Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Knocking sound from rear of car!

Options
  • 08-05-2007 3:51pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭

Strange but similar to a recent thread :D

Anyway I have a 06 Focus and recently I have noticed a knocking noise from the rear of the car. seems to be coming from the rear passenger side wheel area.
    It happens now and again, mainly just after taking off, going over a speed bump (sometimes) and cornering (the odd time).

And the handling is a bit off @ speed on the motorway, kinda feels like it's windy but there was no wind!

It does sound like something loose in the boot, but all is secure. and I thought it may have been the exhaust, but that's solid too.
    I have it booked in to get looked @ but am bemused as to what it may be and what to look out for

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Mik

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

exhaust loose?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

nope - checked that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

sorry speaking of noises and 06 focuses (foci?) have you notices a slight creaking in the electric front windows if theyre up as far as they can go? easily remedied by tapping the 'down' for them both, but a touch annoying none-the-less.

Wossack wrote:
    sorry speaking of noises and 06 focuses (foci?) have you notices a slight creaking in the electric front windows if theyre up as far as they can go? easily remedied by tapping the 'down' for them both, but a touch annoying none-the-less.

Nope - have not got that noise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Someone trying to get out of the boot?? :D

• Advertisement

nope I let her out and the noise was still there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carlimited

Wossack wrote:

Well, it IS a Ford product after all - could you expect anything "less"??? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I had the same noise coming from my 01 Focus - brough it in to be looked at and apparently it was the heat shield (please note I know nothing about cars! so this meant nothing to me).
    The replaced the screws attaching it to the car.
    The noise went for about 3 weeks and now its back again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

Had the same problem with my car a few months ago and it turned out to be a wheel bushing. Shouldnt cost too much to replace if it is the case.

Carlimited wrote:
    Well, it IS a Ford product after all - could you expect anything "less"??? :rolleyes:
    The ford focus is one of the most reliable cars in its class since it was introduced. I don't know what you are basing that statement on.
    Practical wrote:
    Had the same problem with my car a few months ago and it turned out to be a wheel bushing. Shouldnt cost too much to replace if it is the case.:

I would have said the same but its a 06 car! They couldn't have worn that quickly??
    It could be replaced under warrenty I'm not sure if ford count it a wearable part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

mik_da_man wrote:
    Strange but similar to a recent thread :D

Anyway I have a 06 Focus and recently I have noticed a knocking noise from the rear of the car. seems to be coming from the rear passenger side wheel area.
    It happens now and again, mainly just after taking off, going over a speed bump (sometimes) and cornering (the odd time).

And the handling is a bit off @ speed on the motorway, kinda feels like it's windy but there was no wind!

It does sound like something loose in the boot, but all is secure. and I thought it may have been the exhaust, but that's solid too.
    I have it booked in to get looked @ but am bemused as to what it may be and what to look out for

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Mik

Have you alloys or hubcaps ? if hubcaps please take them off and check for loose studs knocking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

drop-links maybe....

Thanks for the suggestions.
    It could be a bushing all right, but as it's not 1 yet that would be strange.
    No issue with hub caps as I have Alloys on it.
    Heat shield is possible too?..

Or drop links?

Lots to think about!!

Well It's under warranty so I'm hopeful that it will be covered

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Loose spare wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭BarryM3

Loose wheel itself.

Nope on the wheels - all are secure, including spare.

I think it's prob some suspension related problem :(

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭BarryM3

Could be a top mount from the suspension.... is it noticeable on bumpy roads mostly? Having said that it shouldn't be gone on a 06.

Probably something simple enough but the handling inbalance is strange

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

One of the suspension bushes perhaps?

Shouldn't happen on a 1 year old car though.

BarryM3 wrote:
    Could be a top mount from the suspension.... is it noticeable on bumpy roads mostly? Having said that it shouldn't be gone on a 06.

Probably something simple enough but the handling inbalance is strange

Yep it can be more noticeable on bumpy roads - like the cobbles in Dun Laoghaire.
    But the strange thing is I can hear it when taking off. and reversing.
    Can sound like a Knock or Ding. like something that was under a bit of pressure got released and hit a hollow metal part.
    Hard noise to describe really :D
    Cant wait to see the mechanics face when I try describing this Tmrw

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Hi Mik
    Quote TSB 64/06 to the dealer as a similar issue is found on ST's. He can start from there.

Sneaky

• Advertisement

Cheers Sneaky - will do.

Any more info on what it is?

Was just having a look on some Ford forums and a few guys have reported this noise too.
    One of the rear shocks went on the car - all cars under 1 yr and mainly ST's

Not good :(

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Could be the shocks or it could be the flange on the driveshaft. Either way its covered by warranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

mik_da_man wrote:
    Was just having a look on some Ford forums and a few guys have reported this noise too.
    One of the rear shocks went on the car - all cars under 1 yr and mainly ST's

Not good :(

Mik

I am having a similar issue with one of our cars, 06 Ford Focus Estate (Used as an Emergency Vehicle) what is an ST, how can i see if my car is suffering similar issue???

Shane

boomer_ie wrote:
    I am having a similar issue with one of our cars, 06 Ford Focus Estate (Used as an Emergency Vehicle) what is an ST, how can i see if my car is suffering similar issue???

Shane

the ST is the quick Focus, similar (but faster;) ) to the GTI Golf.

The best was to get this checked is to bring it back to the Garage, if it's 06 then it's still under warranty as sneakyST said

Advertisement