Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Sound Cards Worth It?

Options
  • 08-05-2007 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭

I need to do a music assignment on my home computer but it doesn't have a sound card and has no MIDI options in Cubase + can't record anything to Soundforge.
    Pc world have the choice between no brand ones at €25 which gives 5.1 surround or another which is a Brand(though i cant remember the name) for €48 which gives 7.1. I myself have no idea what to look for in a sound card so opinions would be much appreciated.
    This is just to see me over for my assignment and to give me MIDI options on my computer until i can actually afford to get a nice Tascam but does anybody have any recommendations?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

My recommendation, don't crack software.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I never said it was cracked software, I just said that I didn't have a soundcard on my home computer and asked for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

It is kind of weird that you would drop nearly a grand on all that music software and then want to work with a €28 soundcard.

If it's a one off project, the cheapie one should see you through. Check the specs to see that it can do what you need in terms of functionality/connection options. I doubt 7.1 will be of value to you for music production at all. Reaper is fully functional, but you are supposed to pay for it if you end up using it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/28627

Theres a link to a nice cheap card... they work fine and you can spend some more money later when you need something serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

squibs wrote:
    It is kind of weird that you would drop nearly a grand on all that music software and then want to work with a €28 soundcard.

Reaper is fully functional, but you are supposed to pay for it if you end up using it a lot.

My thoughts exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I was just wondering because generally I have access to everything in the Music Labs in college but wanted to get some work done at home but found out our computer had nothing of any use on it. I'll probably need to invest in something over the summer anyway because I'm heading to Berlin on Erasmus next year as part of my Music Tech course. As for the software Cubase isn't cracked its the Le version my friend got free with his Alesis MIDI keyboard and didn't need, Soundforge is Trial Version(though I'll probably end up using audacity).
    Cheers for the link and advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 georgelowden

an audigy zs would be a bit better i think
    i hope tellyhalfwit and sargent-squibs get a life -do who needs sudo software-police ,

Advertisement