit this at the launch), because they feel that Labour will not accept them, well then the broader issue is whether Fine Gael will be able to stand up to Labour and push stuff through. I reckon the answer is no

Have you a quote for that or is that just your opinion?

Advertisement