Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A tool to search a shared drive via an internal webpage

Options
  • 08-05-2007 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

At work, we have a drive that we share across the network (as a workgroup). The windows search tool seems to be incredibly slow (well, there are 40k files) and produces many false negatives (particularly when asked to look inside .doc or .xls files).

Are there alternatives that you would recommend?

Google desktop tends to hurt the performance of our low-spec computers and ideally, I'd like an indexing tool to run on the file server that we could access via our intranet. This ideal tool would search the title and contents of MSoffice files, as well as being configurable when it comes to displaying results (e.g. showing network path/snippets/authors etc).

The closest that I've come to this is called Urfin (http://scand.com/products/urfin/), but I don't think that it searches inside the MS office files and it doesn't look like it has a lot of functionality. But it has been recommended on several pages that I've seen and I'd like to know if anyone has used it successfully?

I also came across things like Lanspider & filelocator, but I'd much rather something that I only had to install on the server instead of on every 'puter. Google Mini looks like it has all the bells and whistles, but well, it's too expensive for us. Any ideas, please?

Comments

Advertisement