Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting military flag

Options
  • 08-05-2007 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭

http://images.igeawagu.com/200705/finnischmarschband-mit-swastika-fahne.jpg

Nothing sinister, it's the Finnish Airforce band where their flag has a swastika built into it. It goes back before the Nazi's so I guess they never felt the need to change it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Apparently that's the old one, and hasn't been used since the war

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Boston wrote:
    Apparently that's the old one, and hasn't been used since the war

It looks to be in use since the war in that photograph.

This is the Finnish Air Force roundel (as in use today)

Finland_roundel_WW2_border.png

The swastika has been in use in Finland for years, long before the war. Here is some info from wikipedia :

It is a commonly stated that the swastika was adopted after 6 March 1918, when Eric von Rosen transported an airplane, adorned with swastikas as good luck symbols from Sweden to Finnish white army. However, artist Akseli Gallen-Kallela had already planned to use the swastika before the given date. The swastika was officially adopted as the nationality marking on the Finnish Air Force planes at 18 March 1918.

The roundel was used until 1945 after which a blue circle on white was substituted for it. Some decorations and unit flags of the Finnish Air Force feature a blue swastika within a white circle. The swastika is facing the right.

The President of Finland is the Grand Master of the Order of the White Rose. According to the protocol the President shall wear the Cross of Liberty with Chains on formal occasions. The original design of the chains dates from 1918 by the artist Akseli Gallen-Kallela and was decorated with swastikas. The Grand Cross with Chains has been awarded 11 times to foreign heads of state. In order to avoid misunderstanding the swastika decorations were replaced by fir-crosses at the request of the President Kekkonen in 1963.

Also a design by Gallen-Kallela in 1918, the Cross of Liberty has a swastika pattern in the arms of the cross. The Cross of Liberty is depicted in the upper left corner of the flag of the President of Finland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

This is the Finnish Air Force roundel (as in use today)

I hope you mis-typed something.

From later in your post.
    The roundel was used until 1945 after which a blue circle on white was substituted for it

f18.jpg

New Mexico National Guard unit used to have a swastika on its unit patch, until early 1940 or so.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

The swastika is quite an old symbol, I believe, the amusing thing being that it's in Buddhism, I believe it is, that it's quite a major symbol.

I suppose post-war everyone had to distance themselves from it, but personally I wouldn't have a problem with them parading with their old flags like that. Probably just because I'm a s*** stirrer like that and like to get the political correctness bandwagon to set their collective hair on fire ;)

Damn Nazi's, ruining the use of cool runic symbols for the rest of us. (And other assorted crimes against humanity.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Apparently a symbol of peace and goodwill in Buddhism? Yes in fact i think i saw that on a National Geographic before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

They fly hundreds of the things on the rooftops in Seoul.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I hope you mis-typed something.

Sorry, yeah, the roundel changed, but the flags stayed the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

The book "Nicholas and alexandria", there's a picture of the Alexandria at her dressing table and on the table there is a swastika some sort of religous symbol it said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Deacon Blues

The Nazi swastika is "reversed" compared to the more ancient representations. Not sure where that comes from, or means though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

It isa buddhist/Hindu symbol.BUT the arms are reversed.IE reverse the swastika.It is supposedly an ancient Sun symbol and if the arms trail clockwise it attracts forces of good.The way the Nazis have it IE reverse and anti clockwise,it attracts the forces of darkness.

[Useless bit of info that might win you who wants to be a millionare]:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Believe it or not there was a Laundry on Shelbourne Road in Ballsbridge called the Swastika Laundry, which had a big chimney with a Swastika painted on the top. (Much to the horror I'm sure, of the Jewish Residents of Ballsbridge.)
    They had a fleet of red vans with a black swastika painted on each side.

It closed in the 70's,or at least they changed the Company Name, and as far as I know there is still a laundry on the site today (Beside Ballsbridge College)

I worked as a contractor there for Rentokil (don't laugh) in the 90's and came across this framed picture in an disused store explaining why the company used the symbol, when i saw it I just HAD to Have it.
    Consequently it fell into the back of my van.;)

It is too awkward to scan but check out this digital photo of it, and a photo of one of their vans.

Advertisement