Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards-wide gaming tournament?

Options
  • 08-05-2007 6:09pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Dunno how plausible this is, or whether it has been done in the past, but I was thinking whether or not a big boards game tournament would work. Basically, a bunch of individual game competitions - online and off. Anyone who wants to play in any particular game can put it foward, and if it gets enough support, it can be entered into the tournament roster of game. Basically, would be an excuse for everyone to show off their "uber-cool skillz". The winners would have the eternal satisfaction of being crowned boards king and/or queen of their respective game.

Just a suggestion. Think it could work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Definitely, Great Idea!

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461

Post it there as well, Should get it's own Forum imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Brianb8802

I was thinkin of this before. I saw it on the xbox360-ireland.com site, and thought that would be a very cool addition to the boards.

Check it out here,
    http://www.xbox360-ireland.com/arcade.php

It has loads of games and leaderboards integrated into the forum. It very addictive, trying to get up there in the leaderboards.

You might have to log in or register to see the whole arcade, im not too sure

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Timans wrote:
    Definitely, Great Idea!

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461

Post it there as well, Should get it's own Forum imo.

Posted. Was thinking the same myself - could end up with a lot of threads if it gets going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ShowUsYourXbox

The whole built in forum arcade games/high scores was already done a few years ago. Don't know why it was removed.

The lads on the games forum, also did their own emulator high scores thing, where people posted a screen shot of their high score or fastest lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

In '05 there were indeed a series of High Score challenges, the only one I can find the thread for is this one -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=293333

They were good fun, ran to about 10 challenges I think then interest waned.
    Tried to rekindle interest there a couple of months ago but there was no interest :( so I left it slide again.

We covered a good few games ones I can remember off the top of my head -
    Soul Caliber 2
    Super Smash Brothers Melee
    Super Mario Kart
    Sonic The Hedge Hog
    etc...

Previous Champions include
    Balfa
    Retr0gamer
    Evad_Ihorg
    There were more I cant remember obviously.
    If you check some of those guys sigs I think they may still have links to the threads proclaiming their titles.

Would love to get it going again though ...

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I love to see this up and going again. I just wish there was more interest in shmup high score challenges for the likes of R-type, dodonpachi, Gradius V etc.

Was great fun especially when you thought you were good at a game and got destroyed by someone with god like skills (happened to me on the Metal Slug challenge).

It also made me realise that I really needed to get much better at F-zero GX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Can we do a 'kill 53,594 zombies in dead rising' challenge? cause i already did that :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

0ubliette wrote:
    Can we do a 'kill 53,594 zombies in dead rising' challenge? cause i already did that :D

Some people have too much time on their hands ;)
    Seriously though, it this does get running, it shouldnt just be every achievement challenge we can think of.
    As previously mentioned, the single player challenges should be high score ones - classic games such as Mario Kart, Smash Bros., F Zero, Sonic etc.. New ones could be stuff like Tony Hawks, Guitar Hero (I will actively push this one). Everything would have to be backed up with a screenshot, so youd have to do whatever the challenge was fresh, and in a specific time-frame.
    Online, perhaps team tournaments - all the usual suspects would apply. Halo, GoW, CounterStrike - you know yourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

yep, some gow wouldnt go amiss :)

• Advertisement

Well I would certainly have no problems organising it or helping to organise it again if there were enough people interested. IIRC the game selection process I used for each week was a thread for people to nominate the game for the next week, highest number of votes was the challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Would be interested in this if there's some games for the 360.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A screenshot doesn't need to be mandatory. There isn't exactly a prize going for the best scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I bagsie Retr0gamer for any team comps..

:p

Retr0gamer wrote:
    A screenshot doesn't need to be mandatory. There isn't exactly a prize going for the best scores.

Ah.. but the winner of each tournament gets one of these babies:
    200px-Irish_penny_(decimal_coin).png

Thats right... One Shiny Penny!
    P&P extra

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Yeah sounds good - im up for some 360 gaming anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SeamyH

Fifa 07 Tourny (ps2 or PC) !!

This would be a great idea :-)

Hey mods, could we get this stickied?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'm up for it and I know other guys on boards that would like to give it a shot as well.

A few tips:

* definitely go for screenshots as proof.

* provide an equal spread of challenges for every console, PC, handhelds. Could get MAME and retro challenges going too. That way, no-one will feel left out.

I'm up for it and I know other guys on boards that would like to give it a shot as well.

A few tips:

* definitely go for screenshots as proof.

* provide an equal spread of challenges for every console, PC, handhelds. Could get MAME and retro challenges going too. That way, no-one will feel left out.

I personally felt that the retro challenges were the best ones the last time around, brought up a nice feel of nostalgia plus with the large variety of emulators available nowadays everyone was able to play :)

Screenshots although a good idea could put people off playing, maybe not so much on PC games where it can be simple to get a screenshot, but on console games, plus on some games there literaly seconds to get a good screenshot of you score while its fresh before it vanishes off to some high score table with no date so you dont know who got it !

Just thinking out loud like.

• Advertisement

Just felt this deserved the one bump - it fell off the main page fairly fast :(

c - 13 wrote:
    Just felt this deserved the one bump - it fell off the main page fairly fast :(

Yeah was just thinking that myself. Anyone who hasn't supported the forum, pop over and +1 if you have the time :)
    While we're waiting, anyone up for a trial run? Maybe pick one game and see if there is enough support?

Well even if theres no supposrt for a forum for this we could always run it in this forum again ?

I'm up for one about now anyway -
    Multi console game / Emulator ?
    What Game ?

c - 13 wrote:

*watches it bouncing across thread*
    Anyway, anyone have any suggestions for what game and/or games we should use for this trial run? Maybe one emulator based one and one other (I know myself and many other users are likely non-emulators)?

Any more progress on this?

Im still up for getting a trial run going, but last time it was mentioned there were all sorts of mothballs bouncing across the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Im still up for getting a trial run going, but last time it was mentioned there were all sorts of mothballs bouncing across the thread.
    Like a western then:D:D:D I would think it would be good to get this tournament up and running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

yeah, i'm liking this, but i think it probably should be limited to retro challenges, so that more people can play.
    While a <insert 360/wii/ps3 game here> tourney would appeal to a small section that have that console, and the game, with emulators, retro challenges would be open to far more people.

Unless you want to run 3 console challenges in tandem and a retro one as well, so it'll cover all the bases (though the work involved would be a hell of alot more)

anyway, great idea.

• Advertisement

I always had said it should be a mix between emulator / online / console challenges, as only a smaller number likely use emulators.
    If anyone has suggestions for a game or two to get it going, they are more than welcome :)

Advertisement