Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology Predictions

Options
  • 08-05-2007 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Biology is driving me mad, finding it impossible to study for. I can't really find a proper pattern in the papers, except for the fact that sexual reproduction and bacteria/viruses come up pretty much every year. I also think respiration will be a full question. I really don't want to do genetics as I hate the DNA/RNA chapter. I know there's an ecology question every year but we're only going on our field trip on Thursday.
    I'm thinking the heart might come up as it hasn't been examined yet.
    What experiments do you think will come up? Here's hoping one of them's food tests!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'm tipping Respiration, the usual mix of Genetics ( but one has to be careful as i have a feeling a signifigant short q will be on cell division or osmosis)

A full question on sexual reproduction looks the likely choice also.

I advice everyone to have complete knowledge of unit 2, just get stuck in and learn off the stuff, obviously complete knowledge of unit 1.

If you cover Units 1 and 2 completely then you have the privilege of perhaps leaving out a couple of chapters in Unit 3, i'm not doing any of the plant stuff from Unit 3. It's only half a risk because whatever comes up there will be enough for me to get 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'm not sure if I'll cover the whole course or not, I'm concentrating on plants, genetics, the body- lungs, heart, immunity, blah, the kingdoms and pointless stuff like rhizopus, as well as trying to understand the finer details of photosynthesis and resp.

Apparently if you memorise unit 1 and 2 and ignore 3, you can get 60%.

I'm hoping for experiments that AREN'T the dna onion, pondweed one, the heart, the alcohol one or the yeast long one. Food ones would be deadly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

I'm hoping for experiments that AREN'T the dna onion, pondweed one, the heart, the alcohol one or the yeast long one. Food ones would be deadly..

I actually think the DNA onion is a good one. That said, I revised it yesterday so maybe that's the reason. I can't find any set pattern in the papers either, but on the other hand I find it one of my easiest subjects to study for. Maybe cause there's just so bloody much of it so there's always something I don't know.
    A long question on genetics would be good for me, as would one on enzymes. We're going on our field trip on Friday and after that ecology would be good. Then again, that comes up every year, so it's pretty much a given. I'm not really sure about leaving anything else out...I kind of need to do well...but my God I hate plants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I have a feeling photosynthesis will pop up in the short questions and respiration in Section C. Also I think there's a good chance Vegetative propogation, the endocrine system, the senses and the defence system will be making an appearance. But this is only speculation of course. Is anyone else hoping plant reproduction will be kept to a minimum?

Steve01 wrote:
    Is anyone else hoping plant reproduction will be kept to a minimum?

YEP!!
    I'm hoping plant everything will be kept to a minimum. But that's too unrealistic. Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 parky1303

I'd say Know Excretion, Photosynthesis, Respiration, Human Repro AND Plant Repro, The Heart/Circulatory System and Plant Transport.

One of the experiments is definately gonna be the IAA growth regulator one.
    If you gan get a grip on genetics great, but otherwise leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Spliffany692000

I was told their thinking of putting Respiration AND Photosynthesis (cant spell) on this years paper!! I cant study bio at all but it must be done...Im just gonna do the big chapters and and know ALL the experiments INSIDE OUT!!

Goodluck x

I was told their thinking of putting Respiration AND Photosynthesis (cant spell) on this years paper!!

You spelt it right. I think, but I may be wrong, that they generally put both on the paper anyway? Like one of them comes up in the long question, and another in the shorts/experiments??

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Guinea

Supposedly Respiration is due a full question this year, but in Biology, any predicting is futile, as everything can come up in detail in the Section A's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'm not sure if I'll cover the whole course or not, I'm concentrating on plants, genetics, the body- lungs, heart, immunity, blah, the kingdoms and pointless stuff like rhizopus, as well as trying to understand the finer details of photosynthesis and resp.

Apparently if you memorise unit 1 and 2 and ignore 3, you can get 60%.

