Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry's Price Plan

Options
  • 08-05-2007 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭

I was in Curry's today and was thinking of buying a tv and use the price plan. The thing is which I dont get is that my friend applied for it who has a good job and had finished paying off his loan was denied ,his girlfriend was in the same boat and same thing,but my other friend applied and i was certain he would get declined as he is in college with loans and he was granted it.
    I am in college as well so I was thinking I should apply.What are this company looking for and is there any thing I should say, the only difference detween what they said was that he is not paying rent.If i want to get it granted is there any thing I should do?

James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

HFC bank are the people who you are applying for the loan from. they supply the service to Curry's. It generally goes down to loan amount and credit history. Your friend might have a bad credit history that you don't know about. The shop won't be able to tell you why if you don't get approval though....data protection and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

catch--22 wrote:
    The shop won't be able to tell you why if you don't get approval though....data protection and all that.

I would have thought one would be entitled to know why one was refused, freedom of information act and all that? Or are the shop just given a yes or no answer by the credit company?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

wyndham wrote:
    I would have thought one would be entitled to know why one was refused, freedom of information act and all that? Or are the shop just given a yes or no answer by the credit company?

The shop will be givin just a yes or no....they are not entitled to the reasons why you could be declined etc under the data protection act. You can, I believe, contact HFC bank themselves directly to seek information...but I don't know what they'd tell you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Be very careful with this price plan if you do get accepted and you choose to use it. They will charge 30% interest on the full amount (back dated to the start date) if you are late on even one payment.

Also, these credit plans normally run for 1 year at which time you've paid about half the value, then they offer you the option of continuing payments at the same rate, for a further 2 or 3 years, at 30% interest. You'd be far better off getting a bank loan or credit union loan, hell you'd even be better off putting it on a credit card as the interest rates are lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I bought a tv in dixons and a wash machine in currys. They will try to give you the long term payment offer which charges interest but I go for the nine months interest free credit. In eight months HFC writes to you telling you that the period is nearly finished but get this: "YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO ANYTHING", you only need to pay them if you want to finish the agreement. What this means in english is, if you want it interest free send us a cheque now. If not, we will be delights to carry on with the standing order for the next couple of years which will cause us to make a pile of money from you in interest charges. I send them a draft by swiftpost to their address in mount street and it can be tracked online at anpost.ie. So if anyone ever says they did not get it on time, I can prove otherwise.

It is great knowing if something blew up/packed up/went bang, tomorrow, I can go with my photos ID and utility bill to any currys or dixons and replace it on the spot. I have a perfect record with them on two different items and if they ever refused me, I would have their bollix.

It took an hour to get appoval once but that was enough time to hit Burgerking.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

I've got a Homebase one, its HFC as well, totally agree with superscouse about paying it off in time. I can pay with a credit card as well as far as I know.

Get this though, Homebase rang, HFC have lost the agreement, need to sign forms again and provide proof of ID again!

Should I insist on getting a letter first from them stating that they lost the first set in case they find them and try taking money out of the account for the lost set! I do have a copy of the first set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I wouldnt bother getting a letter. Whenever I have spoken to them, they have always been civil and helpful (they couldnt be a real bank!!!) Once when i didnt cancel the standing order, one extra payment went down to them. I didnt even know about it until their refund cheque came through the letterbox.

Advertisement