Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein Ditches Raise in Corp Tax

Options
  • 08-05-2007 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭

Taken form indymedia

Gerry Adams on RTE Radio 1 today - ditched practically the entire list of Sinn Fein tax proposals.
    Gone is the proposal to raise corporation tax to 17.5%.

Adams said that the Sinn Fein Ard Chomhairle had 'trashed around the issues' and decided there was no need at this point to increase the corporation tax take.

Adams further said that Sinn Fein wants to increase supports for small indigenous industry 'to benefit those who have a stake in the country'.

'With the same amount of money we could sort out poverty and take all our children out of prefabs'.

Gone is the proposal to have a new tax band of 50% for incomes over €100,000. Adams claimed this was a pre-budget submission and not a policy.

Adams justified this by saying that Sinn Fein does not intend to increase the tax take on middle income earners.

Sinn Fein now want to reduce corporation tax in the North to the level in the South - so the same tax rate can apply on an all-Ireland basis.

When asked about what changes would he make in the tax system Adams said these things would be decided following the election depending on circumstances. He said 'you would have to cut your cloth'.

However, unlike Fianna Fail, Fine Gael, the PD's and Labour, Adams didn't give any committment to lowering the the tax rates from 20% to 18% or the higher rate from 41% to 40%.

When asked what changes would Sinn Fein make to the tax system for workers - Adams said 'we have no intention of increasing the tax take'.

He continued 'The big issue is how are the taxes that are raised used'

When it was put to him 'we need to know what the rates will be' Adams replied 'we don't need to know' - followed by 'I have answered the question so let's move on'

Adams said Sinn Fein would oppose changes in stamp duty but would increase mortgage relief.

Adams said Sinn Fein would try to use public money in a sensible way.

When asked what specific changes he would make to change the tax system - Adams called for the closing of tax-loopholes that allow millionaires not to pay take and said Sinn Fein would oppose the use of taxpayers money to fund private hospitals.

'This is an election about choices'

When asked what three changes would need to be made in order for Sinn Fein to go into government he said let the people decide first.

When pressed he listed
    - pay the nurses
    - no use of taxpayers money for private health
    - children with special needs would get their entitlement
    - expansion of the peace process and moving towards a united Ireland.

Comments

You are not supposed to post articles here sans comment by the way.
    Anyway.

Cue the hordes of posts shouting u-turn...

So he did a bit of homework since sundays radio one interview.

I must say it's refreshing to have a party that can change so many of it's stances in the space of 48hrs in the middle of an election campaign.

Do they still want to re nationalise aer lingus or has that gone too?

I see they are not ruling out a coalition with fianna Fáil.

Bertie for Taoiseach! anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Tristrame wrote:
    Anyway.

I must say it's refreshing to have a party that can change so many of it's stances in the space of 48hrs in the middle of an election campaign.

I heard Adams on the radio yesterday and he said that Bertie had the right to the presumption of innocence etc etc very conciliatory to FF then attacked McDowell for not ringing Bertie to sort out the issue.

SF are licking the FF arse but it will be a waste of time I reckon as FF are likely to be in the mid 60s and SF will be lucky to get 10 more likely 7 or 8 I would think and the FF gene pool will be smaller no Fox, blaney and maybe no Flynn or Healy Rae so the numbers will not add up.

It is interesting though as it shows the divide between SF in the North and Sf in the south those from the 6 counties like Adams are much more predisposed to FF then those in the South like O'Snodaigh,Crowe, O'Caolaoin and Ferris and Morgan it will be interesting to see what position McDonald will get if she is elected as she is from the FF gene pool and does not have the baggage that the 5 current SF tds have in relation to FF.

Even if SF and FF don't get in a McDonald Dail Leadership would be cosier in building up a relationship in opposition for the next time out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

Its not going to make a difference, nobody wants them:(

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0508/election.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

When are they going to release their manifesto? Every other party have them up on their websites.

Do you support this move, Poblachtach? You were arguing with me just a couple of weeks ago that it was necessary for the working-man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

patsyh wrote:
    Its not going to make a difference, nobody wants them:(

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0508/election.html

But then there was no chance of a FF/PD coalition in 1989 or a FF/Lab in 1992 the interesting thing is that it is on policy grounds that they are now being ruled out and SF have shown they are not particularly attached to any policy the days of Republican principles are long gone in the case of SF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Ibid wrote:
    When are they going to release their manifesto? Every other party have them up on their websites..

If you have no Manifesto makes it harder for other parties to attack what you stand for...

Interesting to hear that after the u-turn SF also said they reserve the right to increase Corporation tax "if they need the revenue"

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Indymedia.
    Now there's a site full of rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

McSpud wrote:
    If you have no Manifesto makes it harder for other parties to attack what you stand for...

Interesting to hear that after the u-turn SF also said they reserve the right to increase Corporation tax "if they need the revenue"

:rolleyes:

It also suggests that you don't stand for anything at all, as has been borne out both by Adams on TV and the subsequent release of their "manifesto".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Tristrame wrote:

It is - but U-turn is what we tend to call that. It also smacks of lack of organisation or maybe a realisation that people do actually want to hear genuine policy proposals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

edited

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I think Ibid knows that, he did start the thread after all. Check the date of the post you quoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Voipjunkie Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tristrame
    Anyway.

I heard Adams on the radio yesterday and he said that Bertie had the right to the presumption of innocence etc etc very conciliatory to FF then attacked McDowell for not ringing Bertie to sort out the issue.

SF are licking the FF arse but it will be a waste of time I reckon as FF are likely to be in the mid 60s and SF will be lucky to get 10 more likely 7 or 8 I would think and the FF gene pool will be smaller no Fox, blaney and maybe no Flynn or Healy Rae so the numbers will not add up.

It is interesting though as it shows the divide between SF in the North and Sf in the south those from the 6 counties like Adams are much more predisposed to FF then those in the South like O'Snodaigh,Crowe, O'Caolaoin and Ferris and Morgan it will be interesting to see what position McDonald will get if she is elected as she is from the FF gene pool and does not have the baggage that the 5 current SF tds have in relation to FF.

Even if SF and FF don't get in a McDonald Dail Leadership would be cosier in building up a relationship in opposition for the next time out.
    08-05-2007 17:32

interesting but hardly surprising , adams can promise the sun the moon and the stars and flirt with the idea of going into coaliiton with just about anyone and thier is still no risk of it all coming back to haunt him
    why , because the man isnt going to be elected in this jurisdiction so his seat aint on the line
    sinn fein are the like the complete opposite of the pd,s and i dont mean in the blindingly obvious ways
    the pd,s are the media and everyone elses whipping boys in this election
    they cant do anything right , where as sinn fein for all thier half baked ideas and vague manifestos combined with thier cliche ridden media friendly soundbites as regards what they can deliver for the country , they seem to get a pass on almost any really harsh critiscism
    no one questions how they are able to be called the countrys richest political party yet bertie and his house money is top story every day

Advertisement