Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

115 cm Dish for €49

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

I'd call them first, last time I called I was told that Corksat was no more, and I called round to the shop to find them packing u.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Brian h

Thanks for that Bogger77.

I'll try that tomorrow and post back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You'd want a 36V motor or actuator for 115cm, not a regular Diseqc LNB powered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Corksat is indeed no more but is restarting soon I believe by one of the employees, it was a partnership I think which dissolved. Don't buy those dishes as my 60cm one was pure rubbish and didn't hold up to wind at all constantly needing adjustment so go elsewhere for decent brand name stuff. Their other stuff is good but don't think the shop is open yet.

Thanks for those replies lads. Rang the Corksat number this morning but no reply.

I would rather go with a Disecq motor if possible. What is the maximum dish size I can use with it and can anyone recommend a reasonably priced one and where to buy?

All the best,

Brian h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I was in their shop about 2 weeks ago and they were open for business. Different guy, he said that they took over from the corksat crowd, and had taken him on for a while but that it hadn't worked out and he was doing it now. Got a very good deal for a 65 sky-type dish, sturdy looking wall mount bracketing and lnb for 60 yoyos. Now I just to install it ...

Brian h wrote:
    T
    I would rather go with a Disecq motor if possible. What is the maximum dish size I can use with it

80cm in exposed situation or a lightweight 110cm Triax if you are on a VERY sheltered situation for dish.

Motek motor.

Read the suppliers sticky.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I personally favour the Triax TD-series dishes. Very robust, and resiliant to rust.

I'm going to start by getting the motor and trying it out on my existing 80cm dish and also replace the RG59 cable with CT100.

I'll see how that goes before checking out my dish options.

Good idea. Make sure your receiver does USALS (enter your lat & Long) as this makes motor alignment simpler. 80cm dish also easier to align. If the setup is 100% aligned properly then it is a mater of putiing larger dish "square" on motor arm and fine tune its elevation. The motor should not need touched.

• Advertisement

watty wrote:
    80cm in exposed situation or a lightweight 110cm Triax if you are on a VERY sheltered situation for dish.

Motek motor.

Read the suppliers sticky.
    Watty,
    A question about "sheltered" dish.
    I'm guessing that if dish is on a south facing wall, but open to east and west. the possible wind load on the dish is pretty high.
    I'm thinking of setting up a dish (1.0 on diseq motor) on the back wall of my shed, but i'm afraid the position is too open,as there's not trees or walls to dampen the winds from 50E to 60W.
    Do you reckon I'll have to go smaller?
    Would I be mad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Mesh dishes can reduce windload.

If you have a discreetly hidden shed wall you can also consider 3 dishes to do what one motorised would do, give each dish about 15 degrees of sky of its own and 3 x 80cm would do from 15w to 30e . Its a tad ugly but simple .

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Mesh dishes can reduce windload.

If you have a discreetly hidden shed wall you can also consider 3 dishes to do what one motorised would do, give each dish about 15 degrees of sky of its own and 3 x 80cm would do from 15w to 30e . Its a tad ugly but simple .
    The "planning permission" with the boss, is for one more dish, there's already 2 dishes on the house, one sky and one 13/19degs 80CM dish.

Can you get 100cm+ dishes in mesh? I'm having trouble even finding a online shop that'll deliver 1m dishes to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Bogger77 wrote:
    Can you get 100cm+ dishes in mesh?

Can't say that I've seen them unless you go over 1.5M. In any case, a mesh dish will perform worse than a solid dish in the Ku-band - better off using a 80/90cm solid instead of a 100/110cm mesh.

Why don't you try your existing 80cm on a motor first and see what it's like in wind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

The other possibility for a 1M+ dish in exposed location is a Diseqc-controlled polar mount (DG 100+):
    http://www.jaeger.com.tw/tvro/superjack/diseqc_superjack.htm#dg100

It's a myth that mesh dishes reduce windload. Unless they are for 50Mhz and have HUGE holes.

A Sky mini dish straight on to wind has about the same wind load as solid one and edge on due to roughness a higher wind load

Mesh is to reduce shipping weight and manufacturing cost. They are inferior.

Larger dishes (3.4m) may be mesh to reduce wieght, but in such a case may be only for C band and poor for Ku due to lack of accuracy and size of hole.

Ideally the holes should be 1/10th wavelength or less.

Zaphod wrote:
    Can't say that I've seen them unless you go over 1.5M. In any case, a mesh dish will perform worse than a solid dish in the Ku-band - better off using a 80/90cm solid instead of a 100/110cm mesh.

Why don't you try your existing 80cm on a motor first and see what it's like in wind?
    the 80cm dish is in contant use, I was planning on getting the setup running using 80cm, easier to adjust, and then swap in a larger dish. I was thinking of mounting a bracket so that I could fix the dish when heavy winds are forecast, of course, I'd disable the motor as well :-) to stop accidents.

I'll pick up a diseq motor and try with an 80cm dish.

Advertisement