Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics project

Options
  • 08-05-2007 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

I would appreciate it any students out there would like to take part in my poll on physics as a subject.

I'm working in the area of multimedia and am in the process of creating an application which should enhance the learning experience and make in easier and more fun.

It would really help my research if ye could contribute to the poll, thanks for help in advance guys.

Which area of physics do you find to be a real pain in the rear? 30 votes

mechanics
    0% 0 votes
    temperature
    10% 3 votes
    heat
    6% 2 votes
    waves
    10% 3 votes
    vibration + sound
    3% 1 vote
    light
    10% 3 votes
    electricity
    6% 2 votes
    modern physics
    53% 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Electricity by far!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

What exactly is the Modern Physics? That all the nucleur fission ****e?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Seems to be what my research is showing up so far. If you have the time, I'd appreciate it if you could elaborate a bit on that, is it the theory or the practical experiments that are particulary hard.

Anything you have to offer on this will be usefull for my project. Thanks.

What exactly is the Modern Physics? That all the nucleur fission ****e?
    Yep, neutrons, atoms and radiation with a bit of einsteins theory thrown into the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I like all of the physics course tbh, but if I had to pick one it would be electricity. Its just too much hassle going over the wheatstone bridge, and smoothing ac with capacitors, blah blah blah. No experiments are hard really, favourite topic with prob be magnetism, which is kinda ironic, seeing as electricity is just a special case of magnetism. Guess the main thing to learn for circuitry is the fact that everything is a ratio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Yep, neutrons, atoms and radiation with a bit of einsteins theory thrown into the mix.
    Grand. I chose that so, but the reason is of no benefit to your research. It was that I missed that part of the course so haven't a feckin notion about it.

It all helps. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

To be honest, its the whole understanding of it that messes me up. Its boring to revise because I have no interest in it, and that makes it harder to learn...
    The circuits are probably the hardest for me to understand, just cant grasp them and never remember what order things are meant to go in. The only thing I can remember bout the circuits now is how to connect something in parallel or series...

I know what you mean about the boredom in revision, I have done many an all nighter myself.
    So if the school or a teacher handed you a cd with an application on it which contained an interesting way of learning circuits it would help a lot? Maybe something interactive with everyday examples of circuits used in 'fascinating' ways?

This is what I am hoping to produce, the topic and the tone of the app are yet to be decided.
    Definately boredom is an issue, any thoughts on what yourself or anyone else might feel would dissapate the boredom in this forced learning environment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

i love all physics except electricity. i just find it boooring, too hard to understand and too hard to study!

• Advertisement

Cheers lads this is great, so far so good. I didn't realise electricity was such a hard subject. I'm going to look into that.
    I'm out for a while, I really appreciate the feedback and the time taken to decide on poll, keep em coming this gives my project good focus and it really helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I think temperature and heat are the most boring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Magnetic flux, lenz law and all that jazz!!! I HATE IIIIT!!!

and applied electricity option is ultra ghey/

Edit: Temperture and heat have their own option? there pretty much together in the same chapter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

and applied electricity option is ultra ghey/

Its fricken awsome:);)
    Seriously though, its more interesting than particle physics in my opinion.
    Mechanics and Heat are the most boring.
    Electricity happens to be one of the handiest for me.

*awaits angry mobs with pitchforks*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Naikon wrote:

All of physics is deadly(and easy). It is indeed frickin' awesome. Dude!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Out of all the subjects, I think its the most interesting and rewarding subject if you put some degree of effort in.
    I mean the course is so short in comparison to the other subjects.
    Not every part is really easy thiugh for everyone(myself included) like those ray diagrams(simple I know but I just cant remember them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Naikon wrote:

Lets get him boys *sharpens pitch fork*

Anywho I love radiation, x rays, einstein stuff, cathode rays. All that stuff is so simple!

Back in again for a mo, thanks so much for the replys and poll votes. This is really making a difference to my project and indeed giving it more focus I can't tell you enough how this response is appreciated.

Keep it up lads, out of all the forums I have encountered so far for feedback on this project by far this has been the best.

Thanks again and keep voting and giving great opinions on what you see as an improvement for the 'boring' issues of physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "Interactive learning products" don't make learning fun or any easier. They're a load of bollocks.

Anyway, Physics for LC is very frustrating because it is so vague in many places(eg. its pseudo-definition of temperature, its explanation of voltage(especially its failure to make the distinction between potential difference, voltage and voltage drop) etc.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, "Interactive learning products" don't make learning fun or any easier. They're a load of bollocks.

Anyway, Physics for LC is very frustrating because it is so vague in many places(eg. its pseudo-definition of temperature, its explanation of voltage(especially its failure to make the distinction between potential difference, voltage and voltage drop) etc.).

I agree.
    Alot of LC physics didn't make any sense to me because it was quite vague in places. The syllabus seemed to be designed on acceptance rather than full explanation, it wasn't until I went to college and got a hand on "University Physics" that filled in some of the gaps for me.
    I actually did better in physics in college than I did in higher LC Physics because of this.
    I think its more of a flaw in the way the syllabus is designed for this particular subject.
    Physics doesn't need to be fun, just presented correctly and in its entirety.
    Thats where the problem lies in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Yeah a lot of the parts in physics go over my head lol, need to study it more. Potential Difference is the same as voltage right?

bug wrote:
    I agree.
    Alot of LC physics didn't make any sense to me because it was quite vague in places. The syllabus seemed to be designed on acceptance rather than full explanation, it wasn't until I went to college and got a hand on "University Physics" that filled in some of the gaps for me.
    I actually did better in physics in college than I did in higher LC Physics because of this.
    I think its more of a flaw in the way the syllabus is designed for this particular subject.
    Physics doesn't need to be fun, just presented correctly and in its entirety.
    Thats where the problem lies in my opinion.
    You are right about the flaw in the syllabus, and this is why I chose it as an area to concentrate on. I want to try and tackle this area of physics through your informed input from your real experience which you have given.

Like you said it does need to be put across in a real way, I as a student understand that.
    I appreciate that and that will have an influence on the project, by the way the project is about producing something of real value not just another e learning piece of crap, that is why I am looking for real opinions and votes on the poll.
    Thankyou for helping, every opinion counts.

JC 2K3 wrote:

That may be true, and that is the reason why I undertook this project, to address the difference between the non working products and the reality. Maybe I can produce something which will work effectively for you guys based on your input.

I'm out now, thanks for the input and the poll votes can't say thank you enough to all. Cheers lads.

Advertisement