Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thugs reprimanded

• 08-05-2007 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

The 2 Michael's from the weekend have been charged with the FA for violent conduct this afternoon.

Michael Ball for his stamp on Ronaldo and Michael Brown for his headbutt on Alonso (Not his 1st act of thuggery this season may I add).

Now for the punishment.....the FA will prob do FA as its the end of the season and they arent exactly household names so dont have to be seen to make an example of them so I reckon they both get 3 match bans or some other similar cop out :(

Ball: His offence was in the 1st 2mins of the game so absolutely no excuse what so ever...BURN HIM lol !

Brown: Has creamed 2 lads out of it already this season with late tackles so he should be getting a nice long ban and a chunky fine imo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Both scumbags IMO. Lengthy suspension and substantial fine would be sufficient. We shall see what the punishment ends up being.....

edit:

Just found a video of Michael Brown's act of thuggery against Ryan Giggs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6jEDoI5hRs

Absolute knacker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

yeah two mins into the game..... what a scumbag. he cant even use the excuse a certain cavan player used last year(or perhaps the year before) when stamping on a cavan player, he claimed it was an involuntary action caused by cramp, as it was late in a game and he had returned from america after a week playing handball. mouriniho could hardly come up with a better excuse!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Their respective bans shouldn't come into effect until the start of next season. Although I'm not sure if the FA have the power to do this. If a bans given does it have to start immediately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

BBC says they miss the last game as well as the first two of next season. they bans kick in after thursdays hearing.

i didn't see Brown's challenge on Giggs before :eek: . potentially career ending, hacks like that should receive bans by the month, not game! horrendous! stupid FIFA rule about not being able to overturn a refs decision... bullplop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

agree 2 scumbags , also if ronaldo had gone down like ball for his supposed "penalty" , there would be an outcry , a thuggish cheat --
    but i don't think he is as bad as that other lout Brown , who is just pure nasty , didn't like the way Sanchez defended him either , it was a nasty cowardly head butt , which i doubt he would have tried out on Viduka or John Terry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Another prime example of Brown's sheer class as a man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4n3Nutns0I

How much longer is he going to be allowed to do this s**t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

He should be banned for life imo. He continues to do that dangerous **** and someones career will be ended prematurely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Thug, scumbag, knacker...lot of rather questionable terms being used there chaps, might want to pull in your horns.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Jesus the Michael Brown is one nasty piece of work. I remember the Giggs incident but those other two were brutal also. He need to be severely punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Mossy Monk wrote:
    He should be banned for life imo. He continues to do that dangerous **** and someones career will be ended prematurely.

I agree , there should be no place in football for a player that regularly does the stuff he does. His manager must take some of the blame too, he is best positioned to discourage him from making those assaults.

• Advertisement

Thug, scumbag, knacker...lot of rather questionable terms being used there chaps, might want to pull in your horns.

What do you call people who headbutt, stamp on fellow players , and make leg breaking tackles -- i think its appropriate -- at least Ball has appologised -- but surprise surprise brown remains silent , insisting his forehead accidently ran into Alonso's mouth -- pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

hes a thug, thats all you can say about him. very average player aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

thebaz wrote:
    What do you call people who headbutt?

On the soccer forum? Usually something that's not gonna get me a week off posting.

Bit of friendly advice, that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

bloody all out of order tackles there but i agree with the OP,three match ban and fcuk all else done

On the soccer forum? Usually something that's not gonna get me a week off posting.

Considering we have seen users banned for calling somone an idiot I feel it's excellent advice.

PS.

Ronan , when the cats away,;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

hmmm... what i'd like to see is the PFA kick players who make repeated challenges like that out of them. might be a bit of a better incentive to curb those challenges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

You know, people constantly go on about diving, and players exagerrating injuries - harping on about how football used to be a man's game and whatnot - but malicious challenges like these are the bigger problem. Although it clearly isn't evident on this thread, or indeed on these boards - to everyone's credit, I do think there is somewhat of a culture amongst some football fans that applauds play like this, regrets that the game has moved on from the excessively physical game it once was to accommodate flair and perhaps secretly approves of 'ard English players lashing out at foreigners.

Players like Ronaldo, Robben, Drogba etc get booed everywhere they go for a perceived tendency to dive (and to some extent I can sympathise) but how the likes of Michael Brown, Ben Thatcher and even Roy Keane can go up and down the grounds of the league without anything like the same level of antipathy being shown towards them boggles me. Potential career-ending tackles are endlessly more dispicable than any feigned injury or dive.

thanks -- ;) -- i picked you up wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The Muppet wrote:
    I agree , there should be no place in football for a player that regularly does the stuff he does. His manager must take some of the blame too, he is best positioned to discourage him from making those assaults.

The man himself.
    Fulham caretaker manager Lawrie Sanchez responded: "I asked Browny what happened at half-time and he said they ran into each other, there was no headbutt.

"I believe my captain if he says that. He did say they clashed heads but added there was no intent."

