Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a thread ban, not be fairer than a 'forum ban' ?..

Options
  • 08-05-2007 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Just a suggestion, but a ban for a period from a particular thread, so that the member could still view and participate in other 'undisputed' threads seem's to me as though it might offer a nicer and more appropriate solution than the current 'all or nothing ban' :confused: .

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

depends on the offence I guess!?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A user/member cant be banned from a thread only. The nearest you can get to that is to have the thread locked and then everyone suffers.

Even if it were possible (and believe me its not) to ban only from a thread its not a good idea in any event. If a user was banned in that fashion it would be most likely be for his/her comments which i find a lot of the time are in the heat of the moment. If the user is then locked out of the thread and the old temper is still red hot there is every likelihood that the user would simply start another thread on the same topic which would end up with the user getting a longer ban - not to mention the extra work for us poor mods.

I can see where you are coming from with this Paddy but at the end of the day if a user is banned then the ban would have no impact and serve no purpose if the user could continue posting in the same forum.

A lot of users tend to stick with posting mostly in one or two forums only. A ban is a way of punishing the user so a forum ban is fair enough punishment.

Just for the benefit of anyone thats fairly new here. Myself and nanook have the power to ban users (when merited) from the North West forum only and we determine the length of the ban. The only other power we have is to edit posts and lock threads. If a user is site banned then that is done by one of the supermods or on the very rare occasion by one of the admins.

There is an updated charter on the front page if people care to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Paddy20 wrote:
    Just a suggestion, but a ban for a period from a particular thread, so that the member could still view and participate in other 'undisputed' threads seem's to me as though it might offer a nicer and more appropriate solution than the current 'all or nothing ban' :confused: .

P.

I suppose it goes back to the age old test of justice. There are laws in the world that determine what the penalty should be for the crime. Unfortunately both myself and Muffler are the unfortunate judges here and I think we have been fair in the past with bannings and what not. My policey has always been that if you break the law you get punished.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A thread banning would not be a sufficient deterrent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

nanook wrote:
    I suppose it goes back to the age old test of justice. There are laws in the world that determine what the penalty should be for the crime. Unfortunately both myself and Muffler are the unfortunate judges here and I think we have been fair in the past with bannings and what not. My policey has always been that if you break the law you get punished.

Re discipline. So what happens if a moderator has a hissy fit! Do you give each other the silent treatment? Is there some type of moderator reform school? Or a 12 step program for those with obsessive compulsive tendencies toward dressing up as a woman?! :D

• Advertisement

I will never disclose my affairs with nanook ;)

muffler wrote:
    I will never disclose my affairs with nanook ;)

there is no affair going on here, someone tell him i am not talking to him

nahhh

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Nanook and muffler.

Get a room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

smashey wrote:
    Nanook and muffler.

Get a room.

Hey, this is becoming really enjoyable :D

God help me, but where do I get these crazy thread idea's from :confused:

P. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

smashey wrote:
    Nanook and muffler.

Get a room.

And when you do can you let paddy know the number?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

You are all going off topic, is a ban not in order.:D

fair point magnumlady, guys back to topic

magnumlady wrote:
    You are all going off topic, is a ban not in order.:D
    Quite right too magnumlady. Im just baiting them here so as I can get them all to go so far off topic that i can then red card them :D . Its like the old saying... give them enough rope!!

Right you lot, get back to the topic at hand and this is not a joke this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

No rooms at the inn then? :D

Anyway, back on topic. A thread ban would serve no purpose as the person who is banned would most likely start another thread in the same forum and maybe even spam the forum. That's why when they get banned, feedback is the place to go.

Advertisement