Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flop Of The Season.

• 08-05-2007 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, meant to put this all in the one thread, if a mod sees fit maybe they could merge it?

Anyway in contrast to the find of the season, flop of the season? Gotta be the two Chelsea boys Ballack and Shevchenko, £130K a week for one and £30 million for the other...... For two supposedly world class players they were muck. Henry was pretty ****e this season too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Shevchenko by a mile. Four Premiership goals for £30million is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

No doubt about it. Sheva. What a complete and utter waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

There's gonna be a lot of agreeing in this thread, definitely Ballack and Sheva.
    Bit harsh on Henry considering he's been injured so much and still has 10 goals in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I think we should discuss who the 3rd biggest flop of the season was because the 2 chelsea are way out in front on this.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,338 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well the biggest managerial flop was definitely Denis Wise. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Ballack has ben pretty good actually, I wouldn't have minded him in my team this season, Shev was much much worse.

That said, Boularhouz was even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Ian Dowie wasn't too hot at Charlton --
    and some of West Hams purchases were a bit suspect Quashie, Upson to name two.

Comeback of the season would go to Jonathan Stead of Sheffield United , i don't think he would have got into our local team before he went to Sheffield.

The biggest flop for the past 2 years for me has been James Beattie , please someone take him away from Goodison.

wise is defo the biggest flop he is just terrible i really dislike that man:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

thebaz wrote:
    some of West Hams purchases were a bit suspect Quashie, Upson to name two..

Bit harsh on Upson, he got injured ,what 40 mins into his first game? Hardly a flop. Just unlucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Perhaps we should split this thread into two, one for Chelsea flops and another for other teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

thebaz wrote:
    Comeback of the season would go to Jonathan Stead of Sheffield United , i don't think he would have got into our local team before he went to Sheffield.
    Team performance of the season has to go to Sunderland. From bottom of the table to Champions, what a turnaround.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

How can anyone other than Sheva win this accolade?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

zaph wrote:
    Well the biggest managerial flop was definitely Denis Wise. :(

Agreed and Kevin Nicholls was the biggest flop as player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Baptista - utter shíte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Savman wrote:
    How can anyone other than Sheva win this accolade?
    And seeing as it wasn't even the manager that bought him I'd be quite worried if I was a Chelsea fan.

Rumour has it that Roman is gonna try and sign Maradonna for next season.......You heard it here first!

BaZmO* wrote:
    And seeing as it wasn't even the manager that bought him I'd be quite worried if I was a Chelsea fan.

Rumour has it that Roman is gonna try and sign Maradonna for next season.......You heard it here first!

I think ya heard it wrong it's actually Madonna.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Shevchenko by a long way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Baptista - utter shíte

Wasn't he originally sought after as a replacement for Vieira? :eek:
    And for something like £14 Million too.......
    To think Arsenal had the chance to buy Mickey Carrick for £4 ish million around that time.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Bellamy was a bit of a flop for the Pool...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

redzerdrog wrote:
    I think ya heard it wrong it's actually Madonna.........
    lol. yeah I think you're right. Probably do a better job too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think Shev + Ballack are the obvious two. In regards to the team I support, Liverpool - Gonzalez has been a massive disappointment. Apart from from being really quick he has been terrible. Ive watched every Liverpool game this season and could most likely count the amount of times he has beaten a player combined with the amount of shots on target on one hand!

People say hes young...he's 22 and hasn't shown any of the ability that we were lead to expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

In fairness though he is Chilean and it'll take some time for his continental game to adapt to the pace and rigours of Preiership football, he's got pace (that's for certain), but that's all he's shown - maybe he's hyped, only time will tell if he's a good winger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Maybe we should do it for our own teams.

I'd have to say Petrov, although I believe he will be excellent next season and is starting to find his feet, he has been anonymous for many games this season.
    Everyone else has been great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Shev by a country mile. Couldn't go to a more deserving chap either. Traitorous, money-grabbing... so and so.

From "my team" POV - Bellamy, Gonzo. Not a new signing but Alonso's been pretty sh*t all season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Shev and Baptista have both been pretty awful, but you have to remember Mourinhio didn't want Shev and turned the team against him, so it's hardly a suprise he hasn't done too well. Baptista has the worst first touch I have ever seen.

From my own team point of view.

last two years no contest : Albert Luque.

This year, Duffer has been a bit dissapointing, I'm going to hope it was just injury related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i actually think Sheva isn't entirely to blame for his poor form. the Milan team was basically built around him, whereas at Chelsea he was expected to slot into an existing structure and play more as a support striker off Drogba at times. hell he's even ended up on the wings at times which makes no sense to me. I feel Mourinho could have done a little more to accomodate him if wanted, at times it seemed he just didn't want Sheva to do well out of spite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PiE wrote:
    Shev by a country mile. Couldn't go to a more deserving chap either. Traitorous, money-grabbing... so and so.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

:confused:

i think he was more whipped by the other half into moving to england than anything else. whaaap-pow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Whoever said James Beattie that's a good call. He's been a major flop at Everton.

Sheva and Ballack were always going to be obvious choices, but what about John Obi Mikel? For a lad that was the subject of so much hype with United and Chelsea fighting over him I don't really see what all the fuss was about?

Duff has been a flop at Newcastle also. Forever injured.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Shevchenko, obviously. Worst transfer deal ever? Maybe he'll come good next season... I think Ballack's been ok.

