Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Webchat on Broadband - Wedn May 9th 1400

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

niallb wrote:
    Hmmm,
    more television related questions required.
    They seem to like those!
    I want to get the internet on my television. Should I get a Wii or a Playstation 3? Whats ur favorite game? Mine is Killzone i like to pwn n00bs!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 34 daaft

I want to get the internet on my television. Should I get a Wii or a Playstation 3? Whats ur favorite game? Mine is Killzone i like to pwn n00bs!!1

xbox, that's the way to go ;)
    ps you'll still need to pay the license tho, that's for having a 'receiver' ie TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

daaft wrote:
    xbox, that's the way to go ;)
    ps you'll still need to pay the license tho, that's for having a 'receiver' ie TV
    I presume its over. I say presume, because nobody seems to have announced it as such - they just stopped answering questions. Still accepting, it would seem.

Well, anyway that was just more than a little sad...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 daaft

Well, anyway that was just more than a little sad...
    yes, pity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

RTE have lost my respect with their cherry picking of the most harmless questions they could. This is a complete farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

TodayFM are looking to do a better version of this next week on the Last Word, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Sure how many times has he been on the last word and only stayed on for a few minutes and totally diverted from the questions
    matt cooper is fair decent though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

At least Matt asks hard questions. When the minister dodges them, its the same as saying he's failed on the issue to a lot of people as that's what most politicians do when they've failed to achieve something.

I honestly don't know if RTE selected the questions for them or they were picking them out themselves. Hard to tell from reading it. Not one worthwhile question was really asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 impacted

Here are the questions I submitted. They are not very technical but they are my experiences as a consumer.

5 I agree, smart debacle is a good example of poor political ability on behalf of the minister, a poor regulator, and dominant market monopolies. i initially registered with smart in August 2005 awaiting LLU and gave up in Feb 2007 as it still had not happened. thus forcing me into the decision to either do without broadband or pay excessive cost to get the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

damien.m wrote:
    RTE have lost my respect with their cherry picking of the most harmless questions they could. This is a complete farce.

Your questions were certainly excellent but RTE probably doesn't understand most of the issues and feel the listeners understand even less. A shame all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I got to submit as many questions as I liked. I managed to post in what I mentioned earlier, but also ask about why nothing is being done to get broadband in rural Ireland, why ComReg take so long to do anything after a complaint, why Eircom are let control the market and why the government isnt acting on the fact that other BB providers who want to make a difference cant because of Eircom.

None of mine went through. The questions asked were disapointing, and why the hell they let Andrews through or that one about why money is being spent when the internet sucks.

Disapointing. Doubt they would respond to the questions in an email, no? Or take part in a discussion on Boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I guess they were trying to give people who are on both sides of the fence or that would be their logic. People for and against broadband (who is against broadband though?). In the end they wasted the hour and the tv questions were kind of self serving since RTE are well RTE. They can leave those answers up as a FAQ or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Did anyone ask why we can subsidise mobiles for pensioners but not mobile broadband for people living in rural areas with no broadband coverage where it would probably be the cheapest option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 unidentifiable

RTE confirmed there were 8000 hits on the webchat!
    Imagine at least 7000 of those viewers were frustrated, angry & demoralised people looking for broadband and some indication that the "top brass" had a plan of action. The rest were RTE employees asking questions that may affect their future. Probably some pen pushers from the DCMNR/Comreg wondering how Noel was defending their lack of work and imagination for the past 7 years.
    What a joke, best resign ourselves to the long wait for rural broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭stephenjudge

RTÉ have released an Audio recording of the debate in the studio during the web debate. It is available to listen to as a Real Audio Stream from the RTÉ website here.

I have also recorded the stream and uploaded it to the Internet Archive. It can be stream online from the Internet Archive page or downloaded as a Ogg Vorbis or MP3 here.

Or on P2P:
    Ogg Vorbis - [URL="magnet:?xt=urn:bitprint:KFI5E4KKIXGZ52BKLZFPRMXXEZ54USPT.VN75TSLDR6C5ZZH5DXCE2N6PVCFQRH46SNTTNTA&xt=urn:ed2khash:14512398653cd3ea93a8881933351dfc&dn=RTE.ie%20-%20Web%20Debate%20on%20Ireland%27s%20Communications.ogg&xl=37371071"]Magnet[/URL] , [URL="ed2k://%7Cfile%7CRTE.ie%20-%20Web%20Debate%20on%20Ireland%27s%20Communications.ogg%7C37371071%7C14512398653cd3ea93a8881933351dfc%7C/"]ED2K[/URL]
    MP3 - [URL="magnet:?xt=urn:bitprint:TJZMLMDTDW5P4OQUJ2H3NQ53XYAO5T3A.4TFVZGUJR7NRLXVAZT46XYA4O2M6F7LA67IOJTI&xt=urn:ed2khash:1e5cfab8534941d01068c61917541c61&dn=RTE.ie%20%20-%20Web%20Debate%20on%20Ireland%27s%20Communications.mp3&xl=55566336"]Magnet[/URL] , [URL="ed2k://%7Cfile%7CRTE.ie%20%20-%20Web%20Debate%20on%20Ireland%27s%20Communications.mp3%7C55566336%7C1e5cfab8534941d01068c61917541c61%7C/"]ED2K[/URL]

Advertisement