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Thatcher vs. Mendes.....and he gets a yellow??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNCpHGVPJ-w

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

I think the use of "scumbag" and "thug" to describe Ball is a bit OTT. The guy has never been sent off in his carrer and has apologised for the tackle, he doesn't have a "history" (unlike a certain teamate of his) of violence. Derbies make players do crazy things, Keanes assault on Haaland and Stevie Gerrards horror two footed lunge on Gary Naismith are two that spring to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

While I think Brown has a history of these things, and I hope he gets punished, Ball used to be quite a nice player, and I think this is out of character. I'm not quite sure what was going through his mind at the time, but I'm pretty sure he regrets it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Juan Pablo wrote:
    I think the use of "scumbag" and "thug" to describe Ball is a bit OTT. The guy has never been sent off in his carrer and has apologised for the tackle, he doesn't have a "history" (unlike a certain teamate of his) of violence. Derbies make players do crazy things, Keanes assault on Haaland and Stevie Gerrards horror two footed lunge on Gary Naismith are two that spring to mind.

Call me cynical but I think he apologised because A) Club officials told him to and B) It would be taken into consideration when his punishment is dished out.

He seemed pretty serious when he did it :(

Juan Pablo wrote:

It wasn't a tackle, the ball was long gone . It was an unprovoked assault, he deliberately stamped on a player who was lying on the ground, He could easily have caused serious injury or worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In fairness, certain players seem to get forgiven for things because they are deemed "legends" or just too goo to be scumbags. Cantona for instance has a catalogue of incidents to put both these guys to shame. The Zidane incident in the WC was passed off because it was Zidane. If a mediocre PL player did exactly what Zidane did they'd be calling for his head.

Doesnt excuse what the playes did, but lets keep perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

As predicted :mad:

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2118774,00.html

So you can now loaf someone and get a holiday for 3 matches ! Didnt Duncan Ferguson do time for loafing a lad some years back....

Stekelly wrote:
    In fairness, certain players seem to get forgiven for things because they are deemed "legends" or just too goo to be scumbags. Cantona for instance has a catalogue of incidents to put both these guys to shame. The Zidane incident in the WC was passed off because it was Zidane. If a mediocre PL player did exactly what Zidane did they'd be calling for his head.

Cantona and Zidane were tempermental geniuses , Ball and Brown are just tempermental -- i certainly wouldn't miss them if they got proper banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Can't believe Michael Brown denied the charge when anyone with two eyes can see what he did. He really has a history of these things, tackle against Giggs at the start of the season, and on Sean Davis at the end of last season. I'm pretty sure there is another one or two I can't think of as well.

Michael Ball, while I agree with PHB above that it was out of character, still doesn't excuse it. It was horrendous, and worse than Brown's headbutt imo.

thebaz wrote:
    Cantona and Zidane were tempermental geniuses , Ball and Brown are just tempermental -- i certainly wouldn't miss them if they got proper banned

You just proved my point. Cantona had various incidents one of which included hitting a team mate across the head wiht the studs of his boots. Zidane had his incident which everone knows about. The only thing separating the two is that Zidanes seemed to be reasonably one off (excluding some in game tackles) Temperamental genius my hole, inexcusable bahaviour is inexcusable regardless who it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Can't believe Michael Brown denied the charge when anyone with two eyes can see what he did.
    All the lads on Goals on Sunday were defending him saying Alonso's nose was busted when he walked straight into Brown, Brown's head then goes down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Juan Pablo wrote:

I'm inclined to think that even if a bad tackle is out of character, just give a normal punihsment. Everybody gets a rush of blood once or twice. For repeat offenders like brown or thatcher, severe punishment is needed.
    Stekelly wrote:

Ste, Cantona had a - mostly justified - reputation with referees and I don't recall him ever getting him away with much, either from the FA or the media.

Stekelly wrote:
    You just proved my point. Cantona had various incidents one of which included hitting a team mate across the head wiht the studs of his boots. Zidane had his incident which everone knows about. The only thing separating the two is that Zidanes seemed to be reasonably one off (excluding some in game tackles) Temperamental genius my hole, inexcusable bahaviour is inexcusable regardless who it is.

what point ?

i'd pay good money to see zidane and cantona perform -- if your happy watching the likes of brown and ball , so be it

stovelid wrote:
    Ste, Cantona had a - mostly justified - reputation with referees and I don't recall him ever getting him away with much, either from the FA or the media.

I was more talking about general public opinion. TheBaz being case in point. Justifying the things certain players do because they are such good players. Double standards. Being a scumbag or doing scumbag things doesnt go hand in hand with being a mediocre player. It really is a case of one ruile for us...etc
    thebaz wrote:
    what point ?

i'd pay good money to see zidane and cantona perform -- if your happy watching the likes of brown and ball , so be it

Where did I say anything like that at all? As above, being a good player doesnt absolve you from guilt. Thefact is if Brown had the list of offences Cantona had, people here would be outraged that he wasnt not only banned from football for life but imprisoned.

Stekelly wrote:

Where did I say anything like that at all? As above, being a good player doesnt absolve you from guilt. Thefact is if Brown had the list of offences Cantona had, people here would be outraged that he wasnt not only banned from football for life but imprisoned.

as i said i enjoyed watching cantona and zidane , your lucky you can watch your heroes next season , following there petty suspensions --

thebaz wrote:
    as i said i enjoyed watching cantona and zidane , your lucky you can watch your heroes next season , following there petty suspensions --

What are you on about? Seriously, you've completely lost me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement