Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sand/Cement calculations...

Options
  • 08-05-2007 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Wierd one I guess, but I have to lay three bases in the garden & I'm not sure how much sand/cement to order :rolleyes:

Two of the bases will support greenhouses & the other one is for a bbq area.

I want them all to be 5 or 6" thick max as they'll take no real weight - does that sound ok ??

two of the bases will be 6ft x 6 ft & the other one will be 12ft x 8ft.

Anyone give a rough estomate of what I'd need ??

cheers

Andi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Andip wrote:
    Wierd one I guess, but I have to lay three bases in the garden & I'm not sure how much sand/cement to order :rolleyes:

Two of the bases will support greenhouses & the other one is for a bbq area.

I want them all to be 5 or 6" thick max as they'll take no real weight - does that sound ok ??

two of the bases will be 6ft x 6 ft & the other one will be 12ft x 8ft.

Anyone give a rough estomate of what I'd need ??

cheers

Andi

Assuming you intend ordering ready mix concrete. You need to calculate the volume required.

You will also need to prepare a sub base ie hardcore base under concrete. 6" is plenty big as a base for green house. Assuming 6" (150mm) depth, you will require:

6'x 6' = 1.8 x 1.8x 0.15= 0.3 cubic metres
    12' x 8' = 3.6 x 2.4 x 0.15 = 1.3 cubic metres

The two bases in example require approx 1.6 cubic m. You will probably order 2 with the extra bit for your BBQ base. You can work out the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

You could have a look through this link for a good Pad design .... note the steel ..... I would certainly use that ......

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=LawnGarden/concpad.html#2

The mix I would use is known as a 1 .... 2 1/2 ... 4 to give a final volume of 5

In English this means for one (1) cubic mtr of concrete you need the following ....

12 bags cement (25kg bags)

0.5 cubic mtrs damp sand

0.8 cubic mtrs coarse agregate (chips)

the 6 x 6 base requires 0.5 cubic mtrs

the 12 x 8 requires 1.33 cubic mtrs

call it 2 cubic mtrs total so just double the above qtys of material ....

i.e.

24 bags cement (25kg bags)

1.0 cubic mtrs damp sand

1.6 cubic mtrs coarse agregate (chips)

that's it !!!!! ......

Advertisement