I would say it Section 1 and 2 could even offer more than 60%

4 short questions 20%

You never know about the experiment

3 Long Questions 45%

So 65% definitely for just section I and II

Im covering section I and II, all the experiments and then doing all the human parts in Section III, can't stand the plant stuff.

• Advertisement

So 65% definitely for just section I and II

Assuming you get it 100% correct

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

We've been told plants plants and more plants...of course, the experiments inside out, human reproduction, hormones and the nervous system, then the usual microbiology stuff...

Does anyone else find the Sample papers from the EdCo papers a bit dodgy??They dont seem to follow the pattern of the normal paper at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Unit 1 =/= Section 1 etc...

My plan for the next few days:
    Do all the exam papers
    Photosynthesis
    Respiration
    DNA
    Genetics
    Sexual Reproduction in Humans
    Sexual Reproduction in Plants
    Endcrine System and Exocrine systems
    and then obviously ecology

Guinea wrote:
    Supposedly Respiration is due a full question this year, but in Biology, any predicting is futile, as everything can come up in detail in the Section A's.

Thank God Section A doesn't require anywhere near the level of detail needed for Section C

lilmizzme wrote:
    We've been told plants plants and more plants...of course, the experiments inside out, human reproduction, hormones and the nervous system, then the usual microbiology stuff...

Does anyone else find the Sample papers from the EdCo papers a bit dodgy??They dont seem to follow the pattern of the normal paper at all...

Yeah, what's with that dodgy nephron? It came up in 2005 as well..can't come up again, surely..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

I'm hoping for a full question on genetics and genetic inheritence anyway. By far my favourite element of the course. With, of course, a bit thrown in on evolution for good measure. :)

I'd love a full question on Human Defence, love it!!Hopefully, ecology will be as easy as last year....name 5 plants anyone??

lilmizzme wrote:
    name 5 plants anyone??
    That won't be a question! It'd more likely be phrased "name 2 monocots and 3 dicots".

they did it last year...that and 5 animals...oh and draw a key to identify them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

That confused a lot of people apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

Biology is weird.

I thought i was gonna fail my mock and got a B1.
    I'm just gonna do whatever comes into my head. And respiration.

Nehpets wrote:
    That confused a lot of people apparently

Confused them cos it looked too damn good to be true...

Pfft, in the papers, I just drew the plants and animals...I never saw that 'HAS SHELL' crap before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

parky1303 wrote:
    I'd say Know Excretion, Photosynthesis, Respiration, Human Repro AND Plant Repro, The Heart/Circulatory System and Plant Transport.

One of the experiments is definately gonna be the IAA growth regulator one.
    If you gan get a grip on genetics great, but otherwise leave it.

parky sounds like he/she's ''one of them''(ie on the inside!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Did you know that it's possible to get an ESSAY type question on the work or Charles Darwin, Wallace, and evolution on the LCH paper? How weird would that be on a biology paper:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

sd123 wrote:
    Did you know that it's possible to get an ESSAY type question on the work or Charles Darwin, Wallace, and evolution on the LCH paper? How weird would that be on a biology paper:eek:

SHOCK!:eek:

sd123 wrote:
    I'd fecking love it! Bring it on!:)

Having done extensive research... I'm predicting Ecology, Scientific method/ Characteristics of life, Photosynthesis, Genetics, Excretion as some questions for Section A. I think there's a good chance of the plant reproduction, enzyme and photosynthesis experiments cropping up. And as for Section C, something on Ecology and Genetics is bound to come up. I'm also guessing Respiration, Defence system, Human and Plant reproduction and something on the breathing system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

Unit 1 and Unit 2 and all the experiments make up 80% of paper, topics from unit 3 are the remaining 20% so at this stage concentrate on units 1 and 2!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

So from what I've heard there was massive uproar from bio teachers last year about that five keys for ecology questions so its doubtful that will reoccur. I am hoping to skip genetics and just learn the definitions for the short q's but Im worried now what with the long question being blended that it will come up some other way?

Advertisement