Aside from that, there haven't been too many disasters. Baptista has proved himself pretty crap. Boulahrouz is perhaps the worst player in the history of football, I could blindfold my cat and he'd do a better job. Mascherano was looking iffy for a while, but he's come good. Ashley Cole's been poor too. Aside from Chelsea, really, there haven't been many mistakes.

I rember everyone calling Drogba a 24m useless donkey at first.

Got that one wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Very true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Lucas Neill aint been as good since he became a hammer. I know he got injured, but he wasnt injured all the time. I think all the money he is getting now has affected his game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Got that one wrong.

No one got that wrong as he was complete sh!t in his first season, the criticism he got was justified based on his performances. Fair play to him for upping his game this season.

I think I may put money on Shevchenko banging in 30 goals next season! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

GBX wrote:
    Lucas Neill aint been as good since he became a hammer. I know he got injured, but he wasnt injured all the time. I think all the money he is getting now has affected his game

Lucas Neill has always been a massively overrated footballer. They ridiculous hype and wages floating his way will guarantee him being a flop.

• Advertisement

No one got that wrong as he was complete sh!t in his first season, the criticism he got was justified based on his performances. Fair play to him for upping his game this season.

I think I may put money on Shevchenko banging in 30 goals next season! :)

It was mainly in reference to "worst transer ever" queestion. He has been terrible this season, but it often takes foreign players a while to get used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

to be fair to him, Mikel has done much better since he's copped himself on. Has all but displaced Makalele from the starting lineup. I thought he was crap at first too, and an asshole to boot, but he's gotten much better on and off the pitch, apparantly after some stern words, and help from the other african players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

State of his hair! Who'd have thought the Don King look was fashionable, Essien is the same.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink turned down Celtic for Charlton in the summer and proceeded to do feck all bar collect presumably £30K a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Shevchenko is the biggest flop in premiership history, let alone season...

The only other player of such high calibure/reputation failing on such a spectacular level in the premiership that I can think of is veron.

But he was approx 12 million quid cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

biggest flop? eh, i was wit this girl a cupla months ago and eh....oh wait, football?

Richardson, Rossi, Stokes? Theres a few alright. Going by previous seasons/clubs, theres a few who you'd have tipped for better success this season.

Oh, anybody mention Stan? or is this the wrong thread for that? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

Nick wrote:
    Shevchenko is the biggest flop in premiership history, let alone season...

The only other player of such high calibure/reputation failing on such a spectacular level in the premiership that I can think of is veron.

But he was approx 12 million quid cheaper.

Luque I know its his second season of ****ness but still Newcastle could have transfered his wages and transfer costs into some £5 notes burned them and heated the homeless of newcastle for a millenia such has been the waste. Veron and Sheva, at least they are decent enough to get some game time but Luque looks and plays like Ali Dia. ie utterly useless and possibly not a real professional soccer player (I ****ing knew it Souness signed both of them!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I am really not sure why so many people go with Ballack. Yes, he didn't have an outstanding season by his own standards, but was mostly decent enough. I think it has more to do with the fact that the whole Chelsea Team didn't really play up to their potential. He scored a few important goals, and put in some decent performances.

I personally feel that they really miss him atm. Since he is injured they didn't win in the PL, and went out in the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Got that one wrong.

yep. I don;t think it;s a coincidence that Drogba is now scoring. When I saw us play at Stamford Bridge this season, Sheva was impressive. His running off the ball made loads of room for Drogba. Sheva has had a bad season, but I think next season he will be scoring for fun.

I think John Obi Mikel has been a flop, as well as anyone ever signed by Newcastle. No disrespect to Newcastle, players always seem to loose form when they go up there.

and the entire West Ham team, there is no way they should be where they are (Except Quashie).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Bernardo Corradi and the "gorgeous greek" Sam Harris. Did their all (aided by their tactically inept manager) to ensure City finished the season with an embarrasing 10 goals scored at home in the league all season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Lucas Neill has always been a massively overrated footballer. They ridiculous hype and wages floating his way will guarantee him being a flop.
    Since he came back after injury, West Ham have won six out of eight and kept four clean sheets. Coincidence?
    Nigel Reo-Coker has been a big disappointment this year, and so have Marlon Harewood , Matty Etherington and Paul Knochesky (when they've played)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

yep. I don;t think it;s a coincidence that Drogba is now scoring. When I saw us play at Stamford Bridge this season, Sheva was impressive. His running off the ball made loads of room for Drogba. Sheva has had a bad season, but I think next season he will be scoring for fun.

I think John Obi Mikel has been a flop, as well as anyone ever signed by Newcastle. No disrespect to Newcastle, players always seem to loose form when they go up there.
    ).

I thought Jon Obi was quite good, think he looks very promising for a young lad, very harsh. I also am prepared to give Sheva another season before writing him off, but agree with the sh1te season consensus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Sheva has had a bad season, but I think next season he will be scoring for fun.

Maybe but I dont think it will be in England. Certainly not chelski anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

growler wrote:
    I thought Jon Obi was quite good, think he looks very promising for a young lad, very harsh.

agreed. his games really improved over the latter half of the season. definitly not a flop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

Paul Robinson has had a terrible season IMO. I guess he can't be clarified as a flop exactly as he's not a new signing?

Must be Sheva. He's up there up all time flops, Florin Răducioiu & Winston Bogarde to name just 2. Although Djemba-Djemba and Seba Veron must also get a mention, SAF is only human after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Surprised no ones mentioned graveson at celtic....highest payed player in the clubs history (allegedly)!

• Advertisement
Advertisement