Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharpen Image

• 08-05-2007 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I've attached an image I'm looking to sharpen. I've got Photoshop CS2. I know there's a sharpen tool but it ends up looking a mess. Is there a surefire way to sharpen things? I need to blow the picture up to twice it's current size. When I do that, it looks really grainy. Can I get around this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

you cant really with great results. best way to do it would be the trace tool in illustrator, then scale it up when its a shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BobbyFowler

Cheers Heggie
    Is there a similar tool to the trace tool, in Photoshop? (don't have illustrator)
    Bobby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Yeah that shape could easily be traced using the "Pen" tool , hold on a minute and I'll find you a suitable tutorial...
    /EDIT This should just about cover all you need to know about the pen tool http://www.melissaclifton.com/tutorial-pentool.html but it's a fairly user friendly tool so you could pick it up handy enough just with a bit of tinkering about with it. If not just google Photoshop pen tutorial and the results will be endless.

{1000th post Wh00t}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

nope, had a quick go in illustrator for you (its not perfect but might do?) its on an a4 sheet

edit: by trace I meant the automatic 'live trace' in illustrator. you could of course redraw it in photoshop yes.

Cheers for that lads
    + thanks for that PDF Heggie!
    I'll have a look at that Tutorial (I actually used one of her other tutorials to create something I used as an Xmas Present for the sis) in the morning & get used to the Pen Tool.
    Bobby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Quick attempt:

Well if everyone is having a go , why not (paths still included)...

http://www.psdnow.com/download/file/QwsgHDcJbB/

I'm going to give that Pen Tutorial a go now. Out of interest, how long does it take to fix something like this up. It comes up a lot that people supply logos that don't look great when blown up. If it's a 10 minute fix, that would be grand. Don't want to waste too much more time than that.

Only a few minutes tbh , but if you are dealing with a professional company you would have got that graphic as a vector which can be infinitely enlarged without any loss in detail

Yep, normally the guys send me on decent resolution graphics. Other times I get some low quality stuff or hear that they haven't dealt with the design company in ages. Other times I'm working off a letterhead. I'll get to grips with the pen tool (ended up watching a dvd after that last post) tomorrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement